Software
Houzz Logo Print
monicashalviri

Closet Nightmare

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I need help organizing my closet I don't even know where to begin! Do I need bins? Baskets? How should I tackle this?!


Here is how it currently looks:


Comments (18)

  • 7 years ago
    Definitely baskets! Have shirts, pants, sets and coats hanging separately. Your blouses folded above the racks or in baskets once purchased. Are you willing to reconfigure your closet?
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Claire! Yes I am how should I do it?

  • 7 years ago
    To double the space remove wire racks and install two rods, one lower, one higher. Stacking stuff on shelves is challenging to keep tidy and neat.

    Use a small dresser instead of folded clothes on a shelf under one side of the lower rod and do the mini-folds of the Marie Kondo method. (It’s amazing how much space you gain by doing that type of folding, about a third more!)

    You have a much wider space than this narrow closet but you get the idea about the double rods.
  • 7 years ago

    Go thru every single item in that closet.

  • 7 years ago

    I got one of those hanging thingies from Walmart for $10. I use it for leggings and tank tops. Also got a plastic,3 drawer bin for $12. You can use the included wheels, or not. 24 high (w/o wheels) x 22 wide x 15 deep.

  • 7 years ago

    Do you use - and love - every single thing in that closet? If not, purge first, see what you have left and it will be easier to figure out how to store it.

  • 7 years ago
    What is the size of your closet?
  • 7 years ago

    Go to this container store webpage: https://www.containerstore.com/s/elfa/best-selling-solutions/closet-solutions/123

    It shows different ways you can configure your closet. Even if you don't go with elfa, it will give you ideas. You'll need to decide how much space you'll devote for hanging (how much for taller rods and how much for shorter rods), how much for folded stuff, if you need space for shoes, etc.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Buy a closet system. Go to Ikea and design it to your exact specifications.

    ELVARLI 3 sections - IKEA · More Info


  • 7 years ago

    Heard it from groveraxle and RTHawk

  • 7 years ago

    This is how I've tackled my closet:

    1. I identify what's working and what's not working for me with my current system. Are things difficult to access and store? Is there simply too much stuff for the space? (Do I have alternate storage areas?) Does everything here belong here? Can I envision my dream closet? I spend a few minutes outlining some goals for the space (e.g. nothing on the floor, easier time getting dressed in the morning, etc.)

    2. I take everything out of the closet to wipe it down and vacuum the floor properly. The clothes get dumped on my bed and the rest of the stuff gets spread out on the floor.

    3. I go through each and every item and purge what I can. Whatever doesn't fit or spark joy does not merit a space in my closet. (I donate or toss items as needed.)

    4. Group like with like. (I question my stock again at this point. Once I see all my shoes together, for example, it's easier to wonder "do I really need this many pairs of shoes in my current life?")

    5. Figure out the best ways FOR ME to store each group (pants, jackets, skirts, blouses, shoes, bags...). This is where the reflection done in the first step is helpful. For example, I know myself enough to know that opaque containers don't work for me because "out of sight = out of mind". Checking out the recommended websites comes into play at this point. I do not consider a new system until I figure out exactly what needs to be stored.

    6. Install new system (if need be) and find an easy to access home for every single item. Part of keeping a space tidy is making it easy to put things back where they belong. (Learnt that tip from Marie Kondo.)

    7. Admire my new works-so-much-better-for-me! closet. Vow to maintain it seasonally. :)

  • 7 years ago

    And once you are finished, don't bring in any new clothing items unless you donate/dispose of a current item. That keeps everything manageable.

  • 7 years ago

    Another vote for double (upper and lower) rods in at least half your closet so you can easily access your work clothes. Oh, this is an old-ish thread. Have you made any progress :-) ?

  • 7 years ago

    Read up on konmari

    You have way to much stuff - time to purge !

  • 7 years ago

    And get rid of wire hangers - only wooden

  • 7 years ago

    Put shoe boxes up on the shelves, where it's impossible to keep things straight, and add shelves for sweaters and other things you're keeping in there (if you don't have a dresser in the bedroom itself). Use a closet system similarly -- hang things on two rods, have dedicated shelves for shoes (wide enough for boxes, or narrow for loose shoes), and add drawers or more shelves for sweaters and other types of clothes. Hang pants, singly or using the rackes that hold several in vertical rows of clips.


    2-Pack, Four Tier Skirt/Pant Hanger, Chrome/Black · More Info

    Bins or drawers for anything small or loose. Look for things that could hang on a hook on the return (front walls of closet), like small purses... Good luck!

  • 7 years ago

    Get rid of any clothes you can’t fit then arrange them by color. I had a closet that was worse than that! I did All that and within 2 days it looked perfect!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths