Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkpetre

All-white kitchen remodel: Marble backsplash makes counters dingy!

jkpetre
4 years ago

We're at the very beginning of our remodel. We're refacing all our cabinets & having the boxes painted white w/ new shaker doors, doing quartz for the counter tops (have decided on Caesarstone Frosty Carrina) and want a marble backsplash that has more white tones than gray.

Dilemma: Counters look DINGY next to white cabinets & marble tiles. We're looking at Bianco Bello marble tiles for the backsplash. We really want a backsplash that looks more sophisticated than plain subway tiles - which is why we want marble (we know it etches, stains - we'll deal with that). We want something timeless, that's not trendy.

We're not 100% on the countertop yet and decided on Frosty Carrina because we want white, but not so stark that it's just a plain white slab. We like the subtle, less in your face veining of the FC, but the tone of the stone is more ivory than we'd hoped for.

Does anyone have experience with Frosty Carrina counters & a marble backsplash? (I've already read the discussions on this topic but want fresh eyes & opinions!) Is there a better option for the counters that would be more cohesive with an all-white (crisp) look?

I posted a few pictures to show the counter sample we have w/ the marble we're looking at:

This shows the flooring and the counter on top w/ marble below:

Here's an example on our existing cabinets in another room:

This is the room that is across from the kitchen to give you an idea of the feel of the space:

This is the existing kitchen. The bank of cabinets on the wall with the range hood will be gone & two picture windows will be added on either side of a new stainless range hood. The cabinets will be refaced w/ new, white shaker doors/drawers.

Thanks for all the input!!

Comments (23)

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

I like the marble with your cabinet color. I do not like the backsplash tile with the countertop, nor with the cabinet paint color. Look for something more the white of the countertop.

• shead
    4 years ago

I would not mix real stone with faux stone (i.e., the marble with the quartz). The trouble with mixing whites is that inevitably one IS going to be dingier than the others and you only notice it when contrasted.

Have you considered using the same quartz as a backsplash?

• jkpetre
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@shead - we don't want to use the same quartz for the backsplash. There's SO much out there about not mixing the quartz w/ a natural stone - but this quartz doesn't have the faux veining like many do, so we're planning to mix.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Mix up the colors in the backsplash using some marble in the mix.

jkpetre thanked JudyG Designs
  • mvcanada
    4 years ago

I think all 3 of your whites are fighting. I don't think the counter plays well with the white of your cupboards and I definitely think the marble backsplash tile is not right with the counter.

If you like Caesarstone, have a look at some of their "whiter" whites. Two that look like they might be whiter are White Attica and Empira White. Both are below.

5151 Empira White · More Info

5143 White Attica · More Info

Then, for backsplash, yes, one option would be to use the quartz for that too. Or, choose a light grey colour out of the stone and use that. I agree that real marble doesn't always work well with quartz. There are exceptions of course, but the tones have to match and that can be tricky.

Or maybe you can find a grey marble. Sometimes Carrara can be quite grey, more than white - it might work. Or bardiglio maybe too. But some of those marbles have a lot of character or movement in them that might fight with the veining in the quartz.

Your floor is lovely and I think it will work beautifully with your cabinets and a marble looking quartz. I think you just need a few tweaks on your choices and you will be really happy with your new kitchen.

jkpetre thanked mvcanada
  • jkpetre
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@mvcanada - the white on the cabinets is only for example. We still need to select the color. The pics include our existing cabinets from the living room. We have Carrara in the living room already & that works really well w/ the white cabinets/our floors - so maybe that's a good idea to lean more toward the gray tones of Carrara than the whiter tile we're leaning toward. I think Bardiglio is too intense for us. Thanks for the input!

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Real and fake marble do not mix well, ever.

• jkpetre
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Zalco - I disagree. The Frosty Carrina doesn't have the intense veining that is trying to mimic marble the way others do. I think it's more challenging to combine the two and most just write it off as a design faux pas to be on the safe side (or treat it like a crime).

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

Marble look counter with marble backsplash is too much marble, IMO.

jkpetre thanked ci_lantro
  • Nidnay
    4 years ago
    I understand that you view the Carrina as not having the heavy veining similar to other types of quartz, but to my eye it still looks like it’s trying to mimic marble. I don’t care for the counter at all. The marble backsplash is beautiful and classy and the quartz counters really stick out like a sore thumb....not only because of the color, but because of the fact that it’s a man-made manufactured material butting up to the authentic stone backsplash. To my eye it’s simply a clash of materials.
  • Kitchen_ Reno
    4 years ago

Frosty Carrina may not have intense veining, but it still has color variations that mimic marble. It's a mistake to try and mix them, in my opinion.

• Hillside House
    4 years ago

Another one that says faux and real do not ever look good together... whether it’s marble and quartz or wood and wood-look tile, it just always looks off.

You seem pretty set in your wants, though, so good luck to you.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

Yup, everyone agrees that real and faux marble do not work well together. I'd either do the real marble backsplash and a plain white quartz counter top or the Frosty Carrina with a handmade white porcelain or ceramic tile. If you use a crackled tile, you'd have some interest without the marble veins working against one another.

• wilson853
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

kompy's personal kitchen mixed Silestone Lagoon quartz countertops with a marble backsplash and it turned out beautifully. She is a well respected kitchen designer who used to post on here frequently. Here's a couple of pics.

https://www.houzz.com/projects/289534/1930-s-Formal-Vintage-English-Kitchen

• Rita Nistler
    4 years ago

We found 3 whites that we love together. The cabinets are a dove white, counter top is Viatera Minuet quartz (the smaller sample on the edge) and backsplash is Lansdale Carrera Amalfi from the Tile Shop. The marble is creamy with very subtle warm veining and tiny sparkly flecks. Fingers crossed that when we get the marble in larger quantities it is as uniform as the box they had at the store!!! The color variation on the sample we have is very subtle and diffuse and does not fight with the counter top.

• Tyler Smith
    4 years ago

@jkpetre Can we get an update on this?? I am currently in the EXACT same position. My counters are looking a bit dingy with the marble backsplash I want!!!!! Only difference is my cabinets will stay an Oak color.

• jkpetre
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sure! We ended up going with a glazed subway tile. The tile is Shadbrick Light. It's not a stark white and there are different shades of white, gray and cream but very subtle. It stands out a lot more in pictures. In the end, the white of all the marbles was too white and the counters would have looked dingy. This seemed to be a good compromise. Our counters are Caesarstone Calacatta Nuvo.

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

Congratulations, it is beautiful.

• Hillside House
    4 years ago

The tile you chose looks lovely. Great choice!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

Very nicely done!

• Barbara Menefee
    4 years ago

Looks beautiful! Great choices.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    4 years ago

Ahhh, beautiful choice and such a gorgeous light! Everything shines! I was going to suggest adding Frosty Carrina as a backsplash, too, but that would give somewhat subtler look than what you have right now. Lovely choice. Enjoy your kitchen!