Software
Houzz Logo Print
momofthreema

Colored Backsplash?

7 years ago

Looking for feedback on our backsplash. We did grey in our previous house and I loved it, but now u would like a little more color in our current home.
Anyone have thoughts on backsplash tile?
Color or no? And why.
I am including a picture of tile I am considering and the counters we plan to use.
Thanks!

Comments (33)

  • 7 years ago

    I think color would be so nice with the subdued tops and white cabs. The blue is my favorite. I have a modern kitchen with Taj Mahal tops and got sea green glass in one area. I love it.


    Encinitas Kitchen · More Info


  • 7 years ago

    Suzy Q, love the glass, beautiful!

  • 7 years ago

    Is the last picture your kitchen?

  • 7 years ago

    Color can be great in a backsplash!! I love the soft crackle colors posted. Fireclay & Encore have some options.

  • 7 years ago

    No Claire, unfortunately, we’re not that far yet. Just an example
    Of the quartz we plan to use.

  • 7 years ago

    What is the color of the flooring, cabinets, your walls? Or are in the stage where nothing is installed yet?

  • 7 years ago

    More samples just arrived :)
    Bottom and right side tiles are Mercury Mosaic and the top four on the left are Julep Tile.

  • 7 years ago

    You can also look at Pratt & Larson and Encore, both companies have a large selection of colors and glazes.
    https://prattandlarson.com/colors/glazes/watercolors/
    http://encoreceramics.com/product-category/glazes/

  • 7 years ago

    Tile bar has some good ones...


  • 7 years ago

    I like that green. I finally got around to doing my backsplash and remaining countertop in a Pratt & Larson green. (Fireclay's "Kiwi" was the first choice but it wasn't smash-resistant enough for the counter.)

  • 7 years ago


    We have red back painted glass sheets and we love it!

  • 7 years ago

    Fori, do you have any pictures?

    Lurker Lisa, so fun!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I do like the images you posted of that white and grey quartz counter and the grey handmoulded splash tiles. If you stay neutral on the attached finishes like counters and tile, then you can paint your walls a color if you want, which is easy to change when you tire of it. And often there are many items in a kitchen with color, so there is bound to be splashes of it on counters and shelves. Think long-term on the fixed elements.

  • 7 years ago

    I love a colored tile backsplash! Mine is Jeffrey Court tile. I'm so over everything white on white, gray on gray or white on gray.

  • 7 years ago

    I'm planning on a very subtle blue for our backsplash.....most similar to that juliptile pic you posted. The one I've narrowed down on is a Waterworks tile, but just requested one last sample from Heath to make sure I didn't miss a good one. We have a warm gray quartz so it's been hard to find a blue that was warm enough to coordinate with it. The tile from Waterworks is listed in their gray family but in our kitchen, it has a slight blue tint.

  • 7 years ago

    I love the colored backsplashes! My plan is something similar to CPArtist - but I am going to wait until counters are installed to even pick samples up.

  • 7 years ago

    Love the red and the sage green!

  • 7 years ago

    Oh and the green grey

  • 7 years ago

    http://www.sandandsisal.com/2016/05/coastal-kitchen-makeover.html.

    Found the above site interesting using coastal colours, lovely ideas,

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    For many, a kitchen is a place where friends and family gather. It is a great area to add personal touches and color. It doesn't have to be dramatic color, but something that draws the eye. A mix of colors and shapes like you have selected are a great idea! Please share the finished product and Good Luck!!

  • 7 years ago

    Preaching to the converted as I opted for colored tiles in my newly remodeled kitchen - also did colored tiles in my newly remodeled bathrooms :-).





  • 7 years ago

    Love all these pictures of people’s fun and unique backsplashes...I am getting excited!

    Thanks for sharing!

  • 7 years ago

    Mark_rachel, I ordered some samples from tile bar thanks!

  • 7 years ago

    We went with floor And decor la belle in air 3x12 it’s likea blue grey. We tried to find a green, but that was near impossible to find a color we liked that wouldn’t kill the pocket book.


    Also attached a better picture of our counter top.

    Manufactured said it’s super white.


    sorry It’s not cleaner photos.



  • 7 years ago

    I love the first pic posted...green glass colors with white grout and white counter. In that case, the white of the grout refers to the white counter, and the greens are soft but pretty.
    I do not like big contrast between backsplash and counter such as colored glass splash and veined counter unless the glass matches the veining.
    IMO, the splash color must reference the counter material even if the only match is the grout to the counter. Differing patterns don’t work unless the color matches.

  • 7 years ago

    following..

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I’m a big fan of color in backsplashes too: Helen’s and CPArtist’s are two of my recent favorites around here.

    if you love color, go for it! I especially like your blue tile from the Instagram pic in your first post- seems a natural compliment to your counters. But obviously get several samples, i did not even attempt to choose from my many samples until everything else was installed, especially new lighting.

    My previous kitchen I went with a safe neutral backsplash since we were looking at an upcoming resale. But, it was so boring to me as a lover of color. My next house was done For Me and my tastes, as we plan to stay many years and I wanted to Love it, this time around.

  • 7 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I think this is like the mercury mosaics tile that I posted first with the slight variations from tile to tile.
  • 7 years ago

    Trying this again, I think the pic had something wrong with it.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    it all depends on the color cabinets and countertops you are planning on installing. Dark cabinets, light backsplash and so on. Try a neutral themed kitchen can add value to your property and look great too.

  • 7 years ago

    Mark_rachel, thanks for the fireclay recc! It is one of the finalists for our backsplash, and I just love it!