Software
Houzz Logo Print
traab21

Paint house white?

7 years ago

I love our house and I know the navy looks great, but I've been dying to paint it white with black trim. I'd also replace most of the landscaping (except the trees) Do you think white would look good?

Comments (13)

  • 7 years ago

    White with black trim is a fad based on the faux modern farmhouse trend. You don't own a modern farmhouse.

    While you could certainly paint it white, I would explore some other options for the windows. They may well be vinyl and cannot be successfully painted. You need to explore your material options. This will help drive your decision.

    Location can also drive your decision. Is this home in the mid-west or deep south? White is reflective of heat. The navy will absorb heat and fade in strong sun. Successful color choice always takes the location into consideration.

  • 7 years ago

    The windows are actually wood since the house is from the 50's, so they can be painted. But what color would you suggest? It's the house I grew up in, so I LOVE it as is, but I just feel like painting it would make it my own!

  • 7 years ago

    Oh and I'm in Southern California.

  • 7 years ago

    I like the color it is now, much better than I would like white.

  • 7 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I like the color the house is very charming just needs landscaping. Stop watching hgtv
  • 7 years ago

    lol thank you for all your comments, looks like I need to keep it as is!

  • 7 years ago

    I think a soft white on the siding with black windows would look great. Works well with the brick and the roof color and would show off your pretty plantings well. Lovely yard, btw.

  • 7 years ago

    It sounds like you have decided and I think the blue is the better choice. I disagree that the current roof color would look good with black trim. To me, a charcoal roof rather than brown is better for the white/black combo.


    Your home is super cute! But eliminating the tall evergreens at the front would really make it even better.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Agree with above comments. The evergreens should go. What bothers me is actually the door color and I LOVE red doors. But somehow, that one doesn't work for me, wish I had another color suggestion for you.

  • 7 years ago

    White shows dirt and mildew much worse than darker colors. I'm also in Southern California (Westchester neighborhood of Los Angeles), and I recently painted the white upper portion of my house a deep teal color, which I like much better, and so do the neighbors. White is not a very popular color for houses in my neighborhood anymore.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I've been thinking of this thread since I'm researching whites for a MBR remodel. Hope the OP isn't long gone.

    This is what I'd envisioned for a soft chalky white & soft black windows for your home. The house body paint is Benjamin Moore China White, which looks grey on the chip but whitish when up on the walls. Don't know what the off black is for the windows, but it's lovely. I still think this combo would look fabulous on your house.



    I've had a white house for 11 years. No, it doesn't show dirt or mildew more than the neighbor's dark colored homes. (And it's humid & very wooded in my corner of CT; dirt & mildew ought to be a problem, but it hasn't been.) In fact it looks fresh & clean, & I'm thinking of going for an even brighter, crisper white like Chantilly Lace for our repaint this summer.

  • 7 years ago

    I LOVE that rendering and that white! thanks so much!!