Software
Houzz Logo Print
shortped

Living room help

13 years ago
I have a LR that is 16 x 26. The side facing the front of the home is a window identical to pic #4. (I only had a pic of dining room window, which is the match on the other side of the foyer.). The side facing the back of the house has the door...out there will eventually be a large covered porch. When you enter the room, it is pic # 1 that you see, which is the exterior wall of the home. The large window is to the right and the door to the left. I am just beginning. I live in PA, but love Southern and Cape Cod (coastal) decor. My taste is eclectic. The home was built in 1929. I have a blank slate. I want to be able to have bright and cheery for spring and summer, change to some autumn hues in the fall, and be all about traditional Christmas. How do I achieve this? Also, furniture placement. I like tufted sofas. I have a Victorian settee that I plan to reupholster, possibly for foyer though. The chairs are a yr old but do not have to be in this space. I love many colors, so I am open to suggestions. I will post a couple more pics.

Comments (26)

  • 13 years ago
    The front of our new old house...lol. We painted the old painted brick SW clary sage. I plan to put black shutters on some windows...we stuck up a couple to see in this pic. The door I am not sure. The large window on the right is the side of the LR. When I saw this Schumacher fabric in Hilton Head, I fell in love. I probably cannot do this year-round in PA though. I just want many colors to have as "jumping off point".
  • 13 years ago
    Sorry....I have fabric stuff stuck to walls...courtesy of my hubby...is the orange too bright? I saw "soft pumpkin" the other day which is lighter, and I think this paint is maybe too crazy....hubby picked it.
  • 13 years ago
    I do like the green room with the amazing picture window. I would keep that room to blend with the outdoor view, which could use some improving;). If you are looking for seasonal adaption I would paint cream colors.
  • 13 years ago
    We know that everything needs done. The house had no love for 60 years :(. That's why it is a daunting task.
  • 13 years ago
    Well, I think this house just got lucky! I have a feeling it will be a stunner when you get done;)
  • 13 years ago
    I love the dining room colors, and the color of the living room is very pretty and very bright. But if you're have some misgivings about the shade or color -- try selecting other wall colors, then paint small inexpensive art canvas the colors you like and test how the other colors look throughout the day and evening. For inspiration, check out fabric websites such as Brunschwig & Fils or Calico Corners spring -summer 2013 catalog on line. That way you can identify the fabrics and colors you are drawn to and you may then be able to decide how well the wall color will work in your lovely home.
  • 13 years ago
    Shortped, I'm a little concerned about how those orange walls will look with your traditional Christmas decor???
  • 13 years ago
    Foyer pics...when you walk in front door, LR on right and DR on L., then wall where old settee is sitting. Pocket door is to my office room. It must've been a man's den....it has a built in with bar are, safe, and rifle cabinet. As you can see, the hardwood all needs refinished. The treads of the stairs and bannister are dark, which I will keep. Risers and spindles will remain white. I want a "wow" factor when you walk into the home. First, is the settee too large for there? Also, would you paint or paper foyer? My ceilings are 8'4". Paint pocket door to office? Ideas for light fixtures? Radiators at door have benn painted and put back...sorry the are missing in photo. I have thought about small "X" benches there for handbags, etc or umbrella stand. Would love ideas for entryway rug, stair runner or not, etc. opinions on everything, please!
  • 13 years ago
    Beautiful new "old" home! I love the fabric, as well, and like to switch things up seasonally. I'd suggest a more neutral color for the walls and then pull out and play up the blue and white for spring and summer, the oranges for fall, and the greens for your traditional Christmas. You can switch out rugs, pillows and the pieces on the mantle, add a blue and white garden seat...
  • 13 years ago
    Before you paint the room again, I would try to put some furniture and other pieces in there. You would be surprised how much it would tone down the intensity of the color.
  • 13 years ago
    When I think of cape code style I sully think of blue orange and white or cream, so the orange you have now is good, maybe you should add a tv over the fireplace maybe get a lighting blue color for the couch to soften it up but still have the electric feel too.over by the window I would add a white desk under the window.
  • 13 years ago
    Love your house. I don't think the orange is the best color though. I would always think of Halloween. I had a neighbor that painted her house that color and it never grew on the neighbors. But, you can always select warm tones in other shades. I really do think that would look better.
  • 13 years ago
    Ok, so I went and got more paint....I don't have a new pic yet, but I think I am going to use SW persimmon in LR, the SW shagreen in the DR (the top color of the two tone room), and SW cupola yellow in the foyer. My husband thinks that we should wallpaper only the wall in the foyer where the pocket door is shown and paint the rest. I feel that with the door and the slope of the ceiling to the R of that wall...it may not look right. Any opinions?
  • 13 years ago
    My opinion is with the colorful paint palette and vibrant fabric, wallpaper isn't needed in the foyer and think you're right about it calling attention to the sloped ceiling by being only on the one wall.

    Just curious, are you or your husband redheads, or perhaps Autumns?
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Shortped: your home has a lot of character. Love the color on the walls. I would choose a dark color for the door trim. Updating the chandelier that will enhance the room. You also have two great focal points in the rooms the fireplace and that great window view. Choose a mirror and lighting above the fireplace mantle. You could also paint the fireplace. Good luck. Thanks for sharing.
  • 13 years ago
    Love the colors (and I'm an eclectic person, too). I think that art is an awesome way to bring your own style to a room and play with mixing and matching what you love. ie: a more modern piece that goes with your floral fabric, or a more tradition landscape with a punch. Either way - I suggest original art, you can find some on a new iPad app called ARTtwo50 (arttwo50.com). It let's you visualize a bunch of different works on your own wall so you can easily compare and find what you like best. It's all 250$ , so you can get a great piece for a good price. A sample room of how it works looks like this:
  • 13 years ago
    No, bluenan, we are not redheads. Lol
  • 13 years ago
    Ok...here is SW Persimmon on the right and an alternate pillow I found at Home Goods. What do you think? Does anyone know where I can find this fabric?
  • 13 years ago
    You have a lovely colonial revival house. I think the coral is a more neutral color and will be easier to work with (maybe a bit lighter--will be intense on a big wall), but I would keep the foyer white to mediate between the two rooms. Then you can just add some colorful accents or pillows in the fabrics you love, and seasonal decorations. It is so classic and lovely as is and a contrasting color will draw attention to the slope..

    If you ever have the budget, I would replace the two big picture windows with something more in keeping with the character of the home. Perhaps a triple cottage style (top smaller than bottom) 6 over one. It will take some fiddling around to find something that is right, but keep the panes the same proportion and size as the others (very important and often overlooked) and get full simulated muntins if you can to give it visual weight and be closer to original.

    I the meantime, you need window treatments to visually narrow them. Perhaps side panels and a shade or even shutters.
  • 13 years ago
    What kind of shade goes with this lamp?
  • 13 years ago
    I really like the SW/ persimmon and the pillow! I'm thinking a simple drum shade for the lamp trimmed at the top and bottom with a band of gray to mimic the pinstripe on the lamp, top it with a fabulous crystal finial!
  • 13 years ago
    I love that persimmon colour. It has a slight pinky undertone so it doesn't look as brash as the first orange. Such a beautiful house. Stunning.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for the help...I will keep posting :)
  • 13 years ago
    The SW persimmon paint color and HG pillow are very pretty. Do you plan on a neutral sofa and maybe one vibrant armchair? You may want to check out the following sources: Anthropologie has some terrific living room chairs that have classic lines but vibrant fabrics much like the pillow you selected. Onekingslane.com is a terrific and ever-changing source for terrific furniture, rugs, accessories at different price points (both new and antique). Since you mention your design style is Cape Cod coastal and Southern --- maybe a natural woven rug (sisal) or a beautiful overdyed wool area rug that would play off your wall color without detracting from the lovely wood floors. In your foyer, have you considered a lantern type ceiling fixture, a small chest or demilune style cabinet or table paired with a smaller upholstered bench or even a small dark rattan upholstered settee? (Fits the Southern or Cape Cod look) I would not necessarily cover the lovely dark stair treads. What about drawing attention to your stairs with gold or painted letters or numbers? And finally, have you considered a mural on the wall where the settee is in your foyer -- nothing too grandiose -- perhaps a tree? Your home has great bones!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    If you are trying to create coastal feel in your room, art may help. If you visit our Houzz page and look under the project called "COASTAL ART" you will see images that may work in your room... Raisa