Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anoukq

Late start in NW damp shade, compacted clay: grass selection help plz!

anoukq
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I rent, and my semi-negligent landlord promised a lot and did nothing with my backyard this year.

He finally got around to doing what he said he would do (have the overgrown holly pest tree trimmed, get some mulch, and rototill), but now it's almost June, and I'm not sure what I should do.

I am in Portland, OR (8b), and have compacted clay--did my best to ameliorate it last year, but not going to spend $700 on someone else's property again this year after it barely made a dent. Also, partial shade/shade (the pest holly), surrounded by buildings, and a Northern exposure.

Last year, I got a fine fescue/perennial ryegrass ecolawn mix from a local supplier; I mixed in a bit of poa trivialis. Nothing lasted through the winter except for the trivialis--I've done more reading and realize that FFs are ok for dry shade, but not where you've got some soil problems like the compaction here.

Given what I've read I've kind of narrowed it down to two alternatives:

• Since the trivialis worked, I would've liked to try a 25% perennial ryegrass (for growth)/65% poa trivialis/10% poa supina mix (shade and damp), but I'm concerned that the latter two will fade away given that they'll be bearing the brunt of the summer heat. Could I ameliorate that by being diligent about watering? Also concerned because the only place I can find the magic poa supina now is Outside Pride, which has pretty poor reviews everywhere (significantly, Dave's Garden, which I trust).
  • I know "turf type"/dwarf tall fescues have deep roots, and some home interest blogs specifically recommend them for clay. There are also shade tolerant varieties, too (I know the Jonathan Green ones get good reviews, and they were very helpful when I called customer service earlier this year). I'm concerned, though, because everywhere I read cautions against mixing TF with other types of seed because of its clumping growth and color--but is this less true now, given the new varieties (some of which include rhizomes)? I know it doesn't germinate as quickly as ryegrass, and my dog and I are eager to play in the backyard! Also, would the deep-roots-in-clay appeal be negated by the slow start to the season?

Or else I hear about the merits of creeping bentgrass here, but supposedly have to cut super short... or else be totally radical and try a shade-tolerant warm-season grass (zoysia? can you grow it from seed?) just as an annual this year?

Probably overthinking all this; kind of feel like maybe I should just toss down my leftover ecolawn (ryegrass/fine fescue) and then overseed with poa trivialis/supina in the fall?

Any advice would be TOTALLY appreciated.

Comments (6)

• anoukq
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@mishmosh

Thank you, you clearly know what you're talking about so I really appreciate your help.

You don't share the reservations about Outside Pride that I've seen?

What do you think you would do, optimally, in my situation? Seasonal flooding, drought in the summer, dappled shade--I'm assuming that you're in/familiar with the area west of the Cascades, given everything.

What about using some shade-optimized tall fescue (for the clay) or bentgrass (hardy, shade) too? Don't know if you're in Oregon, but PT Lawn has a biofilter turf mix for the shade that looks good (annual ryegrass, poa trivialis, creeping red fescue, creeping/colonial bentgrasses). Any opinion on that?

BTW: I am not concerned about color at all, wish I had the luxury of that. Just want something to grow and STAY over the winter. Have you tried poa supina at all? It looks better than trivialis in a lot of ways, most importantly wear quality/durability over the long term. And if you add 10% to a mix of other grasses, it apparently ultimately takes over, which is cool. Check out, e.g., MSU (they are playing football on it, this is no fine fescue!).

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Oregon grows more cool season turf grass seed than anywhere else in the country. You should have no difficulty at all in locating a heavy duty shade blend mix formulated specifically for your area.

However, regardless of what sort of grass seed you use, unless you can correct the existing conditions - compaction, assumed low fertility, drainage issues, shade - you are never going to develop a thick, healthy lawn. The odds are stacked against you.

For a rental property, I'm not sure I would spend the $$, the time or the effort. And we have passed the window for spring seeding in the PNW....it will be tough to get any new seed established now before the summer heat and drought set in.

anoukq thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • anoukq
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, gardengal! Yep, if it was my property, I'd definitely do a groundcover/permeable hardscaping. But I'm not going to sit around in dirt all summer. It's not that late; that's just the reason that I posed the question whether to even bother with anything other than just putting down ryegrass. Grass seed isn't terribly expensive, you know?

While we do grow a ton of grass seed, it is surprisingly difficult to find a turfgrass that works in this situation here. Literally, the only place that I've found poa supina available for retail mail order to Oregon is Outside Pride. And apparently, poa trivialis is being phased out for use overseeding on southern golf courts as an institutional practice, so supplies of it are very hard to find.

But that's because, as you say--this really isn't meant to have lawn w/o some major investment in the soil. But I'm between a rock and a hard place as a broke renter: it's lawn seed and then maybe think about some hardy ornamentals suited to clay and shade to start from bare roots when they're cheap, in the fall.

• mishmosh
    4 years ago

I've not had issues with Outside Pride or their seed products. Their seed is not certified but I don't think that's a problem in this instance. If your problem is very wet soil spring and fall coupled with shade, poa trivialis is a good choice. it is extremely cold tolerant. Once established, it goes dormant in the summer if not irrigated but survives just fine. If you plant it now, you will have to irrigate through the summer to keep it alive--but that's probably true no matter what you plant if you do it now.

I have no experience with Supina.

• Embothrium
    4 years ago

If a spot is really shady it is just not possible to have a nice thick lawn, no matter what kind of grass is planted. And if the involved soil is greasy when wet, kept moist with irrigation all summer then trying to walk on it repeatedly - such as when mowing, for instance - can be problematic.