Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21884067

'The Ancient Mariner'...

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

..this is 'Queen of Sweden' on huge scented steroids, that's sent her into a different world...

..if you're zone 8 ish.. a rose that has everything... stunning spring foliage, virtually thornless… healthy... huge blooms, some sweetly scented, slight hints of myrrh.. some musky sweet... upright vase shape habit... 6 x 5'... if there's one failing.. I found it slow to start..

If this rose is new to you... let me tell you.. you are in for a treat...



.. today.. a little way off full flush... so many lovely blooms to come..








Comments (40)

  • 7 years ago

    One of my favorite roses and I only had it a year !! Beautiful photos !

  • 7 years ago

    I love that color and shape! And virtually thornless is a gift unto itself...especially after I was looking at the thorns on Mdm Hardy. Holy guacamole! I’m terrified!

  • 7 years ago

    I agree. Gorgeous!

  • 7 years ago

    I just planted it this year, I can’t wait for it to bloom!

  • 7 years ago

    What a beautiful rose, and so many buds, looks fabulous, Marlorena.

    It looks elegant in the vase as well as outdoors.

    That's a lovely vase and plate, nice pattern...

  • 7 years ago

    So beautiful! If I had more room......

  • 7 years ago

    Wow..on my list...

  • 7 years ago

    That IS a wonderful looking rose, Marlorena! I wish I could grow them all. Lisa

  • 7 years ago

    This is phenomenal. Wow thank you for showing us how amazing this rose is. I have a spot in mind just for her.

  • 7 years ago

    Stunning! I've put off buying this rose because I thought it looked too similar to Olivia Rose Austin but you're seriously making me reconsider!

  • 7 years ago

    I don’t have a spot picked out but I’m sure there’s a home for her here somewhere:)

  • 7 years ago

    OMG, Marlorena! Is EVERYTHING in your garden more stunningly beautiful than a David Austin catalog?! Carol

  • 7 years ago

    Fabulous Marlorena! I wish I could experience the scent. Thank you for sharing your pics!

    Ann

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Okay, I must be the only dummy here, since I'm confused as to which rose this is, Ancient Mariner as in the title or Queen of Sweden as named in the discussion. I've looked them up but can't tell them apart. Marlorena, I need your help. Whichever one it is, I love it in that vase.

  • 7 years ago

    It looks so excellent, Marlorena! I want to grow this one so badly but the only spot I have left open is between two light pink roses and I’m afraid it’d be creating a wall of pink. I do plan on growing it the future, thanks to your enabling ;)

  • 7 years ago

    I think she means Ancient Mariner is in the vase and is like an extreme version of Queen of Sweden with the "on steroids" reference. I have Q of S and she is not this scrumptious.

  • 7 years ago

    So gorgeous, Marlorena!

    I had a spot open up in the garden and had almost decided on Queen of Sweden to fill it. The Ancient Mariner is now the top contender. It’s a deeper pink than QoS, yes?

    I can’t wait to see pics of the rose in peak bloom.

    Jo

  • 7 years ago

    ...thanks so much.. glad you liked this rose... Ingrid, yes Sheila is right... I just felt the rose resembles Queen Of Sweden, as you've noted.. but larger, and sweeter in all its parts.. so many pink Austins look like replicas of each other in some way...

    jo...yes I think it has a deeper pink centre.. I do hope you get it one day...

  • 7 years ago

    Does anyone know how shade tolerant TAM is?

  • 7 years ago

    totoro… good question..but not one I can answer from here, as mine is in mostly full sun.. so have to hope someone nearer to you can offer some experience on that... be good to find that out..

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I personally like the pictures of the Ancient mariner much more than my Queen of Sweden. I will add him to my garden. Marlorena does it get any peach in it?


    @Jo, this is what my queen of Sweden looks like and tho pretty, I don’t think it could ever be as beautiful as the blooms from the Ancient M posted. Maybe It is just too young but so far I am not truly impressed with her beauty or major blooming abilities. If I could chose I would get the Ancient Marriner. It is very healthy and needs no spray here so if black spot is a problem QoS is has some good points.



  • 7 years ago

    Diane... no... there is no peach in The Ancient Mariner... I've not seen any … it's pure pink with pale pink/blush white, outer petals...

    Your Queen of Sweden above .. which is very nice.. looks like a young version of my rose, including the foliage,... which is why I connected the two...

  • 7 years ago

    Marlorena I want to thank you for making this post again. Your rose is incredible and it made this one go from a "maybe just another pink" to must have.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Dianela- thanks for posting pics of your QoS. It’s beautiful. There was a reason why I had narrowed it down as my top choice! I like it!

    I am in a quandary because I do like both roses. QoS grows in a park nearby and I have had the opportunity of seeing it in person, which is always helpful. But Marlorena, your pics of The Ancient Mariner have me smitten.

    The easiest solution is to get both- surely I can fit them in somewhere!!!

    Jo

  • 7 years ago

    Marlorena - you grow both, right?

    Would you compare the growth, bush shape and size and the flower power of the two roses for me, please?

    Thanks!

    Jo

  • 7 years ago

    Oh brother, thank you Marlorena and Sheila, for clarifying what was already crystal clear in the first place. I'm off to look for "smart" pills on Amazon.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Diane... delighted you are considering this rose... it will have tough competition in your fabulous rose garden but I have every confidence in it..

    Jo... same goes...whichever you choose..

    whoops.. just saw your post Jo.. no I don't have Queen of Sweden.. I do have photos of it in a nursery field near me, but not in my garden... so I can't really compare, but obviously size wise, they are very different....

    Ingrid.... not your fault.. it was a poor analogy on my part... just sprung from the top of my sometimes weird head..

  • 7 years ago

    I know it’s a risk planting bareroots this late but I noticed Wayside Gardens had it for $5.95 this morning and so I purchased 2 along with a second The Poets Wife. Hopefully they’ll make it and in a few years look close to as wonderful as Marlorena‘s do.

  • 7 years ago

    Fabulous Dave... those are so cheap... who could resist?...

  • 7 years ago

    Jo I think you found the perfect solution, get both =). If you have the space you can't go wrong with two beautiful roses.

  • 7 years ago

    Dianela- ah, I don’t have anymore space; it’s so irksome particularly since there are so many new (to me) roses I’d like to get! But, Tiffany has been underperforming for a few years now so I had decided to give the spot to QoS - her tall and narrow habit would be ideal for the spot. If I put in The Ancient Mariner instead, then I’d have to move a clump of bearded iris and some other plants. I really don’t know how I’d fit both.... <sigh>.

    Dave - I think you may have got the last two TAMs; it’s now out of stock :-)

    Jo

  • 7 years ago

    totoro, I have two, one getting full day sun and the other gets about 4 to 6 hours. This is the one in the shade, second year and a bit taller than the one in the full sun


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago


    Houzz won’t let me post

  • 7 years ago

    TB and Farmerduck, thanks for the sun exposure info. I think I will put it in a south facing area.

  • 7 years ago

    Don’t know how I missed this one Marlorena, it’s gorgeous!

    User thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Great photos! Got 12 bargain DAs at $5.95 each last week same as Dave, 2 of them are AM. Are the blooms long lasting compare to Heritage?

  • 7 years ago

    Marlorena, they are so beautiful. I am always blown away with your pics :) I have been reading all your threads. Even though I don't say something but you know I am loving every single rose bush and companion plants in your garden. They are all gorgeous .
    jin

    User thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Totoro, I finally am able to upload photos via Houzz iPhone app. Here is my AM in the shade. Second yea in the garden. Very impressive. The last one was taken back when I tried to post in answer of your question

  • 7 years ago

    Famerduck, very imoressive for part shade.