Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
egfurnishings

Musty Smell After Remediation

egfurnishings
4 years ago

Is it normal to smell the musty mold smell after remediation? ServPro is almost done but I just walked in the room and got a huge whiff of mustiness.

Comments (19)

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    4 years ago

They usually run negative air machines or air scrubbers to vent out odors and in most cases after the completion they deodorize the house.

• toxcrusadr
    4 years ago

What are they remediating? Lead paint, asbestos, mold, floodwaters, someone died on the carpet?

egfurnishings thanked toxcrusadr
  • egfurnishings
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hee hee. Someone may have died from the smell!

We're remediating a leaking supply line and they found mold where it was leaking and in a couple other places.

They tented everything and now I think they're done because the took everything down. But it's still really musty.

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

I had mold remediation after a leak in our roof and they opened all the walls, removed and replaced moldy insulation, wood trim, sheet rock, wet wiped all the mold with an anti microbial solution, wire brushed, then wet wiped again, let it dry with the air scrubbers going for several days and then the entire area was encapsulated with anti microbial paint. When they were finished, there was ZERO musty/moldy smell. It was night and day different after the remediation. I’d be concerned if it smells musty.

egfurnishings thanked Nidnay
  • toxcrusadr
    4 years ago

The musty smell is volatile chemicals given off by mold, not necessarily mold itself. It could still be in the air and the place just needs airing out.

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

After a house fire in a house we once owned, and the water damage from putting out that fire, we had remediation. Yes, it did still smell musty, but, they did come in with equipment to take care of that problem. It was left in the house running for several days. It took care of both the musty smell, and the fire smell. I would ask them about that.

egfurnishings thanked cat_ky
  • egfurnishings
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It is soooo much worse now. They’re still working on it and they have dryers/fans running.

They told us we could use the shower but mentioned it would add moisture. We used it for a couple days and now it’s the worst I’ve ever smelled.

So we‘re not using the shower now. They’re supposed to come by today. Honestly I didn’t see them spray for mold. I could be wrong but all I think they’ve done so far is remove a built-in cabinet and drywall and use dryers to dry it out.

The smell is is so bad that I’m sitting outside right now and every few minutes I get a whiff of it. I’m about 40 feet away and there is a wall and a partially-opened sliding door between me and the source.

I’ve got a headache and nausea right now so I’m staying outside for a while.

• toxcrusadr
    4 years ago

Good grief! I'm no mold remediation expert but it seems like they could have wiped down the surfaces with diluted bleach just to kill what was there, while it was still wet. Bleach + drying will knock it down, I would think.

Does your bath/shower not have a ventilation fan to exhaust the moisture outside?

You can get yourself an indoor air filter, HEPA type, which will filter out the airborne spores. If it has a carbon filter too, it may help with the odor. Or, rent an ozone generator for a day. Or get these bozos to do SOMEthing more for you. And ask them what they have done, what they are going to do next, what the process is. Knowing what the plan is will help get a better quality job and reduce your stress.

• egfurnishings
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So it might be getting better. ServPro came out and noticed that they didn't cover the sewer hole. They covered it and the smell dropped about 70%. But I would have thought that the sewer would have had a whole different rank smell, not so musty.

I asked them if they treated any mold and they said no because the amount of mold was not significant enough to warrant calling in the mold team.

If it still smells when they come back, I'm going to demand that they treat the mold.

I had a mega moldy wall in our laundry room/garage that was covered in mold to at least 4 feet high. I removed the drywall and saturated the remaining studs (which also had visible mold) with hydrogen peroxide. I did it about 3-4 times over a few days and now our laundry room smells great. No musty smell at all. Literally, the laundry room is the best smelling place in the house right now.

• getgreenbewell
    4 years ago

I'd be concerned if they said they found mold but not significant to call in the mold team. If they didn't treat it, the mold would continue to grow. So that doesn't make sense.

egfurnishings thanked getgreenbewell
  • Oliviag
    4 years ago

ask them to provide results of a mold test. you shouldn't have to trust your nose.
    they're the pros. they got paid.

egfurnishings thanked Oliviag
  • toxcrusadr
    4 years ago

^^ That's a good idea, the air should meet standards for mold spores.

If you fix whatever is causing water to get inside the wall, mold should not grow even if it's there. Once dried out it goes dormant and/or dies without moisture. I would think at least a wipedown of the studs would be appropriate.

• John Pearson
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Of course, this is not normal. The smell of mold means that it is present somewhere. Perhaps she is somewhere in the walls where she is not visible. You can not hesitate with its removal. ServoPro could easily miss the moldy place. I myself faced a similar problem when I moved to a new apartment. I wanted to remove all the mold myself, but I did not succeed. I decided to find the Mississauga Mold Removal Center and the neighbors recommended me contact the GTA Mold Removal. I did not have much time, so I decided to call them. The guys did all the work quickly and efficiently. Already 8 months have passed, and new traces of mold have not appeared. Turn to them, they will help you.

• Debbie Cerasani Ricigliano Pickering
    3 years ago

We had a mold removal company come in end of June. Very very long story short, they said they removed the mold. We told them we smelled a chemical smell in my clothes my grandsons clothes etc. Ive had severe health issues. They include cancers and pulmonary embolism severe asthma lung issues guillain beret syndrome and so very much more. To this day we still have a smell. We have done everything you could ever imagine. Even painting the house. Large expensive air purifyers washed every inch of ever item in the house. Im so sick. The mold people and remediation people say its not their problem but we never had this before. This is crazy. Any ideas?

• eliyetti
    3 years ago

Hey Debbie, I’m having the exact same issue. Mold was remediated in August but I still have this weird bad odor in my garage and it even sticks to my hair (the odor). Have you had any success?

• Bryan Baker
    3 years ago

Same - I had my crawlspace treated for mold (professional remediation (borate)) and started getting the musty smell in the living space a few days later. The smell gets all over everything. Setting stuff out in the sun helps, and a dehumidifier reduces the smell, but I want to figure out what the source is and fix it.

• Nicole Bandemer
    3 years ago

Debbie have you figured anything out yet? Did the health issues stem from the chemical smell or were those problems before?

• Tuffy Fhang
    6 months ago

We've had the same experience. Mold smells persisted after ServPro came in the first time and smell returned after Ozone treatment removed it for a little while. Not long after, I found mold they missed and now removed. But I think there is even more in a new space I found. I have to push them to treat these suspect black stains in a very hard place to get to.