Software
Houzz Logo Print
lesli_neubauer

opinions needed /Lamaque

I have a very rough sketch here, I hope you can make sense out of it. I wondered if I get my husband to build this 96" tall x 30" wide obelisk, could it handle Lamarque? I have a good sized plant already, she's been in a molasses tub for 2 years. I'll have to make a large chicken wire basket to keep gophers at bay to plant her in - in the ground in front of two gable end windows in front of my house. she'll be flanked by two 5 ft gum drop shaped dwarf yaupon. I love her blooms, and I want it to look attractive , but I know she can get aggressive. what are your opinions? Sorry for the messy rough draft it got messier when I tried to re-draw it.

Comments (18)

  • 7 years ago

    Oh, wow! Ok! I'll have to some more thinking...

    What would be a good rose for this obelisk?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Blush Noisette...?

    Sombreuil Cl. was very vigorous in Las Vegas... could be in TX too...

  • 7 years ago

    I agree that in your zone Lamarque would want to get too big. Mine is growing in a place where it only gets about 1 hour of direct sun a day, and it is still trying to eat two other roses. Here is a pic of the one next door, which is growing in full sun - this pic was taken from another neighbor's back yard, so it only shows the part of the bush which is ABOVE the 6 foot fence. Of course, the garden it is in has also been gardened for over 100 years, and the old roses have sort of left alone, so it may be benefitting from "magical microbes" too!

    Jackie


  • 7 years ago

    wow! yeah, I've seen photos of it eating a house, but I guess I don't want it to eat my house. I just have a hard time believing a rose could 'do that well in my garden. just in case, I'd better rethink this. I do have Sombreuil, I'll have to see. Thanks for the comments!

  • 7 years ago

    Lesli, since you're in Texas, these are some suggestions from the Antique Rose Emporium catalog. They state these grow well in Texas and they are usually commercially available there (though quite a few are out of stock right now). All are suggested based upon the ARE suggested sizes and growth habits as well as my own experience training the ones I've grown as climbing specimen. Hopefully, this will help point you toward the rose you would like! Good luck.


    Abraham Darby; Adam; Allister Stella Gray; Aloha; Altissimo; Baronne Prevost; Belinda; Blush Noisette; Buff Beauty; Champney's Pink Cluster; Clytemnestra: Conrad Ferdinand Meyer; Constance Spry; Coquette Des Blanches; Cornelia; Crimson Glory, climber; Danae; Duke Of Edinburgh; Excellenz Von Schubert; Felicia; Frau Karl Druschki; Graham Thomas; Honorine De Brabant; Cl. Iceberg; Independence Musk ; Jasmina; Jeanne D'arc; Kathleen; Cl La France; La Reine; La Reine Victoria; Lady Waterlow; Louise Odier; Madame Driout; Madame Ernest Calvat; Madame Isaac Pereire; Marchioness Of Londonderry; Mier Y Teran; Miss Lillian; Nur Mahal; Cl. Orange Triumph; Paul Neyron; Cl Pinkie; Pioneer Spirit; Prosperity; Queen of Bourbons; Thornless R. Wichurana; Red Smith's Parish; Rosarium Uetersen; Russelliana; Sally Holmes; Sky Rocket; Smith's Parish; Sombreuil, Climbing; Souvenir de La Malmaison, Cl.; Vanity; Westerland; Will Scarlet; William Lobb; Wind Chimes; Zephirine Drouhin.

  • 7 years ago

    wow! you sure went to a lot of trouble for me! Thank you! I have quite a few of these, but have them planted elsewhere. I may have to move things around, maybe this fall. I'm afraid it's already too hot. Thanks I'll have to study up!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    But be sure to grow Lamarque somewhere, too, if you can find a good space for it. It's a beautiful thing! Do you have a copy of Liz Druitt's The Organic Rose Garden or Mike Shoup's and William Welch's rose books? They're essential (and gorgeous) handbooks for TX gardeners! Carol

  • 7 years ago

    Yes, I have tons of rose books! I have cl.clotilde Soupert, I didnt see it on your list but I'm thinking if she doesn't get too large to move from my veggie garden fence I could move her. I know she can get large too, but a 30 x 96 inch obelisks is not tiny, as it's stakes below the ground not included in it's 96 inches. But still have to get hubby to build it, and he might say, if I'm building one I might as well build two, because I could use another one in front of green house. :)

  • 7 years ago

    Aw, no "trouble", Lesli. It was fun seeing what ARE is listing now. You're welcome! I hope it helps. You can train anything with pliable canes on an obelisk like a climber. Anything that interrupts the sap flow upward will push laterals from the main canes, which will then flower. Like vertical "pegging". You can twist them around the uprights of your frame or twist them around the entire structure. You don't want them heading down hill as sap may have issues flowing down hill and the cane may die back. You can absorb some of the extra size from the 8' to 12' size in wrapping and training on the form, but anything much larger than that is likely to require a lot of pruning, leaving a rather woody mess on the obelisk. Hopefully, these will help you get an impression of the type of plant you can use for obelisks. I had a friend who is now, unfortunately, no longer with us, who even trained bush Hybrid Teas which produced long canes, as "climbers", with excellent results. And, you SHOULD grow Lamarque somewhere.

  • 7 years ago

    Lesli- I grow ‘atmore lamarque’ in San Marcos, TX thanks to Kim’s (Roseseek) enabling and it is a happy rose in S Central TX. One of my favorites for vigor, heat tolerance and fragrance. Highly recommended where you have the space.

  • 7 years ago

    Hi Matthew! Please check your email. I sent you an inquiry about a rose the other day. Please let me know if you received it. Thanks! Kim

  • 7 years ago

    Earlier, I was looking for photos of a special Lamarque I wanted to share. Remember the name "Spreckels"? As in the Sugar Magnate? He had a mansion in Aptos, south of San Francisco which burned nearly a century ago. Lamarque grew in that garden and it STILL GROWS THERE in the trees. There is a medical center with homes where that mansion stood. Jill Perry, the Curator of the San Jose Heritage took Susan (poorbutroserich) and me to see it two years ago. Here is the century old Spreckels Lamarque, growing through the trees! Of course, it hasn't really been pruned in like forever, but this should help show why I wrote it wasn't suitable for an 8' obelisk. As if Jackie's photos didn't already show that! LOL!




  • 7 years ago

    Wow! That must be a sight! Jackie's, too. Carol

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Adding to Carol's comment: and it is fragrant too!!!! Oh, my...

  • 7 years ago

    Not just "fragrant"...to my nose it's a strong lemon zest. Opening the buds to collect pollen is almost like playing in Lemon Pledge.

  • 7 years ago

    It's gorgeous close up too:

    Jackie