Software
Houzz Logo Print
chris209_gw

Hybrid Musks/Multifloras/Polyanthas

These are the types of roses that first got me into growing old roses, as they are commonly found at old homes around here and easily propagated. I still find them some of the healthiest and most charming roses around. I thought we could all share the ones that we grow, and I will get things started with Puple Skyliner. Pictures to follow.

Comments (43)

  • 7 years ago



  • 7 years ago

    WoW! This makes me really anxious that my cutting takes! : )) These are also my favourite classes so I have a lot of them. I'll post a bit later when I have more time. I was going to start two separate posts on HMs and Polys, but I'll just put them all here and maybe start one on shade tolerant HMs since I've found that some are more than others. Thanks for starting this!

  • 7 years ago

    Chris! Ahhhh! So beautiful. I have been looking for purple skyliner everywhere and no one has it! Thanks for the info, I’m looking for some shade tolerant old roses so this is perfect!

  • 7 years ago

    Is Purple Skyliner shade tolerant?

  • 7 years ago

    Now that’s a beautiful rose! Lisa

  • 7 years ago


    Baby Felicia...I'm so in love with this rose I LOVE the way the clusters look!


    Baby Marie Pavie


  • 7 years ago

    Here Is my two-year-old ballerina sharing space with new dawn.

    Here is Belinda getting it on with the weeds! :-)

    Dreamy Felicia

    Gdf




  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Daphne



    Violet Hood


  • 7 years ago

    I don't have many roses from these classes. Among the small handful, Cassie (aka Snowbelt) is my favorite. She is vigorous, floriferous, and maintenance-free. She does get blackspot in NJ (I don't spray), but she sheds her diseased leaves and then quickly produces more, so the bush always look full. I keep her at about 4-5'x4-5', which she seems to be happy with. She has a quite pleasant, albeit mild, fragrance that can be detected by my often dysfunctional nose when bloom is fresh and early in the morning.

    --Lin

  • 7 years ago

    Vaporvac, good luck with your cuttings! It’s a very beautiful and carefree rose. Your GDF is beautiful. Such a delicate beauty and I love those apricot buds.


    Mrs Gartin, I wonder why it’s not available anywhere. I’ll have to think where I got mine. Maybe Rogue Valley roses?


    Ingrid, I’ll have to go look up Aunt Margys Rose. It’s beautiful! Thanks for sharing.


    Lin, Cassie has been on my list for a long time. I love roses like that but I wonder if it’s so similar to Daphne that I don’t really need it. Is it fragrant?


    Does anyone grow Trier Anymore? I havent heard it mentioned in a long time.


    -Chris

  • 7 years ago

    Hi Chris,

    Cassie's fragrance is only mild to my nose, and it does dissipate fairly quickly. I have never grown Daphne so I looked her up on HMF. Based on the description and pictures on HMF, Daphne seems to have a wider spread than height. Cassie has a more rounded presentation. I tried to keep her at 3'x3', but she really wanted to expand past that. So her current size, 4-5'x4-5', likely will be how big I will keep her. When that 4x4 bush is fully covered with gazillions of 1.25" pristine white flowers, it's a sight to behold. If you have the room, she will reward you with her magnificent spring flush followed with frequent rebloom. There is quite a bit similarity in general presentation between Daphne (from pics) and Cassie. Plus HMF says Daphnie is very fragrant. However, does your Daphne typically have that pretty blush coloration seen on your pic? Cassie is of pure white color, pure and pristine, not a white blend. So she does offer some differences for you to consider. :-)

    I love your garden! I have enjoyed looking at all the pictures you posted on the Forum! Such artistic mix of colors and clever use of companion plants! Keep your pictures coming please!

    --Lin

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Lin! Your Cassie is a beauty. I love the golden center on the fresh blooms. Daphne only has that pink blush when first opening. Today was cool and rainy so it lasted longer than usual. It usually turns pretty quickly to white.

  • 7 years ago

    These are all such dreamy roses, with a very natural, almost wild look that I absolutely love. This is a wonderful thread.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Here is Cornelia co-mingling with Viking Queen.


    And on her own.


    Prosperity looking especially lovely.


    First Blooms of Marjorie Fair


    The lovely Lindee


    snuggling up to Eglantyne.


    My favorite, the Tooth Fairy. Shown here with Darcy Bussell.


  • 7 years ago

    Is it remotely possible to grow any HMs in zone5/6? I had Prosperity once and it never looked like the one here or in the catalog. I think I actually was growing a very healthy floriferous multiflora but it did repeat for a couple years.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Chris,

    Oh my goodness! Love Purple Skyliner!!!!! Any idea on how one might obtain this rose? I am always on the hunt for roses of that color. Your picture is stunning. Any comment on fragrance/health as well? I love your Daphne as well. Such a delicate beauty.

    Pippa,

    Oh gosh. Now I am in even more trouble. People need to stop posting roses. It just makes my want list that much bigger. Who am I kidding; I love adding more roses :). The shots of Felicia and Marie Pavie are exquisite. Something just speaks to my soul when it comes to delicate roses that bloom in clusters.

    Linc,

    Wow, just wow on your Cassie.

    Vapor,

    I am loving the looks of your Marjorie Fair. Excited to watch her grow up and see future pictures of her. Your next shot where you include the lavender/pink/white combo is one of my favorite color combinations.

  • 7 years ago

    Chris,


    it it looks like just UK nurseries have PS, none of them shipping to the US. I do have the likelihood of obtaining some cuttings from another user on the forum, so thankful for the generosity, but not sure the timeframe on that. Still would like to get my hands a bigger band. I will keep searching. Rogue valley, heirloom, almost Eden, antique rose emporium and others have said “sorry, no luck”. Patience is a virtue right?


    Vaporvac, your roses are absolutely luscious. those pinks are really giving me some rose envy. How does Viking queen grow for you? I have her on my list for possibilities. Is she a rebloomer? How big does she get? Would she do well with a stand alone arbor?

  • 7 years ago

    I love my purple, thornless, sweetly scented Excellenz von Schubert purchased from Burlington as a tiny band last fall. Many places sell the pink, thorny Gartendirektor Otto Linne as EvO, but Burling has the real deal. So anyone looking for a purple Hybrid Musk should get one from her. It has amazing vigor; the most of any rose I planted last fall. Here he is today after his flush and sending out vigorous new canes. On his remaining flower clusters I was able to capture the color pretty accurately.

  • 7 years ago

    I will bet Purple Skyliner will root easily and grow vigorously, so cuttings would be a good option. I would have purchased mine either from Rogue Valley Roses,Rose's, Chamblees or Roses Unlimited, but none carry it now. We need to get cuttings to a nursery so itsit's available again in the US.

    Mine never shows signs of disease and the sawfly larvae leave it alone also, which is great. No fragrance though.

    Veilchenblau is another similar beauty.


  • 7 years ago

    Darlow's Enigma

    Lyda

    NOID with adorable dime sized flowers. I think its modern.

    More Violet Hood. Love the crinkly foliage.

    Lyda makes make hips if not deadheaded. I've grown many seedlings from it and this is one I've kept for now.

    -Chris

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    LOVE Violet Hood and Lyda! Rosie, that colour combo is pure happenstance as I planted the iris without knowing what colour it was! I was beyond thrilled with the sweet combo. Mrs. Garten, Viking Queen is one of my favourite roses, but she is thorny. So far she doesn't get as tall as I'd like, not due to die-back, but rose girdler who always seem to attack the longest cane. I've seen her in northern Ohio scaling a large arbor. it was magnificent!. She's especially beautiful with a fragrance to match. Ikaye, it's trial and error over here. My Prosperity is still in a pot, so who know how she'll do. Sally Holmes and Penelope died, but it could be for other reasons, but she had a lot of dead canes in spring. However, in a local park she scales a huge arbor! I think mine is at the bottom of a hill and that makes it colder. I have another in a pot and have yet to decide where to plant her. Somewhere up high! Robin Hood, Ghislaine de Feligonde, Belinda, Felica, Ballerina and Bubble Bath are tip hardy for me. Zone 5 might be iffy if you want them to climb. Cl. Pinkie was a failure even here. If I remember, I'll see which one's Peter Schneider recommends for Z5. I recall him mentioning one similar to Ballerina, but hardier.

  • 7 years ago

    You all have such beautiful roses! I'm lapping this up because I have almost nothing blooming, and yesterday it was 104 degrees. These lovely roses in their cool white and purple colors are so refreshing to see.

  • 7 years ago

    Ikaye, yes, you can grow these roses in your zone. In fact, I thought they were particularly suited to colder climates. I grow Ballerina, Marjorie Fair, Darlow's Enigma and Ghislaine de Feligonde successfully. (there's more, but I'm drawing a blank). No pics because they're not blooming yet. Covered in buds, so, soon. I don't winter protect or do anything special for them. Some cane loss in winter, but not bad. Darlow's E is the hardiest of the ones I grow.

  • 7 years ago

    Vapor,

    Sometimes the best parts of a garden are the accidents or surprises we see once things bloom. One of my favorite combos this spring was such a spot. And it included an iris and rose combo!

  • 7 years ago

    Purple Skyliner all opened up.


  • 7 years ago

    That is magnificent Chris! I'm in awe!

  • 7 years ago

    Chris, that’s an amazing display of a gorgeous colored-rose! Wow! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Felicia:


    Purple Skyliner

    Penelope

    Cornelia

    Marjorie Fair...the white eyes make this rose seem to add texture

    Prosperity

    Lavender Lassie and Alchymist

    Lavender Lassie


    Buff Beauty



  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    my favorite post! I remember it's you that has The Alchemist with lavender Lassie. It is my favorite combo.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Chris re: Purple Skyliner and Erasmus re: Felicia and Lavender Lassie, do you prune these roses regularly, or is it hit or miss? What is your pruning methods on these huge roses?

    My biggest is Darlow's Enigma, although not near the size of your giants, and he gets pruned some years and some years he doesn't. I don't see any difference in his bloom power or vigor either way.

  • 7 years ago

    Love your Lavender Lassie and Alchymist combination. That is one of the prettiest combination I've seen. Beautiful.

  • 7 years ago

    Chris, your Purple Skyliner is incredible. It has such an outstanding, eye-catching color.

    erasmus, I'm carried away by the outstanding loveliness of your roses and your garden. It's something I can only dream of having, but how wonderful to know that it does exist and to see it here. Lavender Lassie and Alchymist together are pure poetry, and I don't know when I've seen a more perfect pairing of two roses. I've just realized that I have Evelyn and Plum Perfect planted next to each other, and if those two with somewhat similar colors to yours look even one tenth as good as your two I'll be content.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you about my Lavender Lassie. I can only prune the lower levels of LL. It is pretty high up in an apple tree now. I prune Felicia every spring and a little during the summer. I have a big Knockout growing right next to it which has crowded out Felicia somewhat.

    I live across the street from what used to be a Pepsi plant. I felt ok about that for a long time. The truck drivers seemed friendly. They were good neighbors. It is a big industrial looking place with big parking lot. So I have big roses in my front yard right next to the street. They make a kind of screen and give me a sense of enclosure. Most of our neighborhood is residential and I have really been happy in this neighborhood for about 32 years. There is no home owner's association telling me what I can do in my front yard.

    Purple Skyliner is not huge here yet. I have two in the ground and think I'll have to dig one up because I can't give it that much space. I planted one in a dry spot , thinking it would not get big, but hoping that its vigor would make it likely to survive there. It is thriving there and right now adds some grace to that part of the garden. It arches over nicely, is kind of a fountain shape. Some call it a reblooming Veilchenblau, but I think it is more bs resistant than Veilchenblau. I hope it won't get as big...I do not want any more huge roses. See Marina's pic of it on hmf...it's pretty huge.


  • 7 years ago

    Erasmus, thank you for sharing. You yard has that wonderful secret garden vibe that I love. I wish my Buff Beauty would have grown. The plant I had seemed to have no vigor and I was pretty patient with it. No black spot in my garden either, and those beautiful blooms, but it just sat there. Maybe if I can get it grafted one day I'd try again.


    My Purple Skyliner might seem bigger in the photo than in person. It's about 7' tall by 7' wide, flat against the arbor. I really haven't needed to do any major pruning on it. I did the usual spring tidying up and will do some light pruning after it's done blooming. It doesn't seem to want to get much bigger than it's current size, but we will see... I think if I did no pruning it would still do just fine.


    -Chris

  • 7 years ago

    Erasmus, that Lassie and alchymist together is divine! I still have my alchymist in a pot and have been scratching my head on where to put it. I have awakening and veilchenblau (couldn’t get a purple skyliner) growing against the side of the garage. I was thinking about putting it there since its a pretty big bed, but I wanted something that repeats, so maybe put the Abraham darby there instead? What do you think? I’m going to attempt to grow some clematis and other things for color interest when the roses aren’t blooming, would love anyone’s input.

  • 7 years ago

    Chris, your NOID rose with the dime-sized flowers looks just like my Mountain Mignonette, a found Polyantha. This is a lovely thread with beautiful photos, thanks.

  • 7 years ago

    Mrs Gartin, have you seen the post on Star of the Republic? It's a gorgeous apricot that won't overpower your space but will I think be tall enough. Another one is Sweet Frances, which I have, and it's definitely a gangly rose; after a few months one of the canes is already over 5 feet, and it also has lovely flowers (see below),

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Ingrid, I will look into those! That sweet frances is beautiful!


    Modestgoddess, I actually emailed long ago roses and she said she was hopefully going to be able to take more cuttings of PS this year. So, I will most likely eventually get my hands on one, just not anytime soon.

  • 7 years ago

    Coming in late with this ... don't forget 'Bishop Darlington'. Not a Pemberton Musk, but a beauty from Capt. Thomas.

  • 7 years ago

    What a delicate beauty, Jeri!

  • 7 years ago

    So scrumptious, Jeri! Thank you for reminding us of this beauty! :-)