Software
Houzz Logo Print
daisyincrete

Good-bye Marechal Niel

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

After 11 years I have to say good-bye to Marechal Niel. He has canker.

Here he is from his first bloom soon after planting...









...and last year.

It will give me a chance to try something else. I will have to have a think about it.

No doubt I will be back soon asking for information.

Daisy

Comments (16)

  • 7 years ago

    Your Marechal Niel was really the best I've seen. Very heartbreaking that you have to start over. I can't wait to see what you decide to replace it with. Do you think you will stick with yellow for that area, or try another color?

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    So sorry to hear about your MN. Yours is the archetype in my mind.

    Is canker something a rose cannot survive?

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked totoro z7b Md
  • 7 years ago

    I have to Google up on canker. I understand, why ? Sorry about your MN. Yeah, I wonder what are you replacing with ? Daisy, where is the canker at ?
    Maybe you can take cuttings and try to root it and plant it elsewhere. I am really bad in cuttings.

    jin

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Daisy, i'm no expert, but that does not look like a sick rose to me! Where, indeed, is the canker? Can't you just prune it out?

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Your garden photos are just heavenly. That's unfortunate about the canker. Is that Lady Emma Hamilton in the third photo...?

    I prune out canker and the rose carries on, however, my zone/climate is very different from yours...

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Krista_5NY
  • 7 years ago

    This is why our photos are so valuable—-your MN really jump-started my passion for these old tea-noisettes. Thank you so much for sharing him with us!! :-)

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    That's such a shame. I've never seen one so lovely.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked jerijen
  • 7 years ago

    Oh no! Daisy, this is heartbreaking. Your Marechal Niel has become an international rose celebrity. We all feel your loss. :(

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked K S 7a Yakima
  • 7 years ago

    I've loved and admired your Marechal Niel for so long, Daisy, and mourn his loss. The upside is that you'll have a chance to try something new and wondrous in his place.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    So sorry to hear this Daisy. I have never seen a more gorgeous rose. I'm afraid I'd have to get another two plants of the same. Best wishes with what you decide.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    I also thought Daisy's Monsieur Tillier was another international star. I can't believe they have had to go.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Unbelievably beautiful garden! Really sorry for you loss

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    It started as a raised frill of bark around the bottom of the canes and at the fork of the original canes. That has been there for over a year. This year the first flush of flowers started okay, but then I started to find die back all through the rose. As fast as I cut out the die back, more appeared. All the time I was cutting out the dead wood, more appeared. The blooms looked awful. I decided that I had enjoyed it for over 11 years and it didn't owe me anything.

    I have dug out a deep and wide hole where the roots used to be and lined it with cardboard, after putting a few inches of manure in the bottom. I will fill this with soil from elsewhere in the garden and replant in the autumn.

    I have a few ideas about what to replace it with, but that is a subject for another thread.

    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    Sorry Krista. Yes, that is LH. Daisy


0