dcarch7

Happy Father's Day-----Still more scapes

Happy Father's Day to all! wherever your father is.

The last of garlic scapes from the garden. Make SV rib 1 1/2" thick rib eye steak.

dcarch

• morz8

That really looks wonderful. I so wish I could make pretty food ;0) I saw spring garlic scapes at Whole Foods last week, the first time I've noticed them offered at a store. They would have been an experiment for me, I've never eaten or cooked them and they weren't going to fit into a busy week so I passed, reluctantly.

• happy2b…gw

very prettty. If you are not a professional, you should be.

• nicole___

Did I miss it...? What are the little squares? Sooooooooooo pretty!

• foodonastump

Pickled watermelon rind? That’s my guess. Dcarch likes pickled watermelon rind. :)

• petalique

Very nice.

I have about a dozen dried, sprouted garlic cloves. If I stick these in garden soil, will I get garlic scapes or garlicky green chives?

Q for anyone. How does one best store garlic heads? I would think a darkened cupboard, perhaps in a porous jar or bag. But my garlic keeps getting dried and spouting. I don’t care for it with green core.

dcarch — do you pick your scapes just prior to using them? Does harvesting the scapes impact the garlic (that I assume you will want to harvest later)?

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Thank you everyone!

Yes, those are pickled watermelon squares, as FOAS indicated.

It's always fun to try different foods and different combinations. I enjoy the pairing of garlicky scapes and sweet and sour pickled watermelon.

petalique, garlic scapes can be picked before cooking. They can be kept for a long time without wilting. People cut the scapes off so that the bulbs can grow bigger.

One way I use garlic for cooking is to peel all the cloves and pickle them in salt. They will be good in the refrigerator forever and whenever you want to use them.

dcarch

• petalique

Thanks, dcarch.

I want to reduce my sodium intake, so won’t be able to use your preservation method that otherwise sounds excellent.

I bet those combination of watermelon rind with the garlic scapes is very good.