Software
Houzz Logo Print
pirateroo

Backpainted glass backsplash

13 years ago
I've been planning all along on using a backpainted glass backsplash in my kitchen remodel, I love the look, the ease of cleaning-No Grout Lines! I am planning on doing it myself, I have the urethane based paint in a metallic green, (think automotive type metallic, not glitter fingernail polish) but I am getting cold feet. The granite goes in this week and then it will be time to template and paint the backsplash- I worry that it will be too dark, I have a test piece of glass, but it's hard to tell from a 12" square what it will really look like. Any suggestions?

Comments (56)

  • 13 years ago
    I keep adding pics and comments, and then they disappear?!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I've watched the videos online of how to do it ... I would LOVE to do it myself -- the Dreamwalls quote I got was in the neighborhood of a $100 per square foot and I have quite a large space I would like to do.

    Have you done any research into using low iron "starphire" glass (more "clear" less "green")?
    Side3 thanked Brenda
  • 13 years ago
    Sometimes they seem to disappear for just a short while, but they're there. Check later on if they are. Otherwise it plain weird and you need to repost.. You did comment in this post, did you?
    Side3 thanked rinked
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I did find this https://www.houzz.com/discussions/okay-i-apparently-was-posting-my-respon-dsvw-vd~576221 so now I know what type of green paint youwere referring to. Looks like a nice green in the picture. Still I don't see the granite color anywhere though..
    Side3 thanked rinked
  • 13 years ago
    pirateroo: try again. It's usually quite easy to attach images & comments, & click submit...
    Side3 thanked TanCalGal
  • 13 years ago
    Pedini those glass tops are gorgeous. Is that a Dreamwalls product?
    Side3 thanked Brenda
  • 13 years ago
    pirateroo -- is this the paint product that you are using? http://www.glasspaint.com/
    Side3 thanked Brenda
  • 13 years ago
    Here's a comment that pirateroo made on another thread about the painted glass back splash.

    "pirateroo
    Hi, I am remodeling my kitchen and am going with the backpainted glass on my range wall. It does not have to be overly expensive if you are a little bit handy. Get starfire (low-iron glass) from your local glass shop. You can have them template it and it installs like a mirror. I ordered Glassprimer, they have a website same name, you wipe it on the back of the glass so the paint will adhere properly. It costs $175. You will then need urethane based paint- get it from Sherwin-Williams or other car paint shop. They can color match any shade. Paint and hardener and reducer approx. $125. ( that included a small sprayer and measuring cup) after you get your glass and use the primer, you spray the back until you have good coverage, usually several thin coats. At that point you can install the glass yourself with an acid free adhesive or have the glass shop install it. My total cost for a 42x40" backsplash, approx. $500. That included 3 cut outs in the glass and 2 smaller side pieces. Way better than the $1500 + I saw that someone else paid for a similar sized splash. Much easier to keep clean- No Grout Lines! Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.....
    2 months ago · Like · 6"
    Side3 thanked TanCalGal
  • 13 years ago
    Hello Brenda, yes,it is Glasspaint.com and yes, you need to use the low-iron glass/Starfire to get the truest color. When I try to add a different pic , my original 3pics above are posted again, how do you add different pics? Thanks
  • 13 years ago
    For some reason, I am unable to add any different pics, only comments- very frustrating!
  • 13 years ago
    When I click "attach images", it takes me to my desktop and I select the photo from there. The photos have to be jpeg, I think.
    Side3 thanked TanCalGal
  • 13 years ago
    I sent a note to houzz customer support with a link to this post. Did not find anything helpful to your problem on FAQ site.
    Side3 thanked TanCalGal
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, these 3 pics post and then disappear?!
  • 13 years ago
    Weird, I just posted the 3 pics again and they showed up in the middle of this string, I took 4new pics, but the first 3pics and comments I made before posted instead!
  • 13 years ago
    Hello there!

    The photos in the original first posting once posted can not be changed or added to.

    However, feel free to add photos to comments (such as the one I am writing right now).

    Simply copy and paste the Houzz link!

    Here's an example: https://www.houzz.com/photos/19th-st-contemporary-bathroom-dc-metro-phvw-vp~4853773
    Side3 thanked Peter P.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hello- Take a look at my kitchen pic...I too wanted laminated glass back splash but without the $6000 price. Im a designer and came up with my idea: sandblasted glass panels held off the wall slightly by a U-channel top and bottom. Joints are all silicone and I painted the wall an orange color that diffuses beautifully to the color of the cabinetry itself. Its a great effect and I had my glass shop do the whole thing. The U-Channels are brushed aluminum used for glass shower enclosures-believe it or not. My ceilings are 10 1/2' tall and I believe the total cost installed was around $1500. Ps: House and kitchen have won multiple design awards for inventive, smart, small house.
    Side3 thanked John Mills Davies ASID
  • 13 years ago
    John M Davies: I checked your photos but I do not see the laminated glass back splash.
  • 13 years ago
    pirateroo: that message from Peter P was for you, did his information help?
    Side3 thanked TanCalGal
  • 13 years ago
    I don't see the backsplash either- where can we see it? Thanks
  • 13 years ago
    Hi John, I looked for the pics, but could not find them? I would love to see the effect, please post.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Peter, I have tried to add new pics with a new comment, but instead of the new comment I write and the new pics I take, as soon as I hit submit, it posts my original 3 pictures and comments, and then they disappear!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi TanCalGal, this sounds very interesting if we could only see the pics.....
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    i saw them, sort of a rust color. looks good
    Side3 thanked K.O.H. Construction Corporation
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Click on the picture with the two people-one seated and one standing. The backsplash is in that pic on the left. To be clear, the glass is not painted- it is sandblasted (or "acid-etched" glass. The wall behind the glass is painted. The glass sits just forward of the wall, otherwise if the glass touches the wall a. you see all inperfections in the wall and b. the sandblasted effect is diminished considerably.
    I came up with this idea when faced with the expensive (yet desirable) alternative of using 'laminated glass' where the color IS part of the glass itself. Its Modernism on a budget!
    Side3 thanked John Mills Davies ASID
  • 13 years ago
    Ok I saw the backsplash, from the angle the pic was taken it looks very much like backpainted glass, certainly worth considering, Thanks
  • 13 years ago
    Very nice, JM Davies!
  • 13 years ago
    just went to the tile stores this weekend to see if there was something that I liked better than the solid back painted glass option ... no luck ...
    Side3 thanked Brenda
  • 13 years ago
    Me either, I've decided to just go for it and do the metallic green paint I originally planned to use, some of my granite is in and it's gorgeous! I can't wait to get it all finished!
  • 13 years ago
    Hello all, update on backsplash- I paid $175 for the Glassprimer, $125 for the paint, $450 for the starfire glass (39x46) that had 1 hole, 1 notch for the hood attachment, tempering, and polishing the edges all the way around. That also included 2 tubes of neutral cure glass sealant. I painted it yesterday, I swear I put on at least 25 coats with the fine mist sprayer I got with the paint supplies, every 10-15 min. Took all day! Now the paint is curing and we will install it Saturday afternoon. So, total cost $750. I will post pics tomorrow after we get it up. Pre-painted the wall green so it wouldn't be white, so no show-through.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you for the update. I hope you send more photos. The green seems the perfect green for the granite!
    Side3 thanked TanCalGal
  • 13 years ago
    Hi TanCalGal, I was looking for you to send you a comment! I will post again tomorrow with more pics of the almost finished kitchen, it looks better than I had hoped, we are so pleased!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi TanCalGal, I tried to post some new pics but the same 4 pics I posted on another discussion show up attached with another posters pics and comments!
    I'm stumped! I will try again to post just the pic of the backsplash after I post this comment. By the way, the backsplash looks fabulous! It took about 25 thin coats of paint and has a subtle shimmer that looks fabulous! We installed it ourselves and saved $350. Total cost for paint, glass and fabrication of the glass about $750.
  • 13 years ago
    So I can post comments, but if I try to add pics I get the same 4 I posted earlier and they are somehow linked to Maryr410?!!!!!
  • 13 years ago
    Please post pictures... I love back painted glass! I think it helps reflecting light. I thought about doing it but didn't have the guts...
    Side3 thanked yonube
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    These colors would go great with your kitchen!
    Side3 thanked Cabinets To Go
  • Side3 thanked TanCalGal
  • 13 years ago
    Hello Yonube, I will try to post a pic of the backsplash, I have been having trouble posting pics!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Pirateroo, That's a weird problem you are encountering with trying to post photos. Maybe browser related. Can you try opening up a different browser and see if you are having the same issue?
    Side3 thanked Emily Hurley
  • 13 years ago
    I'll try, thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Ok, here is the glass backsplash, I used metallic green automotive paint so it has a subtle shimmer. It turned out better than I expected. The next thing to go up is the trim kit around the vent hood. And then the door pulls!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks pirateroo! Happy you were able to post this photo....very, very nice.
    Side3 thanked TanCalGal
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, here's a closer pic, the potfiller trim ring is held in place while the sealant cures.
  • 13 years ago
    Hello Emily, I posted this picture using my phone and, what the heck! It worked! Thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    Meant to say I like the accent color in the granite; it enhances the green. It' sort of a golden-rust and looks good with the wood cabinets and floor, too.
    Side3 thanked TanCalGal
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, TanCalGal, I tried to pull the green out of the granite, I was going to go with the rust color for the backsplash but realized it would blend into the cabinet color too much! Overall very pleased with the whole remodel! Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions, I love Houzz!
  • 13 years ago
    Your kitchen is lovely. I've often admired counters similar to yours, but never liked it once the backsplash was added. Yours is fabulous and the best way to enhance the rich granite, rather than compete with it. Congratulations.
    Side3 thanked Laura Ricci
  • 13 years ago
    Nice job! Looks great!
    Side3 thanked Ann
  • 13 years ago
    I agree, a lot of the mosaics that are used look too busy and do seem to compete with the granite if the granite has any kind of movement in it. Thank-you for the compliment!
  • 12 years ago
    That looks great. I'm tempted to try this myself since our 1st quote came in for $4500!
    Yikes wasn't expecting that at the last phase of kitchen redo.
    Nancy R
    Side3 thanked nancy russel