Software
Houzz Logo Print
kelsey_ortmann81

Which floor tile for a shower?

7 years ago

Wall tile is going to be similar to the pic, but 12x24 in size-same color, veining, finish, etc. The penny and octagon are on debate..which one would you use for the floor with the wall color being the polished marble?

Comments (37)

  • 7 years ago

    octagon

  • 7 years ago

    I love the penny tile. The darker color is more grounding for a shower floor and pulls the gray from the veining in the marble. It may be just the pic but the octogon tile looks more blue gray.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Neither. Honed marble to match the wall in small version

  • 7 years ago

    Another picture

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    These mosaic marble sheets would work with your wall tile

  • 7 years ago

    Stick with mosaic marble as it’s beautiful!!

  • 7 years ago

    Dark ones

  • 7 years ago

    We used that penny in our old house and it was beautiful. Make sure you have a good installer, those sheets are tricky and you don’t want to see the seams...

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Octagon was not one of the options illustrated. There is a hexagon, however, which is much different from what an octagon layout would look like. I have octagon tiles in my kitchen, and they have little squares to fill in the extra spaces.

    I want to do pebble tiles in my new showers, but I am having some reservations, concerning the grout.

    Of the options shown by the OP, I like the penny tile the best.

  • 7 years ago

    I’d do the hex, I like the lighter more uniform color.

  • 7 years ago

    Like the hex shape and it is less likely to show seams, but am concerned that the undertones in floor and wall tiles don’t match (cool/blue in marble and tan in hex)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I'm confused Post the WALL tile all alone. What is the BATH floor? What are the counter tops and vanity.

  • 7 years ago

    No to any shower floor with those tiny tiles and the zillion grout lines to keep clean. I've been there and done that...never again. Choose something larger like a 2" X 2". I assume you already have a conventional drain in, or I would suggest a linear drain which would allow you to use really large tiles and have minimal grout lines.

  • 7 years ago

    The shower floor should be small tile up to 2” maximum in order to give yourself a safe non-slip surface with sanded grout for good traction. I prefer matte finish floor tile.

  • 7 years ago

    The darker tile will show hard water stains.

  • 7 years ago

    The grey looks better to me, but post the photos Jan requested. It should all work together.

  • 7 years ago

    felizlady-

    I have 2" X 2" tiles in one of my showers because they have a very slippery surface and I need the grout lines for traction. But I have another shower with 12" X 12" tiles that are semi-matte and have a high traction surface. Size choices depend on the individual slipperiness characteristics of the tile, and style of drain.

  • 7 years ago

    Wall tile... vanity will be painted-I’m still deciding on what color for the vanity. The vanity top is staying. Paint on the walls will be changed too. So I’m basically asking what floor tile to do-either the octagon or the penny?

  • 7 years ago

    Is that floor tile staying?

  • 7 years ago

    Yes

  • 7 years ago

    out of the 3 I like the hex penny tile.

  • 7 years ago

    Oh is that the vanity top too? If so you already have two competing patterns. I would do a solid shower tile and pick up the colors from the floor that's staying for the shower floor. Don't introduce more patterns and colors.

  • 7 years ago

    To many different patterns ,choose something else for the walls it’s enough for a full time headache . Go plain white for the walls or any plain tile no pattern.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Get a 6 x 12 white subway for shower walls, and then stop. : ) More is NOT more. Find a soft gray porcelain 2" mosaic for the shower floor. More is not more and don't attempt too many stars in your "show". The result can be dizzying .

  • 7 years ago

    Jan-

    Totally agree. In fact, there's the old saying in architecture: Less is more.

  • 7 years ago

    The number of items with veining is over the top at this point. Stick with plain tiles if you’re keeping the countertop. A grey paint on the vanity, to pick up the soft veining in the top, could be nice.
    It’s hard to suggest things when we can’t see the whole room. I know bathrooms are difficult to photograph.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for all the help. If so a white 9x12 subway tile for the walls what color grout would you do?

  • 7 years ago

    following


  • 7 years ago

    White, otherwise the tile becomes another pattern!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    White

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I hope you realize you've gotten the best COSMETIC lipstick type advice here, given your bath floor is remaining. The given the givens type advice. I understand resources ......and the "refresh" concept.

    But time for a gut check. You still have not shown a really good shot of that bathroom floor. If you are after a pale gray bath and marble feeling?

    Then..................don't let the floor of the bathroom stand in the way. Get the sledge hammer. Or wait until you can.

    Don't invest time and money and effort in a "gee, it could have been really great" effort, when a little more of all three of those might make the bath you REALLY want.

    Don't lipstick a pig. : ) hoping for a Kentucky Derby winner lol

  • 7 years ago

    Close up of the floor tile. Thanks Jan for the advice. I don’t want to get rid of the floor tile. I don’t mind it!

  • 7 years ago

    If you're keeping the floor, I would choose cream colored subway tile (with matching grout) and use the gray (multi-toned) penny tile for the shower floor. The tiles you choose for the shower need to relate to the floor.

  • 7 years ago

    this is what we used. Hex marble floor, dark grey grout


    typeandrun's ideas · More Info


  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Whoa. "You don't mind it"/ Then WORK with it! You are in very different palettes. You want to keep the vanity top.....it bears no relationship to the flooring at all. Honestly, you need to back up, and figure out the bath you want in the end. Maybe a plain white on the vanity, a plain honed black granite top , a white subway on the shower walls, and a very simple charcoal 2 x 2 mosaic in porcelain for the shower floor.

    You began this re do all over the place, and that is where you may end up without a review of exactly where you want to ARRIVE in a finish. None of the elements in a bath, ( in any room, for that matter) lives in isolation. The goal is harmony. An intent. What's the intent here, as it isn't just about replacing surfaces