sheilajoyce_gw

Knitted Knockers

sheilajoyce_gw

I have recently discovered a worthy organization that coordinates volunteer knitters and crocheters working to make "knockers" for women who have had mastectomies. The knockers are provided free to women and are sized to meet their needs. I am working through KnittedKnockers.org, which is a registered non-profit organization. Using their list of approved yarns, which I purchase in flesh colors, I knit up and mail off the knockers. They stuff them, size them, and ship them off to women who need them at no cost. They are lighter, cooler, and softer against the injured skin than commercially available prosthetics.

I like to knit a little every day, especially when I am watching TV, so this is perfect for me. I am sharing information about this organization in case the kitchen table has other knitters and crocheters who would like to join this effort.

• DawnInCal

I'm not a knitter, but that is a lovely thing you are doing, sheilajoyce.

• wantoretire_did

See the discussion about these by kool beans in May.

• ccrunneroklahoma

I’ve been to the website to read the background story and downloaded the list of approved yarns. Ravelry has quite a bit of info also. I’m a beginner knitter and am wondering how easy these are to knit. Easy enough for a beginner?

• sheilajoyce_gw

They are simple to knit, but you do have to use double pointed needles, which is the most awkward part. I don't use stitch markers until I get to round 4 to keep it simple. I knit with just 2 needles till round 4, when I begin kntting the stitches on 3 needles and knit them off with a 4th needle. At that point, I use a stitch marker to mark the first needle and continue knitting on the dpns. If you need a reminder to make an increase at the end of each dpn, then use a stitch marker before the last stitch on each needle to help. Leave a 6 inch tail when you cast on because there will be a gap in the first few rounds where you did not knit in the round but used just 2 needles for back and forth knitting. The tail will provide a means to sew that gap shut as you weave it in when you finish.

If you have never used dpns, you might want to practice first with a bit of left over yarn. A few years ago KK developed a two needle pattern, but they determined it was not a satisfactory outcome. I have made my own dpns using dowel from the hardware store of the right diameter, clipped them to the size I wanted with pruning shears, and sharpened them in a pencil sharpener. Then I used fine sand paper to smooth them and dull the point. I have rubbed them with waxed paper, hand cream, or whatever. One woman told of her grandmother advising to just run the needles through your hair to finish them off nicely, and she was right.

• ccrunneroklahoma

Thank you so much for the tips on using stitch markers! I’m knitting lots of charity caps so I’m using circular needles and dpns on the crown of the caps. I’ll definitely keep your advice so I can use it when I begin. This is such a great project that I’d like to contribute to it.

• carolkelley

@sheilajoyce_gw, can you do this with Magic Loop? Or two circulars? DPNs scare me, but shouldn't. If my 90+ y.o.aunt can knit mittens for homeless women, I should be able to get the hang of DPNs.

• sheilajoyce_gw

Yes, you can do magic loop. I think their pattern site discusses that method. I avoid using magic loop as I don't enjoy knitting with dangling things attached, so I am not informed enough to discuss it.

• sheilajoyce_gw

Wantoretire, thanks for the reminder. I couldn't remember where I first ran into Knitted Knockers. Kool Beans told us on Houzz Kitchen Table, and I followed up and got involved. They have been doing this for years, but it was news to me. And it's news worth repeating so others can hear about them too.

• nicole___

Bags to beds They take plastic bags, make yarn out of them...and then crochet the yarn into ground pads. Looks like another crafty cause.