Software
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Need assistance ASAP!

7 years ago

I have a Cramoisi Superior which has been in my garden for over 50 years. It has hardly any dieback ever, just sometimes some twigs. I walked past it just now and almost fell over - 1/3rd of the bush was completely dead. It was not like that a week ago.


Anyway, I was afraid it was downey mildew. I started cutting back the dead parts (very fun on a china rose with the canes and laterals going every which way, and of course I was panicked, so I was still in my street clothes). It turned out all of the dead parts (made a pile 3 feet high) were coming off one largish cane near the bottom of the bush. My DH had to help me cut the largest cane, right before the lowest actually green lateral, and it fell apart, and below is a pic of the two pieces (the cane was about 1.25 inches in diameter at this point). So, is it some sort of bug which ate out the middle of the cane? There is black sort of grainy stuff in the hole. I hope that is it, rather than downey mildew, but I need to know what to do about it.


Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have.


Jackie




Comments (6)