Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_991998929

steam oven for my second (wall) oven ?

7 years ago

Complete renovation of the kitchen- new KA range, drawer microwave in the island with broil, convection & steam.
For my wall oven, do I want a steam oven? I’ve never used them. Concerned about the cons I’ve read- must wipe the water out after each use, must de-scale periodically & clean the water lines periodically. Doesn’t brown, though I have read that the convection model will brown some. Please share your thoughts!

Comments (5)

  • 7 years ago

    “ drawer microwave in the island with broil, convection & steam.”

    What model is this?


    Not that many people want a dedicated steam oven. I think you would want the one with convection and a broiler. This is called a combi oven or CSO. This would allow it to do many things that a convection oven would do but would allow the control of humidity. It can have the capability of steam. The downside is the size for some or the expense. You have to look at the features carefully to get the ones you want. Some are plumbed vs adding water from the sink.

  • 7 years ago

    The microwave is KitchenAid KMBP100ESS. And I mis-typed, it is not a drawer, but it is under-counter. I never knew these features were all available in a microwave- “sensor steam “, broil, convection, and “crisp wave” cooking. Found it at Lowes.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you wekick, for the information. From your explanation, I realize it’s the CSO I would want. I’m wondering of those who have one, if they like it, and if it’s a lot of trouble to wipe out, clean water lines, etc.

  • 7 years ago

    I think that KA saying the MW has a steam feature is a bit of a stretch. It has steam in the same way any MW does. An oven or rangetop as a source of heat could steam in this way. You are adding a vessel with water in the bottom to steam. Really any covered pan or dish when you add heat has the potential to steam. You might compare this to other “speed” ovens.

    You can accomplish by hand with a convection oven just about everything a combi oven does as far as adding steam but if you get a good one, everything is automated and the oven is built to handle steam. I would look online and read the use and care manuals for Gaggenau, Miele and Thermador to get an idea what they do. Also Wolf.

    Cleaning ease is so subjective depending on how you perceive the value of what the appliance does.


  • 7 years ago

    I checked the manufacturer’s description:
    “ sensor steam cycle w steamer container- a sensored microwave oven cycle that allows precise steaming based on the food type & doneness level selected. “ it appears this is over-hyped. Sounds like how I already steam my veggies in the microwave- in a covered bowl w some water!