Software
Houzz Logo Print
joealvord

Hello, volunteers!

I have had some surprises this year. Welcome Miss Willmott's Ghost (Eryngium giganteum)! I always read about it in my English gardening books, but was not successful growing it. I thought the invader was some sort of ligularia or something last year until I saw this.

Comments (8)

  • 7 years ago



    I welcome this visitor.
    This Curry plant (Helichrysum Italicum) just showed up in my stucco Tea garden. I had moved out one huge nepeta and snuck in Anna Jung, and this plant showed up in front of Anna Olivier. I guess "going Italian" has consequences.
    Here, I saw something last year I thought might be a sage or something, but this shot up and my husband recognized it as a common Teasel. I don't think I need that. Maybe a bird planted it. I did cut this down. I'm overall happy to see volunteers up to a point, but this went over that point.

  • 7 years ago

    One minute you notice them, Ingrid, and wonder where did that come from? The Helichrysum could be cooling Anna Olivier, or blocking her sun in a bad way. Who knows sometimes?

  • 7 years ago

    My garden is staffed by volunteers (two foxgloves showed up this year! where did they come from?). Yours look great.

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 7 years ago

    Sheila, I was actually looking about creating my front yard as moonlight garden but with white roses. Then I stumble onto this pic and it looks like what you have ( first pic ) .
    When there is a full moon which is best but any moon will do, have you went for a stroll in your yard and by chance noticed it " glowing" or reflecting anything or see the plant at least . I am so curious. I been searching in this topic a lot actually but you have this plant. I am very curious :)
    You guys are so lucky to get volunteer surprises but mine has been more weeds and weeds I have never seen....lol
    When I saw that pineapple with a saucer like how Ingrid describe made me look at the pic and when I compare it...it is exactly the same. Thanks, Ingrid.
    That clue you gave made it so much easier for me .
    Thanks, Shiela :)
    jin

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Gorgeous! I am a total plant person, the more strange the better! Sheila, your garden is stunning!

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Your garden is beautiful Sheila! Love your volunteers, particularly the Eryngium Giganteum! It provides such an architectural attraction! But all of your volunteers are lovely. Well, maybe not the last one :-P

    I have a few volunteers in my garden too. Coreopsis Moonbeam self-seeds readily within about a 10 feet radius, and I'm happy to let them as well. The clear yellow and the airy leaves provide such a cheerful look in the peak of summer when they happily peek out of some burned leaf tips of other perennials. I love geraniums so I grow a whole bunch. I have Orion, Johnson's Blue, Lancastriense, Biokovo, Crystal Rose,and Max Frei, all of which are supposed to be sterile. Well, "supposed to". Since last year, I've been seeing these geranium seedlings from somebodies. Most of them look like Max Frei, but it's supposed to be sterile! There are a couple that clearly look like a pale version of Orion! I don't have the foggiest how they came about, but I welcome them with open arms :-)

    --Lin

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ)
  • 7 years ago

    Its fun to have some volunteers. We have had pink primrose, Oenothera, by the front door for years. When everything was landscaped last fall, primrose wasn’t on the “save” list. I thought it was removed. Apparently as they worked they spread bits of its roots in three other places since I don’t think it ever spread by seed before. Now I have two more clumps in this bed and one on other side of the driveway too. It was a pleasant surprise and looks great.

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal