Software
Houzz Logo Print
carla3127

Siding selection

7 years ago

Doing a major reno on our 1970s side split riverfront house and would love your thoughts on siding....We are planning on using James Hardy siding but uncertain if we should use shingle for the entire house (to give a cape cod feel) or if it would be too much shingle...Thoughts? Have also considered doing board and baton or lap siding but having difficulty deciding...I have attached photos of the house pre and post reno as well as some older designs (in the comment section) that we are not using but show board and baton and lap siding...

Comments (17)

  • 7 years ago

    We are not going with this design anymore - we are keeping the door where is it as in the above photo and extending the roof but these photos show board and baton and lap siding...

  • 7 years ago

    And why not use the beams in all the gables? Not a fan of the octagon window. Doesn’t fit the style imo. And I’d put more focus in the garage doors if your budget will allow. They are a large part of the house.

  • 7 years ago

    I would stick with all one style of material—it’s a classic look and keeps the house from looking chopped up as it could if you used too many materials. IMO, there is no reason to highlight the gables, especially when there are three such large ones. I might consider removing the belly band on the right gable.


    Keep it simple. If you like the look of cedar with cream or grey, you could have the columns be wood and the front door as well. What color is the roof to be?






    See how beautiful simple looks?

  • 7 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I agree! Simple is beautiful! I like the look of maibec shingle but want to use Hardie Board since we believe it will wear better...The problem is Hardie shingle doesn’t look the same and maibec shingle and given this I’m not sure if we should do board and baton or lap siding instead in Hardie instead...I flip flop all the time
  • 7 years ago

    Here is a photo with all three of the styles. Personally, for the size of your home, I think blending all three would be good. You have a lot of surface space. Good luck!

  • 7 years ago

    I think Sandra’s idea above is spot on. Harden board and batten with some shingles. All one color.

  • 7 years ago

    I would use lap siding for the body and if you want shingles add them in the gables. I am glad you are not moving the door. It looks better where it is.

  • PRO
    7 years ago


    Here is a home using a variety of different texture sidings successfully.

    Below is a home that didn't use the siding textures successfully.


  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for suggestions! I am still confused as to when to keep is simple and when to use multiple textures and appreciate your guidance in this regard. I do love simplicity but nervous that only using only shingle or only lap siding will be too much of one thing! Also, someone suggested doing something with the garage...What should we do?

  • 7 years ago

    I was the one that commented on more focus with the garage doors. My thoughts are since they are very large doors and two of them, give them some presence. Since you are going with the lap siding, board and batten, and shingle style, (if you decide in all three) use something like this for the garage doors. I think your house has good bones and would look good with all three of the components you have to choose from. In my opinion it is a large enough structure that all could be used. If you are going to the time and expense to do this make it count. Please show us a finished photo.

  • 7 years ago

    I forgot to mention that the original house has brown brick on a bit of the front of the house and on the sides and back...Would anyone consider keeping the brick and painting it?

  • 7 years ago

    Here is the back of the house as is...

  • 7 years ago

    And here is the back of the house with the garage addition

  • 7 years ago

    Were it me, I'd take Anna's third example and do the stone as the foundation level and then all shingle. Here is an article on the shingle style:
    https://www.period-homes.com/features/history-of-shingle-style-homes

    If you go that way, try to work in that little flare at the bottom of the shingles:

    Just make sure to wrap the stone all the way around the house.

    I think this is a better way to go than trying to use too many materials and too many elements. I also wouldn't go out of my way to highlight the garage doors, unless you really want your house to say "WELCOME TO MY GARAGE!!! (and also the house)" It sort of puts me in mind of Blackadder


  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Holly! We are trying not to draw attention to the garages even though they are a big part of the house!

  • 7 years ago

    Would anyone consider painting the brick?