Software
Houzz Logo Print
sparklekitchen

What showerhead layout and choices if I do NOT use a shower panel?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are doing a new build. I've read criticism on here about using a shower panel in a new build as opposed to installing individual components. Until now I have used this Vigo shower panel that we installed in a remodel of our current home, and other than the lack of ability to adjust the top panel direction-wise, I've been really happy with it and love the spray on my legs:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VIGO-Sutherland-65-in-2-Jet-High-Pressure-Shower-Panel-System-with-Rainhead-Fixed-Handheld-Dual-Shower-in-Stainless-Steel-VG08009ST/204503233

Can someone point me in the direction of a thread with a discussion about components to install to make a shower like this from individual components, or point me to a resource. I've not discussed any of this with the builder yet, but want to research the price of individual pieces and see how on earth I'm to put this together if we don't use a panel. My fear is that the cost will be prohibitive.

THANK YOU!

Comments (8)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I don't know why anyone would want that huge panel in a shower. (Reminds me of Tars in Interstellar)


    Besides being unsightly, it's just cheap. $449? How long do you think this will last compared to a standard brass fixture and valve?

    what's wrong w/regular components? it looks nicer and is easier to keep clean. I don't know what your style is, but these lean more modern.








    it will prob cost a bit more than that other thing, but chances are it will last a hell of a lot longer. It's a new build, so everything is already open. Any of these would be so much better

  • 7 years ago

    I think the panel is cool and modern looking. Plus, it's got options built in for all sorts of sprayers, without needing a thousand separate pieces of plumbing coming through the tile!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Those panel things are just junk. They are poorly made at the best. At the worst, they are an outright illegal piece, produced by sla^e labor and imported for pennies. There’s no way anyone should consider something like that in a new bath.

  • 7 years ago

    There are 315 reviews on Home Depot, 297 reviewers gave it 4 or 5 stars, and 92% recommend it. It's "all brass construction". If you like it, go for it.

    (The best shower I ever had was in a hotel that had the Hansgrohe 27112001 Showerpipe 360 Rain Shower System with Handheld Shower, 2.5 GPM RainAir Spray and 3-Spray Handheld Shower. It's a complete set with the exception of the required Hansgrohe 16181181 Exposed Thermostatic Basic Set. The shower head is wide so I think it should only be installed in a large shower. Except for the Basic Set, all the components are outside the wall so if anything breaks, it can be repaired or replaced.)

    -- amateur

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thank you The Cook's Kitchen! I love that link and I will talk to the builder and plumber then I guess. I had sort of wanted to avoid the bother if I wasn't going to be able to afford it, but I will just let them know I have questions and it might not be in my budget.

    To the other responders- thank you - yes I understand the concerns and have read those same posts on here a ton, hence the reason for my post. I am wanting guidance on the alternatives. Does anyone have components they can recommend?

  • 7 years ago

    wdcrusise,,,most raters rate after install. of course it's going to look great. how about 2 years later? anybody rate it after a few years after being exposed to hard water and mineral build-up? That's the point we were making.

  • 7 years ago

    Beth H: "Besides being unsightly, it's just cheap. $449? How long do you think this will last compared to a standard brass fixture and valve?"

    Actually, it's you have no idea. Typical Houzz snobbery.