woodnative

Echinopsis (or Echinolobivia) 'Rainbow Bursts'...knowledge/experience?

woodnative

Echinopsis 'Rainbow Bursts' shows up a lot in mixed cactus at the "big box stores". I am assuming this is a seed strain or just general label for these hybrid(s)?? Origin?? Anyone here growing these and what does yours look like. I bought a tiny one years ago......grew in a massive low/ball shaped plant with lots of pups and big fluorescent pink flowers in summer. I wish it was a little more floriferous but when in bloom it is fantastic. I bought another small on this year.....which looks a bit different in spines so hopefully another color......just for fun. I also bought an Echinopsis on ebay this year that is a nice soft yellow. How did your 'Rainbow Bursts' turn out????

• Stefan

Right. Googling it up, i see photos of very very different plants.

I see

orange http://lh4.ggpht.com/_aDoVw07chhQ/TDs3hplagUI/AAAAAAAACzk/go92EOrn1Vs/s400/hood-c0688-1.jpg ... clearly a lobivia-type echinopsis hybrid(flat, weird spines, orange bloom)

pink/magenta https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/j60AAOSw~sdcLnpr/s-l640.jpg

This is definitely a hybrid. Though the lobivia bit is unlikely( not such features). Stem is core echinopsis , flower is pink + red , maybe from grandiflorus, or other oxygona hybrids . This is probably the one you mean by rainbow bursts.

than there is this ; http://www.aliceliles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/IMG_8481.jpg

Its actually the slightly pink form of oxygona. Not really a species,more like a variant. .

http://media.growsonyou.com/photos/blog_photo/image/110988/main/098.jpg

• Stefan

Here is a guide to echinopsis hybrids;

- barrel stem, short spines, dark green, normal ribs. Oxygona/eyriesii hybrid. Long flower stalks .Flower can be all colors(schick hybrids are most famous) https://live.staticflickr.com/6020/5966323029_63b3facdc6_b.jpg

- thin stem, small, small spines. Slightly shorter flowers. Chamacereus hybrids

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/Family/Cactaceae/22111/Echinopsis_chamaecereus_cv._Yellow_Bird

- something in between the first and second. Large blooms, large stem. Grandiflorus hybrids. May also includeschickendantzii https://trichocereus.net/wp-content/uploads/T.grandiflorus-Patch_3.jpg

- flat stem, small plant, spider web ribs, curved spines. Arachnacantha hybrids.

http://www.llifle.com/photos/Echinopsis_arachnacantha_12503_l.jpg

- stem covered in small spines, columnar. Flowers are weird, Cleistocactus x echinopsis(trichocereus members) http://www.cactuseraie.fr/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/hildewintera-x-echinopsis.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8a/04/df/8a04df7a384cc38a76159e795111f9a1.jpg

-pachanoi hybrids(san pedro and other hallucinogenic or non hallucinogenic look alikes)

all look roughly similar, some more spiny , some less. Columnar, thick ribs, long spines mostly https://i.imgur.com/kAtLuHt.jpg 

• woodnative

Here is mine

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)

Wow, woodnative, very pretty!

woodnative thanked akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
  • Edie

I bought a bunch of these in 4" pots this spring. No blooms yet. Mine all look slightly different from each other so I'm hoping to get a mix of colors.

• woodnative

Flower closeup from plant above

• SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)

Heres mine from this past spring. I’ve had it for 2-3 years. I think it had like 5-6 blooms at once. When these were done it bloomed again and still has lots more buds. I’ll see if they open.

Actually you know what? I’m pretty sure my pics are the wrong plant and not what was requested in the original post. My pics are not Rainbow Bursts. My pics are Rose Quartz! Oops! ...sorry... I can delete them...?

Tyler

ps. I do have Rainbow Bursts pics somewhere though I’m sure.

• woodnative

SoCal Stewart leave the photos..........still nice to look at.........did yor 'Rainbow Bursts' flower yet?? My smaller plant has buds so I hope it blooms this summer (and hoping for a different color!).

I have 2 but only one has bloomed back in April. Currently no buds and I think this is the typical color...? Not sure on that though as this is the only one I’ve ever had. Not sure it shows in the photo but mine is mostly reddish with some neon orange and neon pink. Hard to capture with my phone.

• woodnative

That is very nice............and I amhoping for more reddish on my next one.........I thought more of them were typically pink (like mine above). I like your reddish flower a LOT! Any offsets?? Yours doesn't seem to be spiny either.

I’m pretty sure there are offsets. I’d be happy to send you a couple. I’ve never removed any before though. Do you know how to do it? Maybe it’s easy and I’m making a big deal out of nothing.

• woodnative

Thank you! If they are small maybe wait a year for them to develop a bit and we could do a color swap.

Sounds good. I’ll try to remember to take & post pictures this weekend and you or someone can tell me if they are big enough to remove... and maybe how to go about it.

Tyler

Here it is. It’s got a few offsets. Big enough to remove, right? Ok so how? I can’t remember when I got it. I’ll try to find some pictures.

And look! Another bud!

I think this might be the same plant. Pretty sure it is. Got it back in June of 2018. This is before repotting. I waited since I bought it full of buds.

Sorry the pics are blurry. They are images of images so somewhat degraded.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA

Echinobivia ‘Rainbow Burst’ is a great cactus to own. They’re super easy to grow and first time flowering is exciting because the flower’s color is a mystery. The petals shape can be different too.

My first Rainbow Burst has an orange flower. I don’t have any really a good pics of the flowers. This pic is from a couple yrs ago, but it does have buds now. The flowers on this guy never fully open. They stay looking like how they are below.

I rescued one that was in Home Depot one winter that was becoming etiolated. No flower yet.

2017

Not the prettiest now, but interesting nonetheless;).

Another Rainbow Burst that has yet to bloom. Desperately needs repotting;).

Lastly my crested Rainbow Burst today;).

• woodnative

Cool! I like it and would like to trade when it gets a good offset. Here is my other purchased earlier this year. No blooms yet but those buds are growing!!

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA

The Rainbow Burst in my first pic definitely has big enough babies on it now to trade. Everything else is probably to small. Unfortunately my crested Rainbow Burst will probably never make a baby to trade;),

• woodnative

Perfect if Stewart would like to trade a red and Kara your orange..... I think I would have all the whole color spectrum then ( I have a yellow) They twist or cut off fairly easily ( you can fold some newspaper to protect your hands from the spines) they look great!

Sounds good. I’ll give it a shot this weekend. I use to know how to send a private message on Houzz so that we can make arrangements but ever since they changed the site I haven’t been able to figure it out.

I tried to send the email deleting the space after the @ and deleting the z in the msn domain but it bounced back as undeliverable.

ahhhh... I get it. I’ll try it again.

• woodnative

Did you send one? Don't see it yet?

• Stefan

Its probably olga chris yada yada(without the Zs)...

Got occupied . Sorry. Just sent it.

• woodnative

SoCal Stewart little box taped and going in the mail today! Kara would love to trade for one of those orange. Everyone else where are you pics!! Surely more people must be growing these?? Also who came up with the 'Rainbow Bursts' name....I am sure it is a commercial nursery......any more info on these??

woodnative, one is on its way to you as well. All separated and packaged up last night. I’ll be taking it to the post office today. Thank you in advance for the trade.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA

Woodnative I replied to your pm:).

• woodnative

Kara I replied to you yesterday. Hope you saw it! : )

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA

Yes, I will send it out today or tomorrow. I’ll send you the USPS tracking #.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5

Tyler, do you need help depupping? You’re a clean knife and a dry wound away from successful separation.

Hey Jeff. Thanks for the support. I actually successfully performed my first depupping. Much easier than I thought it was going to be. Not sure what I was so afraid of! LOL! Silly me.

• woodnative

Kara I am not sure if you are getting my responses to the Houzz messages???

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA

I sent you a pm a couple days ago did you get it?

• woodnative

Yes and I responded to all of them........perhaps it is something with Houzz.......or perhaps it is me responding on my phone (although I did that before).....let me try from here.........

• notolover

Here are some of my favorites; I've acquired 7 more this summer and I got a two-fer with this one. Only sizable pups are on Big Maude, but not ready to part with any yet, sorry.

Big Maude

• notolover

@Kara--That peach colored one is gorgeous!

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA

Noto, did you buy all those at big box stores? There were two Rainbow Burst at HD last wk. I’m really thinking about going back.

I’ve been wanting to tell you the big clump of Echinocereus you sent me in 2017 is doing great. I put them in the ground Oct. 2017. I was a little nervous because that’s when the rain comes for us, but I didn’t want to wait till spring to plant. They didn’t do any growing I could see last year, but this May one of the cactus gave me two flowers, and all three have put out new top growth. I was happy and relieved tbh;).

Thank you again;)!

I just love the pistil on this guy.

New fresh spines and growth.

• notolover

Kara; I'm glad that the Tricho is doing well. Yes, I get my Rainbow Bursts from the BBS; mostly the Walmart that is close to my house. Many of them still have not bloomed. Can't wait!

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA

DAANNNGGGG you got all those Rainbow Burst cactus with beautiful flowers from big box stores. I definitely need to pick up those two from HD. Walmart is right across the street from my HD so I will check there too.

• woodnative

Noto- That is a nice variety of colors..........a rainbow's worth of colors, though maybe heavy on the pink shades. Very nice to know there are lots of variety in these guys!

The bud in my July 12 post above opened last night/this morning. Looks like something was nibbling on it.

woodnative, this is the same plant as the offset I sent you. Looking less red and more peach here.

• woodnative

I got a very generous package in the mail yesterday with these little guys!! Thank you!!! I am going to plant them together like this for now probably separate them out in a year.

Stewart that looks great and is a nice color whatever it is!

• notolover

Woodnative--the comment about the RB having a lot of pink flowers is exactly what someone commented to me a few days ago. It's a good thing I love pink :-) Although I wouldn't mind some reds or purples.