Software
Houzz Logo Print
twinmamamaven

Kitchen Makeover: Bold Granite or Bold Backsplash?

13 years ago
We are about to remodel our kitchen (see below picture). I have fallen in LOVE with a bold granite and a bold backsplash but they do NOT look good together. So I am trying to decide: Go with a bold granite (and neutral backsplash) or go with a bold Backsplash (and neutral granite/quartz). Our cabinets will be white shaker style and our floors will be wood medium tones.
The Bold Granite
The Bold Backsplash

Comments (14)

  • 13 years ago
    hum, it is saying I have votes but I can not see the results :/
  • 13 years ago
    I think the counter is a great place to begin...the Bold Backsplash is amazing, however you will be "somewhat locked" into those colors for a long time.
    twinmamamaven thanked CTP
  • 13 years ago
    I love the backsplash but I also voted bold granite because I am not "bold" enough to lock myself (as tyrrell put it) into the backsplash colors.
    What about doing the bold granite and a backsplash in the same shape as the bold backsplash just in either a solid color or tone on tone/relatively monochromatic in a neutral pulled from the granite.
    twinmamamaven thanked User
  • 13 years ago
    bold backsplash. and if you get tired of it in 5 years you can change it again.
    twinmamamaven thanked mintygreenlove
  • 13 years ago
    I have lots of decorations that are the turquoise and blues/greens, so that could be where the bright colors come into play. Also maybe a bold wall color? We just bought the house but I am still thinking of resale and some might not like the bold backsplash (considering we are in Texas, not near a beach). Thank you for the votes/comments, please keep them coming!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Loving the bold backsplash! maybe with a nice soapstone countertop!
    twinmamamaven thanked Shakuff
  • 13 years ago
    HI -- You should pick the one you can live with the longest . The backsplash tiles are really pretty and the area of tile is not that large , so that could be replaced in a few years if and when you want a change . As for the counter tops - that is the most expensive item to replace ,so that will be there a very long time . Can you live with it for a long time ? Do you tend to change your mind a lot ? I didn't vote because this will have to be your call . I know you have probably fallen in love with both when you saw them , but I think it will come down to money now and in the future .
    twinmamamaven thanked lefty47
  • 13 years ago
    I wouldn't go with the blue/green backsplash - it's too specific and if you want to resale the house, you might have a problem. Plus, I think that's all you're going to notice in your kitchen...you can always add color with accessories. I like your granite though.
    twinmamamaven thanked inabunker
  • 13 years ago
    Kelly- sums this whole debate up ;))
    twinmamamaven thanked User
  • 13 years ago
    Countertops mean more to me than backsplash. It is a larger investment and there is usually more of it. I would go with the granite you love and find another backsplash that works.
    twinmamamaven thanked 2peafaithful
  • 13 years ago
    Do your granite and use the same slab for the backsplash. I've done this on many properties and it looks great. No grout and you can be bold in both spots.
    twinmamamaven thanked crp1234
  • 13 years ago
    Backsplash is easier to change. I would do a nice neutral quartz and then the backsplash. That is easily changed in 5-7 years or if you need to redo it for resale, and usually for less than 2k vs granite to replace is 3-5x that depending on amount used and detail of edge. I would not worry about being too specific. It is your kitchen, so you have to love it-- but I really hate neutral, so that is my bias. If you choose the granite though, do not do the granite as the backsplash. It is a very dated look- like pre 2005- at least in LA. That would be an instant turn off for me if I were a future buyer.
    twinmamamaven thanked Jenny Youngblood
  • 4 years ago

    second to @crp1234. Granite for backsplash is grand and functional easy to clean (smooth continuous surface with little to no grout to brush) As for the countertop, I would keep it less busy by opting for white/ light color shiny quartz with little to no pattern, or you can use the same granite you use for the backsplash. Both are durable, easy to clean, and timeless enough to increase the value of the house.