Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckington

Pulls on narrow doors?

beckington
4 years ago

I was pretty much decided on using Amerock Blackrock pulls in black bronze on all my uppers and lowers, but realized that most of my doors on the uppers are narrow - and now I'm wondering if these pulls will look too heavy or busy.

The doors are between 11.5" and 15" wide. (And no this isn't changing so please don't suggest that as a fix!) Shaker doors in a light blue-gray. 36" high, 8 foot ceiling. Some of the uppers have frosted glass in the upper section - this isn't its own door/cabinet, but part of the door.

So should I switch to knobs for the uppers?

Related: do you think the frosted glass sections of the uppers will make them look too busy, considering the narrowness of the doors?

Thanks!

Design not finalized, but just in case this helps:

Comments (14)

• acm
    4 years ago

pulls pulls!!

beckington thanked acm
  • beckington
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks! really would prefer pulls! karen, is that your kitchen? it's beautiful!

• RosemaryR
    4 years ago

I have pulls on bottom and knobs on top but you should do whatever pleases you and think the frosted glass will not look busy.

beckington thanked RosemaryR
  • chispa
    4 years ago

With 8 ft ceilings I would do a full height door and not the split design you showed. It makes the ceiling look low with that extra horizontal line.

I am going to guess Karen has 9 ft ceilings?

beckington thanked chispa
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

I would not do the upper glass in the doors for the reason chispa said. My condo had 8' ceilings and it would have stunted the look. I'm guessing the upper to the left of the sink will be for dishes and glassware? If so, what about making the full cabinet glass there to lighten the look on the sink wall.

Your pulls look great and so does your layout. Well done!

One other thought. You might want to consider actually making your cabinets 39" tall and only having a 3" "crown" so your ceiling feels taller. The 6" crown will also make it feel shorter.

Here is my old condo with our cabinets so you can see what an 8' ceiling height looks like with cabinets. Note how I went with a small "crown"? Just enough to "finish" it but letting the cabinets almost go to the ceiling so they drew your eye up.

beckington thanked cpartist
  • fstfanoff
    4 years ago

Cpartist - where is your picture?

• fstfanoff
    4 years ago

Cpartist - just loaded. Kitchen is lovely.

• K R
    4 years ago

Yes it is, thank you. Here is before (bought house in 2003) and after (2018).

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Thank you fstfanoff. That kitchen is from 2010. We no longer own the condo

• beckington
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ah, OK, think I might ditch the frosted glass bits. I wasn't completely sold on them anyhow. It was mostly to try and break up the cabinetry, but really there isn't that much, lol! And yes maybe a glass door on the cabinet by the window would help with that, like you suggested cpartist. Do you think it would look weird to just have one cabinet with a glass door?

Here's the design from another angle, showing the window wall better. I was concerned the cabinets were going super close to the window and that it'd feel crowded - it's about an inch space there now and that's fine, but I think the new plans have it squashed up more (will be confirmed when kitchen dude comes by next week for final measurements) - but maybe having glass there would help with that. On the other side of the window is a narrow bookcase and while not glass kind of would 'mirror' the open feel... OK I might be grasping lol!!

Would it be cheating to have frosted glass??

Will definitely ask about going to 39". I'm not a fan of big crowns - I like the crown on your kitchen, cpartist. Plain and simple in a good way - not boxy!

• felizlady
    4 years ago

I use pull knobs on every door. I am sure they can match your handles.

• K R
    4 years ago

Yes I have 9 foot ceilings and the cabinets (custom) are 39”.

• K R
    4 years ago

I actually might frost my glass tops, I’m still considering. I’ll do it with my awesome tint guy though so it’s not 100% permanent. I had him frost my kitchen window because I was sick of looking at my gross neighbor out on his pool deck everyday lol but I love it, still lets light in.