Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21888603

Winter rose update

7 years ago

Nothing very interesting has been happening in the Rose area, but we had a nice, sunny weekend so I decided to repot and reorganise my pot pets.

Francis D got a big new pot, and the Hugo Rollers we’re moved into nice new dragon pots. They all got a trim, but the HRs are still in full leaf and growing actively. They love this mild climate. I also found a new volunteer rose that I potted up. It’s another FD seedling.




We also bought some new Bali style pots and reorganised the succulent pots around the pool in readiness for summer. It might look sunny, but definitely too cold for a dip at the moment.



Comments (11)

  • 7 years ago

    Adam that is great. Sounds like so.much work redoing all the dragon pots . I hope you got help as o see some huge plants in them.
    I am trying to find which is Bali pots ? I think I know which one but I can be wrong...lol. Your pool patio all look very pretty. Love the design :)

    jin

    User thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Francis D will be so happy and I see two huge trees. Are they in pots as well ?
    jin

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    The trees in the big pots are Madagascar palms. They are a thorny frangipani relative, and are happy to grow in relatively small pots.


    The seedling is a ruffled brightly colored red, and very fragrant.

    HRs are the Hugo Rollers.





    These are the “Bali pots”. Not sure where they are really from, but they have a Balinese vibe.



    Yes, the garden is very different from the old one. The soil is so poor that I have had to adapt. Although the few roses I have in the front yard are doing surprisingly well. But I will need to keep the manure up to them.



  • 7 years ago

    Archiducs Charles and Joseph don’t mind the sandy conditions.


  • 7 years ago

    Bali pots are new homes for the cycads


  • 7 years ago

    Those Bali pots bring character. Love those pots and I always thought if them as Mediterranean pots...lol
    Your garden is coming along very nicely. I am glad you planted a few roses in ground too. I am swooning all over your pics as I see so many tropical plants and foliage. I was wondering if you can get Murly grass there. What do you think of them ? They do really well in heat. ..hint, hint...lol

    I will get murky grass but not now maybe next year or following year so I can see where I can squeeze in my yard as they roses grow.

    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Sorry for wrong spelling. But muhly grass. Got to clock in for work...bye
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    We can get a similar grass called purple fountain grass (Pennisetum advena Rubrum), but it is an invasive species, so they discourage planting it. But I have bought some Red Hot Pokers which have grassy foliage and attract the honeyeaters with their flowers.

  • 7 years ago

    We have that here too the fountain grass and many other species ( which I am still learning to ID) . I never knew it is invasive Bec I see it planted at theme parks . They look so behave unless the horticultural Dept must be on top of their game. Thanks for the tip. :)
    I know they whacked some almost 6-7 inches to ground. So by Fall we should have beautiful display
    .
    jin