Software
Houzz Logo Print
ashnjake

Help me make my dining room come alive! Should I paint ? Add wall deco

13 years ago
My curtains are candlelight silk. I was thinking of painting the wall a different color and maybe adding blue willow platters/plates on either side of the blue Herron print. HELP!!

Comments (32)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here is a color theme from the Color911 app that I think would give you some color direction.. I hope it inspires you!
    ashnjake thanked Amy Wax
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I suggest a richer color on the walls. Look for an accent color in the area rug (not the main red color). If there is a shade of blue, that would work well with your heron print and the cream draperies. What colors are in surrounding areas. You need to be careful of too many different wall colors.
    ashnjake thanked AHT Interiors
  • 13 years ago
    I like the direction you want to go, but would get a large vertical mirror to hang in place of the heron so the chandelier would be reflected. I don't think you need any plates. Move the heron to the wall where the mirror is now. Not sure you need that other table there. Your buffet lamps, if staying, would be where I'd find the frame material for the mirror. SW 6228 called Refuge is the perfect blue backdrop for your space. If you're afraid it is too dark, use a lighter shade from the same color chip strip.
    Refuge SW6228 Paint by Sherwin-Williams · More Info
    ashnjake thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 13 years ago
    A gold color may look good. I would add some color on each table top. Maybe the platters above the picture and around sides to bring the eye up.
    ashnjake thanked Deborah Page
  • 13 years ago
    I think your room looks beautiful. My only suggestion is to get two fabulous buffet lamps that speak to your beautiful chandelier. Something sparkly. :)
    Tableau Crystal Table Lamp · More Info
    ashnjake thanked Darzy
  • 13 years ago
    You have beautiful furniture, and I love the picture frame moldings. I think putting color above the chair rail is a good idea. It's hard to tell from the pictures what colors are in your rug, but picking a soft accent color from the rug would be a possibility. Keep it light, as your furniture is already dark. Also, a custom floral centerpiece for the dining table might add a lot. The buffet lamps could be more elaborate also, as yours seem to get lost in their present setting.

    Another idea: I had a dining room almost identical to yours years ago, and I did a color stripe near the ceiling with the crown molding. You can do this by painting a strip of color about 2-3" wide right below the crown molding, then adding a narrower strip of molding below the strip of color. It makes a nice finish near the ceiling and adds interest.
    ashnjake thanked papillon2
  • 13 years ago
    I think S-W refuge is what I have on my bedroom walls. What curtains would match?

    DR-Owner: I'd vote for a colorful runner in the center of your table and a centerpiece.
    ashnjake thanked Sigrid
  • 13 years ago
    Sigrid - have you posted your own dilemma? Hate to abscond with this thread, so take some pix and let us help you.
    ashnjake thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 13 years ago
    Your DR is a great start! You just need to add some layers to make it look more finished. The blue plates would work well with the walls. I agree about the floral centerpiece-- think layers & textures to add depth and interest. You have a beautiful classic room! Good luck
    ashnjake thanked laurakdesigns
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Your dining room chairs need a more vibrant fabric. Perhaps a tone-on-tone blue stripe -- maybe in the Refuge color noted by decoenthusiaste?

    Keep the wall paint color, but make your ceiling darker so that your crown molding will stand out. I agree that you need a tall vertical mirror in the room. You're well on your way to making a gorgeous traditional DR -- especially with that spectacular and perfect chandelier!
    ashnjake thanked chatelaine9
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Color ... Darker wall, brighter color for accents in the room in accessories. Reupholster chairs seats in a favorite color or print Sprinkle the new colors around the room.
    ashnjake thanked LB Interiors
  • 13 years ago
    I think something like this would be beautiful and those lamps Darzy recommended would give the room a hint of contemporary style.
  • 13 years ago
    You have beautiful furniture, chandelier, mirror-everything. But possibly there is too much going on, and paint won't pull it together. Think of what you love in the room- probably the table set and chandelier. Lower the chandelier. Use either the Herron print or the mirror over the buffet. Not sure what the console table is for that is under the mirror- would you think of removing it? The plant would be nice on the buffet with 2 shorter lamps. If you like blue & white, get some Ralph Lauren looking lamps here. Blue and white would look great with your rug.
    ashnjake thanked sullivandesign
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you so much for your suggestions! Now to find the perfect shade of blue and accessories!
  • 12 years ago
    The room is so lovely. I think the plates are necessarily needed. I think a tall plant would look nice to right of Heron painting just inside that door. I would leave heron painting where it is.
    ashnjake thanked mariaed
  • 10 years ago

    Agree with all of the above - I would add some mirrors and metals (gold, silver)

    ashnjake thanked Jane Cook
  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Thank you everyone for your suggestions years ago! I took these pictures last night. I added blue and white platters and urns and added the mirror. I also put larger lampshades on my lamps.

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    The only thing I still would like to change is the artwork on the right side wall from the Christmas tree. I think a picture grouping would look good

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Great job, so far! We love to see results, and so often we never see the outcome of our input.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Thanks for your update! Lookin' good. Are you still thinking of paint or adding more colors other than neutral palettes? If you still want to put a bit more life in the room, what about some warmer colors with a bit stronger saturation?

    ashnjake thanked LB Interiors
  • 10 years ago
    Looks great! I would consider an even larger mirror over the buffet. Just a couple of inches shy of the crown moulding and almost as wide as the buffet. I would also choose a more contemporary frame. You need one modern element in this beautiful classic space. Great job!
    ashnjake thanked wickedwhite
  • 10 years ago
    Georgeous table setting and your Xmas decor is spot on! So welcoming. Your family is lucky to have you. Just beautiful.
    ashnjake thanked wickedwhite
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Wow! Holidays really liven up a room!! It looks great. I love the plates and the jars. It is great to see the color and the attention to the lamps paid off also.

    ashnjake thanked RJ Custom Interiors
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you! I definitely would like to add a larger mirror ( I already owned this one) and some modern artwork! i have really appreciated everyone's input!

  • 10 years ago
    Ashnjake , I just read through your thread and wanted to tell you how truly lovely your dining room is! I love your furnishings and think your chandelier is fabulous! I also love your buffet lamps and am so glad you kept them! Your creamy walls seem fine to me; especially with the dark furniture and the wonderful blue and white China! You may want to find a large b&w foot bath for the table after the holidays. That being said I don't think a modern mirror would look good here, . Well I should say , not bad but something more ornate may look better! Someone also suggested trimming your drapes along the leading edge; great idea. Because they are so close in color it will make them stand out from the wall and make them that much more luxurious!
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you for your kind words! I think we have similar taste! I have also looked at these ornate mirrors and the blue and white foot bath (I actually have one I received as a wedding gift but it is multi color and I use it often!) but would love to find a b&w one! The mirror I like and need for this space would have to be large...just need to find the perfect one! Thank you for the input !!!