Software
Houzz Logo Print
jjkoc

Zone designations in profile

Sorry to ask this basic question, but does anyone know how to indicate hardiness zone as part of GW user profile. It used to display after the username, but has since disappeared.


Thank you!

Comments (30)

  • 7 years ago

    I can see you are 10a/22 so I think you did it already.

  • 7 years ago

    I cannot see yours vapor. How irritating the houzz tech team can be. I did put my info in my name.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I placed my zone info. with my name...

    Glad to see this post, because so many of us are here seeking or providing advice/information. The more that is known about the zone and just as important where the person gardens... the better the information in these threads become...

    Ex: Sheilah's zone 8a in Rogue Valley, OR is going to be sooo different from a zone 8a in South Carolina... versus 8a in Arizona...

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • 7 years ago

    vapor - I can see yours, but Sheila cannot - I think the only reliable thing to do is to put it as part of your name.

    Jackie

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked jacqueline9CA
  • 7 years ago

    I have done that Jackie oh, but it does not register. One can only see it to the gardenweb. They only let you change things twice in one year and I've done that so now I can't do it anymore. It's very annoying.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Vaporvac-

    I changed mine at least 3 times trying to go from desertgarden to what it is now...???? Have you tried recently? Houzz clearly is continuing to update and modify their site... maybe making the changes you desire will work now?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    It also has to do if you are on a phone or laptop also.. Sometimes I see mine from my laptop because it does not change gardenweb directly to who's but remains gardenweb.. I'm just saying that it says right on it you can't change it and within two times in a year and I changed mine and it shows in my profile as having been changed directly in my name but when I see it here it doesn't show. That's all I know I've contacted them about it and they've done zip all. I'll try it again. Desert Garden, t what are you on?

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I would like to know what you did LLynnn and what platform you use when you did it. I know that changing it in the name is the only way to have it show on both platforms. See it as part of my name when I am on the Garden Web. I currently see it. The strange thing is only Vapor vac is bold I guess I'll try and change it again and see what happens maybe it depends what platform on in when I change it.

  • 7 years ago

    Okay I just tried that and it shut me out of the platform and wouldn't let me sign in. I'll try for my computer in a bit it's too hard for my phone.

  • 7 years ago

    Goodluck!

  • 7 years ago

    I changed my name a few months ago to have my zone appear after my name. If you can see it on your platform then it worked. You should see “Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal”. So you can change “jjkoc” to add your zone and location after. I changed mine at least twice over a couple weeks with no problems. I have never used GardenWeb and rarely use Houzz in a browser, mostly the Houzz app on my iPad, but I don’t remember if I changed my name in browser or app.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I use my laptop (mac/safari/bing), an IPad Mini, or my cell IPhone8+. I try to avoid using my cell because it is so difficult for me to see/edit etc. using that little screen.

    From my laptop, Ipad, and cell, I can see your Stephanie,9b inland SoCal (9b) , Stephanie. It is definitely working.


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    This is where the info. is placed:


    Profile Information

    First name (publicly displayed). - Right Here


    Beyond that Vaporvac... ???


  • 7 years ago

    Hmmm. I just change it in username which of course changes URL. I didn't use profile info as I remember Cori Anne's issues with them displaying her personal profile info such as her real name. I will try that I guess and hope it doesn't go haywire again. I can easily see everyone's info when using Gardenweb. Somehow it was Houzz that got bookmarked for me. thank you Lynn for telling me that's where you put the info rather than under username.

  • 7 years ago

    I think my issue is similar to VaporVac...thanks everyone for the discussion and validating that I’m not the only one that finds off the discrepancy between GW and Houzz.


    I use my mobile primarily to access this forum via Houzz and cannot see my zone info. Like Sheila mentioned I do see it if I log into GW on the computer.


    So should I try to add this info to the Profile first name and then log into GW and delete this info from the zone field? I tried to add the info directly to the username, but as VaporVac mentioned it totally changes the url and it makes everything lowercase.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I will try. You can go into gardenweb from a phone.... I just didn't bookmark that. I may do it now. However, I wouldn't delete info from the zone field as I don't think it's bothersome to appear twice. I'm going to just add the info to profile name and keep my user name and see what happens. Lynne, the 2x a year thing is for username, not profile name. It must be because the former accesses the URL. Whew! Could they make it any screwier? Edit: you need to put both username and zone in profile box as that will be all that shows. Off to see what it looks like in GW....the info just appears twice. Better than not at all!

  • 7 years ago

    VaporVac, I see you added your zone info to the profile name. I also did so.

    I find it a little annoying that it appears twice with the zone designation carried over from GW in parenthesis, but I agree, better that everyone can see it now regardless of how a user logs in. I called Houzz to talk to their tech team to see how to access the zone information in the user profile. As you can only access user profile from Houzz. GW appears to be a read only platform? I hope to get a call back on Monday. Will let you know if/what I find out.

  • 7 years ago

    Vaporvac-

    Ah... that clarifies the situation.

    I have never changed my user name... it has been the same since I joined GW years ago...(If it changed... I did not take notice) but my profile (public) changes according to where I am a resident... I just happen to have resided in three different states this year which prompted changes which always showed up when I post...

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    My user name has been the same forever. I wonder if my info still shows up. Answer. Yes, it does.

  • 7 years ago

    Jeri I only see your name and that's it. This is so bizarre.
    jin

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Jin, that is because you are going in through Houzz rather than gardenweb.com. Try that , go to the rose forum and you will see Jeri's info.You may have to hit sign in again, but it will do it automatically once you hit that.

  • 7 years ago

    In case members are not aware, can I just alert you to this... I told Cori Ann about it when she was here and she got very upset over it..

    Whatever you put in as your username is visible to be read, so do take care if you are using your real name on that, even though your 'screen name' [profile name publicly displayed] may be different..

    All I have to do is hover the mouse arrow over the 'screen name', and if I look down at the left hand corner of my screen, it will show up that member's 'username'... like this:

    https://gardenweb.com/user/whatever name you've put in... if it's your real name it will show up..

    I'm using a laptop... on my mobile phone I only see the 'screen name' [profile name publicly displayed]...

    If you hover the mouse over my name Marlorena, and then look down bottom left of screen it will say

    https://gardenweb.com/user/marlorena2

    …. just so you know...

  • 7 years ago

    I am sorry if this thread caused anyone to be upset. Marlorena, if I have expressed anything offensive please extend my apologies to Cori Ann.


    I simply wasn‘t sure why my zone info was not visible from both Houzz and GardenWeb. I think both Vaporvac and I were alerted to a resolution.

  • 7 years ago

    jjkOC…. oh no... nothing to do with this thread, please don't be alarmed over that... this was going back what well over a year or so I should think... Cori Ann wasn't aware that her name was showing up so I pointed it out to her on some other thread we were talking on... nothing to do with this one... she had a bust up with Houzz over it because she didn't know her username was visible... apparently they are not private...

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked User
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Oh, thank you so much Marlorena for clarifying... I am so glad to hear that my thread was not offensive.

    Houzz indicates now that those fields are public. I’m glad that they made things more transparent.

  • 7 years ago

    Jeri, I am using Houzz app. FYI- I just see your name “jerijen”. If I click on it, it takes me to another page, but no zone info there either. I also just kicked DH off his Mac and checked the Houzz website in the Safari browser and it looks almost the same. I don’t know anything about the GardenWeb website.

  • 7 years ago

    Geezs, I could not get back on this thread after I went to their platform or House website. It is still got Gremlins there and Monsters which followed me. Yikes!! Started same old stuff for me and there I was thinking I was on chrome. One alphabet I could type and that's it. I left the platform and when to chrome and again it followed . I was getting worried and frustrated again.
    Vap, I see the same thing about Jeri's name and I wanted to check mine Bec Houzz did not used my character name but changed it to my email add. Hmm ? I hope they change it after months of sending emails last year. I am glad I am back and No...I am not going back there again .

    Well, it is good thing we all know where Jeri resides. Thank goodness for that :)

    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Stephanie and Jin, you will see the zone designation for Jeri if you access this forum from gardenweb.com but not if you access from houzz.com

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you marlorena. I was aware of that which is why i was so leery of putting something in that Profile space.