Software
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

How do I trim and support my large Ispahan?

7 years ago

I lost the before picts so I will describe the bush as I found it this spring after quite a few years of total neglect. On a slightly raised bed this bush stood about 7 feet tall at the entrance to my vegetable garden, an absolute thicket of canes. The arching canes, over 8 feet long, bent forward and down slightly. As it leafed out and grew, the bush bent over the walkway from the increasing weight. When it rained it was pretty much horizontal over the path. It would lift up a little as the leaves dried. By the time the flowers came Ispahan stayed horizontal over the walkway, face down, the inner canes touching the ground and reaching into my berry patch on the other side of the path. Everybody made an alternate path around the back of the bush through the bed.


I just let it be because to my mind to prune it would be to lose flowers. And so it stayed in this position for nearly 6 weeks blooming away. Nobody cut it up as I was around.


Finally I had to do something but I dont think I did the right thing. I have never pruned a rose of this kind and didn't know the right way. I lifted up the mass and cut away about two third-ish of the length of the canes. The canes underneath needless to say had turned yellow and buds were wet and glued shut. I took out several canes from the base that looked to be the oldest.

There are a whole bunch of laterals growing straight up from the lower end of the canes.

I am showing some pictures below. Lot of new canes are coming up. There are now 11 of the previous canes, quite thick ones. And inumerable new ones. The laterals are putting out side shoots.


So I have two questions.


Was this the best way to prune Ispahan? Or how does one do it for best flowering and health of the plant? How do I manage so many canes? Do I really have to cut off more canes?

This going prostrate over the walkway is going to happen again and the inner canes and blooms suffering is not good. How can I support this kind of large bush for optimal enjoyment of the blooms and some order in the garden?

I cant arrange it as a climber because of where it is. The canes are quite stiff so I dont think they can be pegged. Garden centers sell panels of metal trellises with some kind of filigree scrolls. But these are so light and so small they wouldn't work. Maybe something homemade like a very wide ladder? Attaching and spreading out the canes on the rungs?

Thanks for patiently reading this!

Comments (12)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago



    First I kind of cut the canes a scraggly 5 feet



    then wanting more neatness I cut them all between 3 and 4 feet


    So many laterals growing out of the canes. What to do with these? Now there are side shoots emerging from the laterals

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago



    front



    back



    so many canes new and old

  • 7 years ago

    I think it looks great. All you need is a pillar of some sort to tie the rose to so it won't flop over any more when it blooms. Mine is a leaner against a shrub. You could use a fence post driver to place a steel support next to the rose or a rebar pole.

    katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thank you for the visual. No help here, but I think I want this ros! ;0

  • 7 years ago

    I was wanting to trim mine back by a third. If you do a old thread search, olga, who used to post here goes into detail on pruning them. My dh said it was to beautiful to cut. So what I'm doing is taking some rebar and making a tripod, and putting the rear long canes on it, that are flexible, and leaving a few to arch out front and see how that does. Good luck with yours!

    katyajini thanked Alana8aSC
  • 7 years ago

    Sheila, that picture of Ispahan and your garden is the perfect dreamscape for my heart. I feel transported to some renaissance Tuscan estate. The blue skies, the plantings and the rose tumbling opulently in the center. I can just breath it in. Congratulations for creating something so beautiful and sharing with me (us). I am now going to go ahead and make a support as you describe in my quest to make my backyard beautiful and fragrant. :) And do you ever prune your Ispahan or just let it be?


    vapor: when I planted this rose I had no idea it gets so big. I didnt pay attention to such details. Only if there was super fragrance. If I knew I would have at least planted it further back. If you have a place for it you will love the tower of blooms and being enveloped with fragrance. I would recommend it.


    Alana: If you ever get to it I would love to see how you support your Ispahan. Same for me. (I am so glad I kept mine).


  • 7 years ago

    Is it very thorny?That would help with placement. Does it have a long bloom period?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thank you Katy. I have not pruned my Ispahan. The plants mostly do whatever they want here.

    katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    vapor: it does have some thorns but they are small and not menacing at all. Mine gets some shade and mostly afternoon sun and yet blooms profusely For me it blooms for at least 6 weeks. It puts on many many buds and they do not bloom all at once so you see flowers over a long time. But during the blooming period there are huge number of flowers at any given time. Even after 6 weeks there are a few buds left and you will see some more roses. And I seem to remember that even when the plant was young there was a long period of bloom and that it grew big very quickly. I mentioned this else where I had never watered it, fertilized it or pruned it; just did not know better at the time. Only beginning to take care of it now. Plus no BS or other fungal diseases whatsoever. Its a great rose.

  • 7 years ago

    Be careful not to overdo things. An established once bloomer should not need watering in a humid climate, and should be fertilized once a year, at most. Pruning to remove old/dead wood is the only regular maintenance they need.

    Understand that trying to keep this rose in bounds in that location is going to be a continual battle. Fairly heavy pruning, 4 times a year will keep it upright and a reasonable size. Otherwise, I'd seriously consider moving it somewhere you have space for a 6 x 6 ft shrub. Even that size will take some pruning to attain, but only twice a year.

    katyajini thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you gallica. Very good to know!