Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janinroch

Love it or loathe it?

JAN MOYER
4 years ago

Do you like or dislike the comment reversal order ( as of this morning )

Personally, I like, saves the scroll. Just as easy to backwards in thread. If you only want the most current "read"? Much nicer!

Comments (55)

• PN _Bos
    4 years ago

loathe it. I thought I hit something to make the order change & have been trying to figure out how to switch it back all morning. It's hard to follow a thread when you have to scroll to the bottom & read up.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I changed my mind I have just been on some dilemmas and if the poster sent pictures in a comment you now have to go searching until you find them so now I guess it sucks.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I guess I'm in a small club of two. : ) Why do you want to bypass all you may have read before?

• Storybook Home
    4 years ago

I love it! I use mobile and didn’t even bother with the 1000+ comment threads because it would take forever to scroll to the bottom before.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    4 years ago

Not sure what is going on, but it's horrendous.

Having a "narrative thread" is paramount to reading, storytelling and understanding, which appears to no longer exist.

• roccouple
    4 years ago

In theory I don’t care which order but with this reverse order there needs to be some indication that the newest comments are first. even just a header saying “latest comments”. So i think the idea is ok, the implementation is poor. Also it was rolled out without notice or any visual indication of a change.

I used to use the app and typing on my iPhone was near impossible. On the mobile site typing is very bad but somewhat Possible. you get a lot of random caps and strange auto correct however

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

Horrible. Why would they change it, it makes no sense to read the most current comment first!

• megs1030
    4 years ago

Not a fan.

• jslazart
    4 years ago

It just started going haywire on my PC. Maybe they enjoy when people just read the first comment and the last comment, don't bother skimming the thread, and then contribute something totally out of context? Not a fan.

As much as I enjoy this community and the knowledge available here, it is quite possibly the worst forum system I have ever used. And I'm counting the one I tried to code myself in middle school.

• Shell
    4 years ago

I've been trying to figure out how to change it back. I hate it.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Okay, thought I like the reversal at first..........Then I went to comment on the same thread....... I must scroll all the way down to comment....what a pain.

• jslazart
    4 years ago

Jan -- I agree that it's good to skip what you've read before. But most forums do that correctly. The posts are in order if you want to read through them, but it keeps track of what you've seen before and takes you down to where you left off in threads you've already looked at. It's not hard to do. Houzz needs to pay to license a functional system.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

LOATHE

• kmarissa03
    4 years ago

Agree with jslazart that there needs to be a way to automatically skip comments you’ve already read, like other forums do. I’m not a fan of the reverse order but I also hate scrolling all the way to the bottom each time there’s a new comment to read (or if you want to reply). Also, is there any way to follow a thread and get updates on comments without commenting yourself? Unless I’ve missed it, there doesn’t seem to be, which seems like another basic feature other forums generally have.

• Joe T.
    4 years ago

Loathe it.

Opening a new thread means going all the way to the bottom to read the comments, scrolling up after reading down, and then scrolling back to the bottom if you have a comment.

Pain, pain, pain, pain, pain, pain, pain, pain, pain!

• Helen
    4 years ago

Loathe it. Completely confusing - There should at least have been a way to shift it from most recent to earliest as some forums have.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

I believe this is the way it used to be if I can remember back to Garden Web.

Now if Houzz would please stop posts at 999. I'm tired of seeing comments run into 4,000+ so people can use the forum as their own personal direct messaging service.

• jslazart
    4 years ago

To add to the excitement, I've figured out that if I go to threads via gardenweb (e.g., https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5416425/church-pew-dilemma#n=570 ), the threads are in the right order. If I go to the same thread via houzz (e.g., https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5416425/church-pew-dilemma#n=570 ), they are backward.

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Loathe. No, LOATHE.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Discussions blossom and grow; reversing the "read" loses the development of the story, the new additional pix posted by the OP, and makes you scroll to the bottom anyway if you want to add your own comment. Houzz should stop playing around and get serious about this website's high potential; I don't think the developers know one thing about design, home making/building or anything but silly tricks to frustrate participants.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

I like it... It will just take a little getting used to....

• chloebud
    4 years ago

"...and makes you scroll to the bottom anyway if you want to add your own comment. "

Good point from deco. At first I just thought it was a glitch but suppose we'll get used to it. Who knows...by then they might change it back.

• wantsideas
    4 years ago

Not a fan.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Would be great (to not have to scroll to bottom) IF the "new comment" box was at the top as well. Maybe that's phase 2

• sheepla
    4 years ago

What does it say about me that I didn't even notice the change?

• User
    4 years ago

I think that people will read the OP post and then immediately go to the bottom and post their comments without reading the already posted comments. Otherwise: (1) open post, (2) go down to bottom of page, (3) start reading upwards, (4) get to last post which is at top of page, (5) go again to bottom of page, and then finally (6) post their comments.

So there will be many redundant suggestions since people won't read the already posted comments.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

It is already a fail! Newbies will really be confused and the progressive resolution of the dilemma will be entirely lost; redundancy is least of the issues this will cause. Anyone have other sites to recommend that work well and give participants an interactive format? I'm just about ready to migrate.

• Shell
    4 years ago

I also notice that currently I'm not able to send a note to houzz support. The topic dropdown isn't working, which is a required field. I wonder if they disabled it as I'm sure a ton of people are complaining.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Maybe just email directly to emily@houzz.com and complain.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

Odd - when I go to the Garden web and go into categories there the comments are in order from oldest first - they haven't changed there.. talk about confusing!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is hilarious. I guess nobody at Houzz even noticed my post ......................it's SUMMER?!

• kulrn
    4 years ago

A no for me! I also don't like the notification changes either. I liked getting only the ones I commented on, not every comment from every one I follow....

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is such an easy!!!! FIX!

The add comment box appears at the top of the page. Your VIEW of the comments should be a "selectable"with a simple option " most recent first" or "oldest first"

Every online news paper had this option for ovrr a decade. NY Times, Washington Post. etc.

And no offense........absolutely a cut off at 900 comments. If you haven't resolved it by then? Take it off line and chat among yourselves, or start a new thread. ..........3500 and 7000 plus? Four year old posts? No. The same questions may indeed appear over and over again. But everyone thinks theirs is unique. So the argument that someone else may read that thread, answer their own question? Mmmmm actually not all that valid.

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

It's making me nuts, especially trying to read a thread with quite a few comments, like this one, effectively "backwards."

• HoJo1
    4 years ago

Truly annoying way to display the messages. I don't like it. Lots of message boards give a choice of how to display: oldest first, newest first, most liked, etc.

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

Loathe. I like to read through the advice already given before daring to offer my own opinion. And it doesn't seem to like my attempts to edit the typos out of an earlier comment. Hrmmph.

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

I am so glad you posted about this change, because I was wondering why all of the sudden the display was sooo different. Perhaps many users will complain and Houzz will change it back, or (better) somehow provide users the option to chose first-first or last-first. I sure hope so!

• Kimberly Shackelford
    4 years ago

I'm so glad you posted this! This newbie was seriously confused

• lizziesma
    4 years ago

Good grief, love the posters and “advisors” on this site but finding my around just gets silly! Can we all meet somewhere else?

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Apparently this change is on different devices. I’m on the app and I haven’t noticed any changes.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I loathe it. In fact, I sent a comment about it to Houzz yesterday. I hate it so much, it made me consider leaving Houzz forever. I think it was a glitch, but it appears to have been corrected within the last hour or so.

The worst part is you had to scroll to the bottom to comment, then the comment would appear at the bottom, but wouldn't appear at the top till you refreshed the page.

As for those threads that have 1000 comments (or even 100), if I haven't been involved since the beginning, I just stroll on by.

• J J
    4 years ago

Please don't leave Grover!

• einportlandor
    4 years ago

Awful.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Not a fan. Also,

BeverlyFLADeziner is right about those comments numbering in the thousands -- they usually seem to go way off topic from the original post issue.

• Jora
    4 years ago

Discovered it yesterday. HATE IT. Today, it's back to normal!

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

YAY!! It's back to the way it was!

• User
    4 years ago

was it an intentional change or a bug? if it was intentional, it was a weird choice, considering that's opposite every other message board I've ever seen.

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

I don't get the hate for the long chat threads. They fill a need for the participants, and the rest if us can just stroll on by. It's not like we're forced to read those, or any other threads. I know I skip the vast majority of threads so it's not exactly laborious to skip those as well.

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

Seems like an intentional change would have been announced somehow, either beforehand or afterwards.