Software
Houzz Logo Print
meg81611

Chandelier worth the cost?

7 years ago



These are not the most amazing photos but its all I have.... This will be our master in a rental. The design we have calls for a chandelier. I love the idea of a chandelier, and I do think it adds a lot to the room, but is the cost worth it? We would have to move wires around and fix the ceiling (which we are repainting anyway so now would be the time).


In your opinions, is the cost of installing a chandelier worth it? This is a rental and if a chandelier would make the photos "pop" in your opinions, then I think its worth it. The rental is in the Aspen/Snowmass area and will be a moderately priced rental ($300-400/nt in the winter) if that makes a difference.


(The furniture is not staying in the room - just how its set up for our current tenants)





Comments (35)

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I think without seeing the furniture that is going into the space there is no way of knowing if a chandeleir even makes sense. So get some pics of your ideas for the room before making the decision. The layout of the bedroom will also have some effect on whether it makes sense to have a chandeleir, as for cost that also is impossible to say since the room right now has no personality at all . What do the other rentals in your price range have in those bedrooms. Really to vague a question to answer without more info.

    Meg P thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 7 years ago

    If I had a house I want to rent out, I would not put a chandelier in the bedroom. Too specific.

    Meg P thanked houssaon
  • 7 years ago

    Patricia Colwell Consulting Other rentals are sort of blah and they do not have chandeliers for the most part. We have hired a designer and her design does call for a chandelier, which I love, but I am not sure it is necessary.... It will be a really big expense and I am not sure from a design perspective if its something that is 100% necessary to bring a room to life or if that will make photos pop. My condos success in the first year is 100% based on photos. (Unfortunately I cannot share the actual design but its a queen platform bed with a cream fabric headboard, gold chandelier and gold table lamps, ceiling the same color as the wall and white crown molding)

  • 7 years ago

    Against a chandelier:

    "a really big expense"

    From a practicality standpoint, wall sconces or table lamps next to the bed are preferable.


    My advice is to look at wall sconces; probably less expensive and also impactful.


    Check out boutique hotel bedrooms.



    Meg P thanked nosoccermom
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    It looks like a nice, but relatively small and "average" bedroom (that's not a bad thing - just saying it's not "over the top" design-wise). I don't think a chandelier would add significant value to this space, and if it were mine, I wouldn't bother with the effort and expense. I've rented a lot of properties in my travels -- just recently booked a house in Colorado for the summer of 2020 -- and what appeals to me most of all is cleanliness, modern/newish fixtures, simplicity, and thoughtful artistic touches. I wouldn't necessarily look at a photo of a bedroom and think, "Oh, hey! A chandelier -- yay!" I'd much rather see high-end bedding, a beautiful rug, and a large piece of original artwork on the wall.

    Also, I go to places like Colorado for the outdoor activities and prefer a high-end but slightly rustic decor. Cliche? Perhaps. But it fits the location and the things I enjoy doing and seeing when I'm in that part of the country. To me, a chandelier would seem a bit incongruous, as would anything overly "glam" or glitzy.

    Meg P thanked User
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    So IMO a cream fabric headboard in a rental is a very bad idea for starters I have no idea if a picture with a chandeleir will have any real effect on someone looking for a rental. Is this a short term rental or is it someones home for long term? I still say without seeing all the elements in the space or at least pictures of them there is no way to answer the question.To me right now this does not even look like the master bedroom so if it is not then no chandeleir. There are many ways to bring a space to life other than spending money on extra lighting in a bedroom . Is this a rental where you supply all the bedding, dishes etc or do your renters bring all of that. We really need a lot more info .Sorry reread the post and this is like a hotel so you supply everything I honestly do not think a chandeleir will have any effect on renting or not. I think I would like to see the entire apartment or house before I could make any other suggestions . Right now that bedroom would turn me off completely .

  • 7 years ago

    houssaon The design we have calls for a gold chandelier. I am not sure how much it adds to the room in photos. All I care about is the photos this first year.

  • 7 years ago

    No. It's a rental. Keep it simple. Good, bright lighting is what is required. Renters will not take care of or value your efforts.

    Plan and furnish as if it were a hotel room or suite with an eye towards practicality and purpose. This doesn't mean ugly, just items that will wear well and are useful.

    Meg P thanked homechef59
  • 7 years ago

    Patricia Colwell Consulting Right now we are renting it out as employee housing. Its bare bones bc its rented to college students. In the winter we will rent as a weekly rental as a ski in/out in Aspen, CO. We have hired designers to design the whole place but we are not installing any of the designs until after the college students move out (for obvious reasons). I have attached a photo of the living room as well - this is also going to be completely done over but not until the college students move out. None of the current living room furniture is staying.

    We are in direct competition with all the other 2 bed/2 bath with the same floor plan. We have hired designers because it needs to stand out among the other rentals. These places rent out, depending on the time of the season, between $300-$900 a night. We supply everything - we have a linen service but everything else we supply. I am trying to attract the clientele that will pay $900 a night over the holidays. Thats why I am so focused on little details. If a chandelier adds value, I am fine spending the money. If not, then I am fine leaving it out. I have attached the light fixture (chandelier may be the wrong word) that we will use.


  • 7 years ago

    decoenthusiaste Thanks! We are actually petitioning the HOA to let us add a private deck off the back (nothing I can really do about landscaping). We do have a deck of the living room but it will add value to put one off the bedrooms. The bedrooms are equal size - 12" by 12". There are 2 bedrooms and one is a bunk room and the other we will use as a master (we will do a higher end bathroom remodel in the master eventually). The bunks are split between the two rooms at the moment because we have rented to a major hotel chain for employee housing - this will change in the winter.


    The items you mentioned in the bedroom are all part of the design. We have spent quite a bit on amazing bedding (better than what we have) and the room will look nice once we install everything for the winter. We have also added a fold down desk and a slim arm chair for a work space (sadly, this is probably necessary). I have an artist friend doing the artwork which I think will add a very nice touch. The lighting is just the very last detail....

  • 7 years ago

    GreenDesigns Why do you assume its cheap? Nothing about this place is cheap.... Do you think $900 a night in a rental is cheap? If so, good for you. I am trying to take care of every detail for the guests who stay in my home because I care about their experience. I also care about making my home, which i spent more than half a million on, and then am dumping another $100k into (which I think is not cheap for 900 sq ft.) as perfect as possible. So you may think that chandeliers are pretentious, but, so am I. :)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Just disregard GreenDesigns, who seems incapable of commenting in these forums without insulting people. Seriously - disregard. We have a handful of "pros" here who never fail to deliver their advice/suggestions with a healthy dose of what they apparently consider to be forthrightness, but it comes across to every other sentient being as utter rudeness. It's unfortunate.

    Meg P thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    IdaClaire I just went to his company profile and chuckled :) Thank you.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago


    IdaClaire I just read your comment. I agree - the design is clean, simple, has original artwork, functional, new..... chandelier may not be accurate. It is a light fixture from the ceiling (photo attached). I love the design, it will look great once its done (college students in there now so not doing anything until they leave). I just do not know if a light fixture is worth the $1-2k I will have to pay to re-wire. It will help with the brightness in the room as well. I am just very detail oriented and I want all details, that add value, to be perfect.

  • 7 years ago

    Actually, I DO like that fixture very much. When I thought “chandelier”, I immediately envisioned one of those fancy things dripping with crystals, but clearly that’s not what you have in mind. I might, therefore, revise my opinion and say that if you can SPARE the $$ for the installation, then why not. It’s certainly not going to detract from the room in any way, and I think it will say that you pay attention to the details. This should just be one more detail in a long line of many that make your place appealing – meaning, don’t skimp on anything in order to add the light. :-)

    Meg P thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Sounds like you really want the chandelier. Adding the electrical wiring to create an overhead light is worth the money in the long run. If you need to replace the chandelier once every five years or so to keep it fashionable, then that's a cost of doing this kind of business, as you know from running the rentals successfully already.


    There are lots of blogs on how to create a great impression with professional photos for rentals. The Netflix show "Stay Here" is entertaining and fun with its over the top rentals and outstanding photographer.

  • 7 years ago

    apple_pie_order Its more of a light fixture than a chandelier. I love "Stay Here" The reason my peloton is staying in my house and not the rental :) I want slightly over the top but nothing crazy.


    100% on the professional photographer. My property manager requires it!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I rent vacation properties quite often and, honestly, a light fixture like that would be neither a dealbreaker nor an inspiration for me to rent the home. I'm thinking the 1-2 thousand could probably be better spent on the overall appearance of the spaces. Speaking of that, I see condensation on the patio door. Is it possible you have a broken seal there? It's not a good look, and that alone would make me question the overall maintenance of a rental. I'm not trying to be overly critical, just giving you a possibly valuable first impression.

  • 7 years ago

    Does it have to be that chandelier? You could probably get a similar look for much less.


    Also...please. No fabric headboards in a rental...

  • 7 years ago

    jay06 I have no idea about the door. It was snowing the day I took the photo. If the door has an issue the HOA would take care of it so I will look into it! Thank you for pointing it out. I just got a quote for $800 to install and wire so thats a lot more reasonable than anticipated. We are spending a ton on the renovation and design. It was just one detail I was not 100% sure was necessary but for $800 it will probably improve the lighting in the room anyway.

  • 7 years ago

    pennydesign No, does not have to be that exact one but I am not opposed to spending $ on things. I am considering a ceiling fan as well which may actually add value. This is a rental but we spend time there as well and given we live full time in military housing, I am okay with going a bit overboard to make it nice.


    I see your point with a fabric headboard but I just love them and I love what my designer put together using that type of headboard. I am aware that I may need to replace every year or so.....



  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    OK, I think a ceiling fan would be a far better choice -- and you can find some VERY pretty ones these days. Pretty and practical! I know it can get warm at times in CO, and even on chillier nights, some people (like me!) enjoy the cool air of a fan blowing from above while they snuggle under the nice, warm covers.

    I would go for something a bit unusual (not just the standard-issue ceiling fan).



    https://www.lampsplus.com/products/52-inch-matthews-irene-3-blade-walnut-bronze-hugger-ceiling-fan__7c843.html



    https://www.lampsplus.com/products/60-inch-monte-carlo-maverick-matte-black-ceiling-fan__22t56.html



    https://www.lampsplus.com/products/52-inch-minka-aire-light-wave-distressed-koa-ceiling-fan__4n706.html


    Personally, I love the 3-blade fans. Just installed a big metal 3-blader that looks like a propeller on my covered patio.

    Meg P thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    IdaClaire those are awesome. If I can put more lighting in the room then I would do a fan with no lighting. Those are so cool.

  • 7 years ago

    There are some beautiful flush-mount fixtures that will not tempt people to hang clothes hangers from them. A good quality fan with a light is another way to not tempt them.

  • 7 years ago

    Here's a pretty look if you want to add some storage and lighting where you already have cans above. You could tap into those and bring the electric down to the built-in. Maybe could be done with less expensive IKEA installations.


    Bedroom Suite, Birthday Surprise! · More Info



    Meg P thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 7 years ago

    A fabric headboard would keep me from renting. I don’t know the previous guests and there is the issue of cleanliness. I also have allergies and depend on the washing of bed linens to minimize pollens, etc. There is no way I would trust fabric headboards at a rental.

  • 7 years ago

    The fabric is on the wall above the "headboard" but could simply be painted. This inspopic is meant to inspire, not dictate.

    Meg P thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 7 years ago

    I would think an overhead light of some kind would be necessary and I think a really striking overhead light adds to the gestalt of the photo. So while someone isn't actively focusing on gee I will rent that place because of the chandelier, I do think that it will make it come together. I am just finishing a remodel of my home with the help of a designer and it is absolutely true that it is these kinds of "touches" that pull the room together which a talented designer brings to the party. Ironically my bedroom chandelier was just installed and when my friend came over who has seen my remodel in various stages, she remarked how the chandelier pulled together all the other design elements.


    I do agree that a cream fabric headboard might not be ideal but perhaps something in a material that is more cleanable like leather might still give the look but lower maintenance.


    I do think that sconces are a great addition and I would add that remote controlled shades as well might be a selling point. If possible you might install smart bulbs in the sconces and then have your "smart home" Wifi system used as part of the promotional material. When I am in bed, it's nice to be able to control the lights without having to get up and then down again.

    Meg P thanked Helen
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Townhouse landlord and sometime AirBNB customer:

    • Chandelier: no
    • Fan with light: yes
    • Wifi: yes
    • Blackout shades/curtains/drapes: YES
    • Efficient, quiet heat and AC: YES
    • Smart-home stuff: NO
    • Remote-controlled shades: NO

    KISS!

    Meg P thanked wdccruise
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I'd have no qualms about renting a home with fabric headboards. I wouldn't find that any more skeeve-worthy than a fabric sofa or chair or a rug or throw pillows. And really, people who pay several hundred dollars nightly to rent a property are quite likely to treat the home as they would their own, and that is in a respectful manner. (Actually, we are probably MORE careful when renting a holiday home, as we don't want to have to pay for anything that was inadvertently damaged! We leave the homes we rent every bit as clean as -- and sometimes cleaner than -- we found them. I don't think that's unusual behavior.) I do not, however, think that same level of respect necessarily extends to high-end hotel rooms, because they are by their very nature entirely impersonal. Most people tend to place greater value on renting someone's HOME, even if it's only ever used as a holiday rental.


    Anyway - back to the fabric headboard: I agree that leather might be a nice choice and would be in keeping with what one would expect to find in a Colorado home.

    Meg P thanked User
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Take your lead from what hotels provide that makes cleaning and maintenance easy & support guests needs.




  • 7 years ago

    BeverlyFLADeziner Thanks! We have already paid a designer a good amount but what you say makes sense. We do have professional cleaners after each rental and I do have a property management company that is full service to make sure my guest needs are being met. I am hands off after I decide on the lighting.

  • 7 years ago

    IdaClaire I think leather is fine and I can probably find it in the same style as the fabric. I am def not married to the fabric - just the look!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I'm glad you might change your mind about the headboard.

    It's not so much about how WE treat the homes we stay in, but rather how we think others might...

    And yes. Bedroom activity is usually different than living room activity, so the comparison doesn't really fly with me.

    I know there are no hard and fast rules, merely our own quirks :) But I've learned a lot from staying in air b n b's...


    Agree with treating it like a hotel. If it looks easy to clean (and that doesn't necessarily mean ugly, here) then I will be more comfortable in it.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!