Software
Houzz Logo Print
jchiariello21

Where to put microwave

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi everyone. So, final call... before I order my Viking stainless steel appliances. Is it better to keep the microwave over the range, or put a hood under the cabinet above the range and a microwave on the counter to the left of the fridge? The counters and a full height backsplash will all be quartz.











Comments (28)

  • 7 years ago

    Hood, absolutely. The exhaust fans on OTR microwaves are terribly ineffective.

    Jennifer O thanked apple_pie_order
  • 7 years ago

    Make sure you understand the venting/makeup air requirements for a powerful gas range like a Viking.

    Jennifer O thanked Tootsie
  • 7 years ago

    Also confirm that you actually want Viking appliances - they're not known for being the best in that price range....

    Jennifer O thanked wiscokid
  • 7 years ago

    We struggled mightily with where to put the microwave and ended up finding a small one that still has 1,000 watts of power that will fit inside an appliance pantry to the left of our wall ovens. We haven't put it in yet, but it was the best option for us. We have limited counter space and really didn't want it there. I agree with those who have said hood over range vs MW hood. Good luck!

    Jennifer O thanked kellie_dyslin
  • 7 years ago

    Note that Viking appliances are dead last ("poor") in Consumer Reports predicted reliability analysis with the exception of the gas cooktop which is "fair". https://www.consumerreports.org/join ($8/month digital)

    Jennifer O thanked wdccruise
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I agree that finding a place to put it in a cabinet would be ideal here. consider a drawer style microwave if you can't sacrifice a shelf.

    I'm super curious though - is it still really true that microwave vents are that terrible, or is that old information? I get that you'd want to avoid the ones that recirculate the air, but what about microwave / hood combos that vent outside?

    Jennifer O thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    I would not order Viking appliances. Even the salesman in the store where I was looking told me not to even though he would have gotten a larger commission. They are considered the worst. You'd be better off with a Maytag.

    There are so many better brands even for less money.


    Jennifer O thanked cpartist
  • 7 years ago

    Current microwave exhaust fans that are vented outside are just as bad as those of ten years ago.

    Jennifer O thanked apple_pie_order
  • 7 years ago

    I bought a $35 ,18 inch wide microwave, from Walmart. It is going in the pantry. If it doesn't work out, I can put it on the counter or toss it. LOL. For us, it will be a coffee, leftover warmer and an occasional spaghetti squash cooker. So, not worth much fuss, to us.

    Jennifer O thanked Caroline H
  • 7 years ago

    The shallow GE PEM31 can be hung underneath a cabinet.

    Jennifer O thanked wdccruise
  • 7 years ago

    Watch out for proper ventilation if you put the microwave in a closet. I prefer a small one on the counter. They're inexpensive and easy to replace.

    Jennifer O thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    I went with a drama wet microwave and we don’t like it. I have a Kitchenaid. It doesn’t rotate the food. I also have a Viking gas stove and the builder told me that it gets so hot, microwave above melts!

    Jennifer O thanked Bess04
  • 7 years ago

    Drawer

    Jennifer O thanked Bess04
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Mine's on my counter. Cost me $70 and no hassle.

    BUT, if you don't have the counter space to spare, or if you consider minor appliances to be clutter, there are options.

    Drawer MW are the most expensive as a rule. They also require leaning over (which for me at my height I don't want to do a lot of). But owners usually love them. I'm not sure they all come in standard sizes, so you have to look into that - come the inevitable replacement day.

    Don't go over the range. Inefficient. In my case, I certainly didn't want to drop a re-heated dish (and I try NOT to MW plastic dishes or mugs) on my glass top induction range!

    Some will attach under a cabinet somewhere, or put IN a cabinet (with appropriate ventilation). Or, a dedicated shelf. Or in an appliance pantry. Or in the pantry proper, if you have one.

    How often do you use yours? And for what things? Will it be adults or children as frequent users? This will help you determine geographic location in the kitchen. Mine is mostly to re-heat coffee the second day (yes, some will shudder at that thought!) or to heat up water to make tea for myself. My tea kettle is for company. Occasionally I'll nuke leftovers, but I prefer the toaster oven for that. If you do a lot of re-heating of refrigerated goods, near the fridge is a good location. Since for me this is more of the job of the toaster oven, it is THAT appliance that is closer to the fridge.



    Jennifer O thanked artemis_ma
  • 7 years ago

    I have a microwave drawer installed under my wall oven. It has a tilt up control panel so there is no stooping and bending. Is that tall pantry next to the refrigerator wide enough for one because that would seem ideal.


    I don't have a large kitchen but I configured it so that I fit a wall oven with microwave drawer and Bosch induction cooktop - gas was not an option for me but I actually am happier with induction than gas so I don't feel deprived.


    It would seem incongruent to me to have a high end Viking range with an OTR hood as I assume one is getting that kind of cooking appliance because one does heavy duty cooking. I have also read that Viking appliances are not good and one can do far better with other choices - especially in the "premium" line.

    Jennifer O thanked Helen
  • 7 years ago

    Be careful about putting quartz behind a high powered gas cooktop. There have been issues reported of quartz scorching from the high heat.

    Jennifer O thanked weedmeister
  • 7 years ago

    You have a lot of counter space to the left of your sink, as you are facing it. You could move the microwave there.

    We had a cabinet built for ours. It is not permanent and can be moved at any time. I had a pull out shelf so I can take stuff out of microwave, stir it and put it back.


    kathi_steele's ideas · More Info


    kathi_steele's ideas · More Info


    Jennifer O thanked Kathi Steele
  • 7 years ago

    Also, some Vikings are high output and require a stainless backguard to prevent fires. Please research your range and see if a back guard is required.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you so much, everyone! I really appreciate the help!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    unless you are installing an induction cooktop you will need a range hood that pulls 700 to 900 cfms at minimum. Viking gas cooking has 18000btu burners. A micro range hood will do nothing for you.

    Jennifer O thanked stephen_alessi56
  • 7 years ago

    Your kitchen is tight for space, which argues for an over-the-range hood (vented to the outside). But if you're doing an overpowered "professional" range, you're going to require a hood, no options, and possibly more than that...

    Jennifer O thanked acm
  • 7 years ago

    Read this entire discussion with a fine-toothed comb. Your initial proposed design made a surprisingly large number of common poor decisions. If there was an FAQ, your post would hit every single item.


    Nonetheless, everybody very politely pointed out where you can improve things or even avoid expensive mistakes that you'd regret down the line.


    Since everybody was so polite (damn, I miss Sophie with her signature bluntness), it might not be obvious how important these suggestions are.

  • 7 years ago

    Unless your microwave is built into a hood unit and intended to withstand the heat from the stove, you probably shouldn't put it over the stove -- can decrease its lifespan. It will take up a lot of prep space between stove and refrigerator.


    You might be better served if you consider putting it on the counter nearer the peninsula which will likely end up being the serving counter anyway or, if your cabinets aren't ordered/built yet, perhaps in the overhead cabinets near that peninsula.


    Seriously consider going with a practical stove rather than an overpriced "professional" one.


    Agree with M -- read all the posts and do some checking before making any expensive mistakes.

    Jennifer O thanked suezbell
  • 7 years ago

    The new Viking Appliances are amazing. Consumer Reports and other ranking entities do not test appliances the same way they test cars. For appliances they select one item from each category (dishwasher, range, fridge, hood etc) and put it through minor testing and then make a decision on Quality for the Brand.

    I work for a company that has its own Service Department and Whirlpool/Maytag/KitchenAid are the worst for repairs at 14% repair rate. Viking is under 3% repair rate. Congrats on your new Kitchen!

    Jennifer O thanked Christopher Hunsinger
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, Chris! I’m going to use Viking!


    I actually called Viking, my quartz place and talked to the salesperson & Viking rep at the appliance store after all these comments. I looked at CFMs and decibels, etc. and the Viking microwave I selected is meant for being over my 30’‘ Viking range and will vent just fine (it will also be on an outside wall in my kitchen with my vent going directly out).

    I appreciate everyone’s help and warnings. Definitely better safe than sorry. But the most practical placement and function will be above my range afterall.

  • 7 years ago

    Yeah, I have a tight kitchen too, and much as I'd have loved a chic stainless chimney hood, it was OTR microwave for me. At least the venting works (to judge from the cooking smells outside), and we found our glamor elsewhere.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    "Consumer Reports and other ranking entities do not test appliances the same way they test cars. For appliances they select one item from each category (dishwasher, range, fridge, hood etc) and put it through minor testing and then make a decision on Quality for the Brand."

    All false. There are ratings of the attributes of the appliance, (e.g., baking, broiling for ranges, washing, energy use for dishwashers) and there are predicted reliability of appliance categories (e.g., gas, electric, pro-type for ranges) based upon surveys of CR subscribers. CR also does not "select one item from each category". For example, it tested nine Bosch dishwasher models.

    You might actually read the magazine/website before commenting. CR doesn't even test range hoods.

    Viking predicted reliability ratings:

    • Built-in refrigerators: poor
    • Dishwashers: poor
    • Pro-style ranges: poor
    • Electric wall ovens: poor
    • Gas cooktops: fair