Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kali_deere

What is your "shopping list" this year?

kali_deere
4 years ago

I'm at the point in the summer where things are beginning to wind down a bit (we have very short seasons in Massachusetts). So I'm of course starting to organize all the projects I want to complete for next year. I also started my 'wish list' for plants, since my gardens are still really new and lacking defined structure.

Here's my list of plants I intend on ordering for my own Christmas gifts haha:

"Really Wants":

Lavalamp MoonRock Hydrangea

Red Delicious Apple Tree

Beautyberry

Pee Gee Hydrangea

Sweet Mockorange

Castle Wall Holly (M)

Castle Spire Holly (F)

Old Fashioned Weigela

Green Giant Arborvitae

Korean Boxwood

Youngstown Juniper

"Maybe Wants":

Blue Hydrangea

Forsythia

Holly Berry Heavy Winterberry

Orange Azaleas Mollis Hybrid

Foster's #2 Holly

Pieris

Mountain Laurel

Common Boxwood

Sweet shrub

Pussy Willow

Emerald Arborvitae

Nanking Cherry

Most of these I would buy from Arbor Day Foundation for very cheap and just let them grow into place over time (also a lot of these tend to have faster growth rates - yay!)

What are your wish lists for next year?

Comments (16)

• mazerolm_3a
    4 years ago

That’s a lot of plants!!

I still have a lot of work to do with my existing plants this year (moving stuff around) so I haven’t really thought yet of what I’ll buy next year, but there is one plant that I really want and haven’t been able to find: oriental poppy Princess Victoria Louise. I ended up ordering seeds last weekend but I’m really rotten at starting from seeds... We’ll see how that goes.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    4 years ago

That's a lot of plants.... and they're all shrubs so even more $$

Have you ever considered giving cuttings a try? Hydrangea and boxwood are fairly easy and depending on where you're located you can sometimes ask at arboretums if a few cuttings are ok, or I'm sure your neighbors and friends can help you out.

10 years in and I'm starting to notice some of the tiny twigs and potbound mailorders are really beginning to look like something, and I'm even converting a few sunny borders to shade!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    4 years ago

Kali, I pretty well love everything about hydrangea 'Lavalamp Moonrock'! Blooms are so nice and full and have heavy substance and turn from limey green to white and then to beautiful antique shades as they age and finish out the season. Flowers are held upright on reddish colored stems and set against really great looking semi glossy foliage.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    4 years ago

What isn't on my list... LOL! Or should I say wasn't...bought a lot of stuff this year. I would like more trees for privacy, and some taller zebra grass to screen a particular area of my patio that is visible from down by the road. I put some "Little Zebra" there that I had, which is a great cultivar but not tall enough for screening from a distance -- I need the really tall variety. Big pots are really $$ though, so I'm going to keep my eye out for sales in the fall, or maybe hold off until next spring.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Kali, I would seriously find somewhere that sells small rooted cuttings other than Arbor Day if possible. Their quality is hit or miss.

Check out sales, learn how to root your own cutting or add fewer, better quality plants over time.

• kali_deere
    Original Author
    4 years ago

mazerolm - i hope those seeds work out for you - I am also horrible at starting things from seed...like really really horrible haha. I got a couple cosmos and sweet peas to come up after dumping a ton of seeds and it was quite the accomplishment.

katob - I would try that but I don't really know where to get cuttings and don't know many people around me. My town is kind of funny, it's very safe and "white bread uppity" but I don't really know anyone, they're generally a bit standoffish and cult-ish haha.

forzebudd - i am so glad to hear that because I considered not wanting to get it! But knowing this info I definitely will.

mxk3 - I love zebra grass, I have two of my own and they are gorgeous, only in their second year and already out performing the fountain grass. I know HD tends to put things on sale in September (at least in Massachusetts)

NHBabs - is it really that bad? I'm looking to get a bunch of evergreens particularly so that I can set those bones in the garden, right now things look great but I think the evergreens will really bring it to the next level. I am so hesitant to try more expensive nurseries - do you generally have good luck with them?

• D C
    4 years ago

I've spent literally thousands on plants the last 4 summers (new home) but I still have a list for next year:

For bordering the woods:

Tuff Stuff A-Ha hydrangea

Lobelia Siphilicata

Eupatorium Gateway

Verbena Novaboracencis

Goldenrod

For retaining wall bed and to finish the cottage garden:

Geranium Purple Who

Trifolium Rubens

Potentilla Ron MacBeath

Campanula Purple Sensation

Aquilegia Clemintine Red

Papaver orientalis Princess Victoria Louise

Whew!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

mxk3 - hold off until spring for the larger zebra grass. Miscanthus is a warm season grass and growth is most active in late spring through early-mid summer. Fall is about the worst time to plant - even in my climate - as the roots are inactive/dormant and the plant just will not "take" or establish during the winter. Fall plantings seldom survive, let alone thrive.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    4 years ago

^^ Good to know, thanks for the heads up. Could I buy in the fall and over-winter in the barn for plant-out in the spring? Would like to take advantage of super-duper clearance if I can.

Also, do these tend to get taller over time? I can't figure out why some of the ones I have are only about hip height, while other ones are quite tall, unless they were mis-labeled and are one of the dwarf cultivars. But even "Porcupine" should be at least 4-5' tall.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Bandwidth, Little NIcky and LIttle Zebra should stay small....about 3'. But the other horizontally striped forms - Strictus (Porcupine) and Zebrinus, etc. - should get pretty big. 5-7' or taller, depending on location and growing conditions.

And as experienced as you are in wintering over containers, I think the barn could be a safe bet for late season bargains :-).

Alas, none of those for me :-( Few nurseries here have any end of season sales....except for annuals. Actually, most places don't have many sales at all except for distressed plants. One of the drawbacks of a year round gardening climate.

• linlily
    4 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has posted about Santa Rosa from Florida no longer selling single pot perennials. I have been ordering from them for a few years and have been pretty happy with the selection and price. Now they are only selling plugs and liners. I was so surprised when they sent me info and said they are changing. Bluestone is very expensive but have a good selection.

I agree that cuttings and seeds might be the way to go to save money. Starting cuttings in the spring, when they are most apt to root would help. Seeds can be tricky. It's a lot more than just putting them in some dirt and watering them. You need to check to see if they require a cold period to break dormancy. Putting those in the refrigerator crisper helps with that, Many require you soak them or file off the end. Some need buried about a quarter of any inch while others will only sprout if on the surfact of the soil where they can get light. And some perrenials work well with winter sowing. I have an old Park Seed Catalog that I keep that gives info on seeds and their requirements depending on the variety.

• D C
    4 years ago

linlily - I ordered several items from Santa Rosa this year; some things performed well and some not so I decided to stop ordering from them when they emailed to tell me what I ordered was no longer in stock a week later. Their prices were great but not if the items don't perform and if they are going to list and charge me for items they don't have. I did notice recently they did not have single pots listed but I thought maybe that was due to the time of year.

Bluestone is expensive and again some stuff does well some not. I like their selection but not the pots the plants come in. They hold way too much moisture and I have noticed that makes the plants grow veeeerrrryyyy slowly. I just dug some up that had been in the ground for over a year and not really growing. I removed those coconut liner pots and replanted the plants and now they are doing much better.

Most local nurseries in my area are starting to carry a much wider variety so I don't think I'll need to order so much online anymore.

• linlily
    4 years ago

Unfortunately, the one private nursery in my area is VERY expensive. None of the perennials are in small pots, only large containers, so the price is high. The one box store here seems to be about the same. I'd love to be able to buy starter size perennials, especially if I don't know if the plant will thrive or die! I just hated to see Santa Rosa go to plugs and liners.

• kali_deere
    Original Author
    4 years ago

linlily thanks for the suggestions!!
    I tend to be horrible with cuttings and seeds haha, not sure why it just never works out well for me but maybe it's time I try again.

Do people have a favorite online nursery for buying mature shrubs ? I'm very hesitant to spend big bucks without knowing if the seller is decent or if their customer service is helpful haha

• D C
    4 years ago

kali_deere - I have bought shrubs from Sooner Plant farm and they have worked great. Also from Woody's Garden Goods Direct. Both online retailers have large pots available and I have had no issues.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH