Software
Houzz Logo Print
lori_bourassa

stove placement - up to code?

7 years ago

We live in a 1930s craftsman home that was renovated in the 1990s. Some of the updates are a bit odd, including the placement of the stove in the kitchen. We’d like to update our kitchen and we’re hoping we can keep the existing layout and just replace the counters and appliances and refinish the cabinets. We are concerned about the placement of the stove - it’s right next to the wall. Is this placement up to code? We’re up for simple layout changes but don’t think we can easily move the stove to another location in the kitchen. We’d appreciate any insight/suggestions before we invest in upgrades. Thank you!

Comments (13)

  • 7 years ago

    1. Many codes require minimum clearance above the stove, but surprisingly allow zero clearance on the sides. However, whether your situation is up to code or not depends on what your local permitting authority says.

    2. Even if what you have is code compliant, it would be advisable at a minimum to have some type of heat shield against that wall.

    3. From an ergonomics/use standpoint, the stove placement you have is terrible and would be a real deterrent to future potential buyers, as well as limiting the ease of cooking and pot placement that you have. I can see from your photos that you don't have a lot of flexibility, but I encourage you to do a more significant remodel than what you have described so you can get that stove into a safer and more functional location...even if it's moved only 6" over. To me it seems a waste to put money into a facelift, when you would get a much better result if you took on this design problem and spent a bit more now.

  • 7 years ago

    Gosh, I don't know. I guess the stove placement isn't ideal. But i really like your counters and cabinets! If that were my kitchen, I don't think I'd change anything. But as the French say, à chacun son goût.

  • 7 years ago

    Its a truly terrible layout, no matter what. But consumer grade electric rages often do allow 0” for side clearance. It can still scorch the wall, and I wouldn’t do it.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Is it up to code? Probably. Is it a safe or practical location? No.


    Post a layout and we might be able to help more

  • 7 years ago

    I agree with all the others. Is it against code, probably not, but, it is an unsafe place for a stove, if you can possibly move it to a new location, I would most certainly do that. I think your kitchen looks nice, so probably wouldnt do much to it, but, moving the stove for me, would be a priority.

  • 7 years ago

    Post a layout with all measurements and you might be surprised what we can come up with. Also if you're replacing appliances, I'd look into replacing that stove with an induction stove.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I too will need a to scale floor plan of the whole space and also at least mention of the spaces surrounding the kitchen Graph paper is the easiest way to do this and just mark all measurements on the drawing

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    If that's a Kenmore range, you're allowed a 1" gap between the appliance and the wall minimum. It doesn't appear you have it. Many times local code says that appliances will be installed per manufacturer's installation instructions.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Can't tell much from the photo but, is there any chance that you can switch the window & door placements? Move the door to where the window is and the window to where the door is?

    Or move the door to the window location, replace with a door with larger lights & eliminate the window altogether?

    Because having a stove jammed up next to a wall like yours is would drive me batty.

  • 7 years ago

    Think built in ovens....It's an unusual placement because so many people prefer counter on both sides of a stove, but it's probably up to code. The previous owners were allowed to sell it!! Your inspector didn't balk... DH was going off about a kitchen picture the other day and this NEED for counter on the left side. I said: LOOK at our kitchen...the one he didn't renovate as "promised" 20 years ago. Our stove sits next to a door way.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    M1901.1 Clearances

    Freestanding or built-in ranges shall have a vertical clearance above the cooking top of not less than 30 inches (762 mm) to unprotected combustible material. Reduced clearances are permitted in accordance with the listing and labeling of the range hoods or appliances. The installation of a listed and labeled cooking appliance or microwave oven over a listed and labeled cooking appliance shall be in accordance with Section M1504.1. The clearances for a domestic open-top broiler unit shall be in accordance with Section M1505.1.


    M1901.2 Cooking Appliances


    Cooking appliances shall be listed and labeled for household use and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. The installation shall not interfere with combustion air or access for operation and servicing. Electric cooking appliances shall comply with UL 1026 or UL 858. Solid-fuel-fired fireplace stoves shall comply with UL 737.



  • 7 years ago

    Code requirements are very jurisdiction specific so you would really need to check whether it passes Code. Something not up to current Code can generally be sold because it's grandfathered in unless it is a specific requirement that on sale it must contain something - I know that smoke detectors are required to be in place when sold in my jurisdiction - Los Angeles.


    However, in Code happy Los Angeles, that placement of an electric stove would be fine. I live in a condo which has even MORE stringent Code requirements than a single family home and the electric stoves all butt against one wall. That was the original layout and most of the kitchens have been remodeled and retained the placement. There are very rigorous inspections required for a kitchen remodel (and my building polices permitting etc) so having an electric stove against a wall is not problematic.


    I chose to move my stove when I remodeled recently because I hated the layout as it prevented me from having pots with long handles but I had absolutely no scorching or browning over the many years I used the stove in that configuration. In the long history of my building (1965) there has NEVER been any fire or other problems with the electric stoves next to the wall so any speculation regarding fire hazards is completely unwarranted.


    I would suggest for many reasons to get an induction cooktop when you remodel whether or not you retain the current layout. An induction cooktop does not heat up so there is even less likelihood of any heat being an issue with a wall.