Software
Houzz Logo Print
kmoffitt7

Please help with exterior design...

7 years ago

I am about to begin this build from plans I purchased online and would appreciate any help on the following:


1. I like the exterior color scheme in the picture, how can I better identify the siding and trim color? I have the roof down and I think the stone. We will likely go with a pre painted James Hardie product so I would like to find a standard color that they offer.

2. I’m a little hesitant about committing to a blue roof even though the blue accents are essential I think, so I’m open to a different look and want to consider other options. The house will be a lakefront home so we like the cottage/coastal colors. Blue is probably out because it is what our last home was that we just sold on the same lake. Other color combinations?

3. Maybe I need a pro color consultant, any recommendations?



Link to plans




Comments (16)

  • 7 years ago

    I have turned the plans over to a local architect who together with an engineer is addressing that issue. In the meantime I am working to finalize material and finish specs such as siding color and material.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Is the roof a metal roof?


    There's more than enough "character" for three or more houses. Ask your architect to greatly simplify.

  • 7 years ago

    Hey Res3d, funny when I read your comment on my phone, it cut off your comment at “loads” so I thought you were referring to point loads :). Yes it has lots of character but we like it.

  • 7 years ago

    No metal in the roof design, I believe it’s a Certainteed Landmark Atlantic Blue shingle

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Well then...what are the other available colors in that line of roofing?

  • 7 years ago

    Lots of choices in roofing, that’s why we are starting with figuring out the siding, trim, and window colors. Looking for help with an overall color scheme and look as an alternative to those in the picture.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    If you love it keep it IMO too much for a small house and a blue roof not in a million years

  • 7 years ago

    Well this house certainly doesn't live by the motto of Coco Chanel.

  • 7 years ago

    You may get more helpful feedback if you post a picture of the house (so people don’t have to click on the link) and the shingle color options with pictures. It’s work to hunt them down otherwise :)

  • 7 years ago

    Why would the oversized columns have foundations taller than the house foundations? The designer seems to have given up the pretense of a functional purpose at the far left corner. I realize the stonework is a "feature" but for me it adds to the difficulty of knowing what is real and what is only for show.

    I see a lot of good ideas and detailing but they seem compressed from a larger design.

    The little lanterns are simply overwhelmed.

  • 7 years ago

    The weird variation in the trim over the garage doors and front windows drives me crazy, along with the photo's angle that makes me keeps seeing the magnolia tree planted in front of the recessed garage door. :-D (Why is it recessed???)

    But OP has said that he is cleaning up the all the foo-foo and woo-woo with a local architect, so I'm looking forward to seeing the cleaned-up version.

    Ken Moffitt, why is blue out because it was what you had on your previous house? Are you just tired of blue roofs? Just curious.

  • 7 years ago

    Not the roof color, the house color. We are building on the same lake very close to our previous home which was blue so we want to do something different.

  • 7 years ago

    Appreciate all the input, but primarily looking for color scheme help. Or a referral to a pro to help with color.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    OK. Building site with lots of trees: green roof.

  • 7 years ago

    Ken Moffitt, my apologies. I was distracted by your second question in your original post.