lisadean81

Can anyone recommend a very light gray grout color for backsplash?

lisadean81

I know there are many brands and shades of gray grout but it’s hard to know which one to choose. I’m doing a quartz (marble look) counter with a simple white subway backsplash. I want the contrast to be very subtle because my cabinets are a mahogany/cherry color stain (redoing cabs is not in budget right now and all trim and cabinets throughout house are same color). Attached is a pic of the sample sticks from Mapei grout- left is color Frost and right is Warm Gray. Any thoughts on these two or recommendations from a different brand? Concerned the warm gray may look taupey with the cabinets and that the Frost May dry to look white.

• luckyblueeye

I just grouted our entry using Fusion Pro and chose Delorean Gray. It's a beautiful light gray and the grout doesn't need to be sealed.

lisadean81 thanked luckyblueeye
  • Carolae

I’ve used Latricete Silver Shadow with white subway tile.

lisadean81 thanked Carolae
  • Carolae

Silver Shadow is Laticrete’s lightest gray.

Can you do a sample board with Mapei Frost to see if you like it?

lisadean81 thanked Carolae
  • lisadean81

Hi , luckyblueeye thanks for the recommendation of Delorean Gray. Isn’t that more of a medium gray? Also, Carolae your shower looks great. Does the silver shadow lean bluish at all? Thank you both.

• AJCN

We used Mapei frost with white subway tile.

lisadean81 thanked AJCN
  • salex

Have you considered Mapei's Alabaster? It looks less taupe-y than the warm gray.

Please post pics when you finish your backsplash! I'll be facing a similar decision next month and would love to see what you pick and how it looks.

lisadean81 thanked salex
  • lisadean81

AJCN could you please post pics? Does it turn white or does it look light gray. I’ve heard both about this color which was one I was leaning towarads.

Salex ill I’ll check out alabaster also. Thanks.

• luckyblueeye

Lisa, Delorean looked very light at HD (HD and Daltile are suppliers), and it looks nice and light next to my gray floor tiles...I didn't want any contrast or attention to the grout. Could be a medium next to white :)

lisadean81 thanked luckyblueeye
  • Carolae

I don’t think Silver Shadow leans blue at all. It is not a warm gray though.

Here I used it in my master bath with a light blue gray tile. It looks gray, not blue. It may look darker than in my other bathroom because the grout line needed to be wider with the master bath tile. In both bathrooms I wanted as light a grout color as possible without being white.

I think it’s best to go lighter than darker for grout with white subway tile unless you like a more industrial type look.

Can you have your tile setter do a sample board before you make your final selection?

• AJCN

OP, I'm not home right now, so I can't send a pic. These are just upstairs kids' bath/shower combos, nothing fancy. But it doesn't turn white. It stays the same color as when it is installed. It's a very very light gray. We made a mistake in our other bathroom and picked "white" which now looks yellow-ish. When we grouted the other 2 bathrooms we picked the "frost," and it provides a very soft slight contrast to the white subway; just enough to see the outline of the tile, but not dark and jarring. When ever I see dark grout with light tile all I can think of is Cheshire cat teeth!

lisadean81 thanked AJCN
  • cpartist

I believe I used CGM Platinum.

lisadean81 thanked cpartist
  • Holly Stockley

Didn't ILoveRed test out 3 or 4 light greys when she did her 'splash? Look for her thread, she posted pictures.

lisadean81 thanked Holly Stockley
  • Mom

After doing a sample board with various colors (very helpful!) we went with Mapei Frost for our white subway tile backsplash. It dried to a very pale gray and we are happy with it. It gives a subtle definition to the tiles, which was our goal.

lisadean81 thanked Mom
  • lisadean81

Hi Mom,

are you by any chance able to post pics of your white subway with frost grout? I really like the sample stick of Frost but reading some reviews that it looks white makes me hesitate. An up close pic as well as a couple feet away from tile would help.

Thanks

• Mom

Sorry about the delayed response. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to post pics on my phone! These photos are close up and from several feet away. The close up makes the tile and the grout look more taupe than they actually are, but it gives you an idea of the contrast. The most distant shot is from about 10’ away (I have a small kitchen). Hope these help!

lisadean81 thanked Mom
  • Carolae

Mapei Frost is very pretty! It’s not too dark with white subway tile, just like Laticrete Silver Shadow is not too dark. Frost looks like a slightly warmer gray than Silver Shadow, but of course it’s hard to tell online.

Here’s a color comparison chart for Mapei and Laticrete grout. Note that neither Frost nor Laticrete have an equivalent color for the other manufacturer. Neither color would be too light for white subway tile- you would still see definition of tile pattern.

lisadean81 thanked Carolae
  • annettea

TEC Silverado

lisadean81 thanked annettea
  • lisadean81

Very pretty, Mom! It really is hard to see the light gray grout from the pics. i just want to make sure it doesn’t look dirty white or lean bluish like some grays. Thanks for the pictures.

Carolae thanks for the chart. I’m checking into Frost. Oh and does anyone know why ordering Mapei Frost with sealer costs twice as much as the other colors sold in store and it takes two plus weeks for delivery (They don’t carry the Frost with sealer in store)

Annettea, thanks. Silverado is at the top of my list also.

• Mom

In my kitchen it doesn’t look dirty white or lean bluish. But again, I found making the sample boards very helpful in choosing the grout. Plus you can see them in your kitchen with your tile and your kitchen lighting - all of which factor in on how the grout ultimately looks.