radianyce

14X 20 Building Deck

radianyce

I am working to draft a design for a deck 14X20. The home is 2 story and the current deck does not have stairs. I have decided to add stairs and a gate to the new deck. I also want to have a kitchen and fire pit that heats with propane. I have decided to leave the deck open but I have full sun. I have thought about a pergola but I was concerned about upkeep for a pressure treated structure. I also thought about louvered covering but I'm not sure with the below zero temps in Chicago that it could be maintained. Any suggestions?

• jck910

We have an awning. They can be operated manually or remotely. They can also be stationary on a frame

• fnmroberts

Following are a few pix of ours in Northern Illinois Cedar used for egress deck and pergola Yes, some maintenance and fir a paver patio too

You can note a natural gas grill (covered) at the back, screened to block wind.

Landing style steps for safe transport of food, etc. and safety for ones with disabilities. Tempered glass railing.

Natural gas firepit. Pergola is 8x12. Patio 26x24 plus 12x12 for hot tub and 9x5 grilling space. Convenient seating for 20 and room for an additional table when necessary.

Post some pictures of your space and I have no idea why you need a gate on your deck. The more info the more help.What do you want to use the deck for? that size deck will be hard to fit more than some chairs and the firepit if you want dining there it will be tight. I ave no idea about the need for stairs if your deck now has none. Pictures please.

GN Builders L.L.C

20' X 14' is not that big of a deck to have the fire pit, a kitchen plus an eating area, etc. It will be to to much stuff on it especially if you plan to entertain guests.

• radianyce

Hello thanks for your comment. I want to put a small pergola to the east for grilling station. A gate at top of deck for security. The third arrow is for lattice for privacy. I’m thinking about expanding and making two decks from the stairs. I get full sun from the east and will have to figure out what to do for a deck cover.Do you have any suggestions?

• fnmroberts

Honestly, I’m not following your narrative and diagram. I do agree with GN Bldrs guideance regarding usage and size. Suggest marking out the various areas on the ground to give yourself a preview. As to multiple-level decks, they’re restrictive and a potential fall hazard.

• radianyce

This is the east side of the existing deck. I considering a small grill area since that door is accessible to my kitchen. The steps will start from patio door to just near the back door. I will probably use a linear fire table bar height. I was told to measure furniture that I wanted to add for entertaining.

• radianyce

Here is the west part of deck. Coming forward with deck would run into that tree. I want to keep it. I could come out in front of it 10 ft for a tiered deck space. Taking suggestions.

GN Builders L.L.C

Come out another 4' it will give you a 20x20 deck. I wouldn't do such a wide stair because you don't really needed, and don't do a tiered deck because that will only break the deck into 2 sections and it will be space waster.

I would probably do something like this

• radianyce

GN BD I like the idea of deck 20 x20 but I have a Japanese elm tree I wanna keep. In your rendering it is not there. Here is my mark for 4 ft.

GN Builders L.L.C

If that is the case, extend the deck and avoid hitting the tree, or just simply trim some branches, it doesn't look like to many needs to be trimmed for a deck to clear. This type of a trees always get trimmed especially lower limbs which in some circumstances crowd other plants that grow lower or sometimes the tree could encroach on the walkway, etc. and still have a beautiful tree.

Good luck