divachar

knock out wall OR not...

divachar

I’m including 3 photos so you can see what I’m asking.

First off let me say as you can see we are doing demo and till the last hour I’m stuck on whether to take this wall out and put in a open railing OR leave it, will take out the part where gyproc is down as it’s landing space.

I had a very large mirror over a very narrow open console and it looked fine when you are inside but it was difficult to open the door without having to move behind it. Visually it tricked the eye but was tight. If I open up and put in railing I could do a feature wall on the stairwell wall, it still will be 4’ to the railing but 7’ to the stair wall, visually it would be open.

If I keep it I plan on doing a complete feature wall like an art installation, I will try and include a photo of what I’m thinking.

Welcome your ideas!

• acm

you're talking about a wall that separates your entrance from your basement steps?!?

• Angie K

I would open up,the area and take out the wall. It will open things up and not feel so closed in at the entry.

• hazelcraddock

Even a VERY STUDY railing system would make me nervous right there because there's not much clearance and people will back up or bump into it. Maybe a 1/2 wall or 3/4 wall or something like this.

Staircase Screen · More Info

• divachar

Yes, this is stairwell going downstairs. The hall is 4’ wide and I really like having a small table there... but it’s tight.

I’ve taken quite a few walls out and I’m concerned as on the one hand it would open up visually like the rest of the house but my console table unless I do something on the opposite wall you see would be non existent.

Interesting comment about feeling like you would bump into it, at 4’ that hasn’t been an issue but I find what you sent interesting, only it’s back to closing the feature wall as if I take it out I plan on doing something interesting on that stair wall.

LOVE HEARING THE FEEDBACK, keep it coming!

• ritasj

I think your idea is what is called for...however with a double door entry...creating the expectation of a grand entry...it needs to be a very special railing...nothing too casual or simple

• divachar

I agree ritasj 100% ... I’m redoing the whole house and I’m going for a B&W with gold look throughout as I have always lived and loved that palette.

I was thinking something black with perhaps a wee bit of brass involved. We have a stair place here that wins awards all the time and I was going to see them, I also thought clear glass panels framed in black and I’m not sure what for the feature wall but I can think of several things that could work.

I wonder as the previous comment mentioned... if I went with glass would that be a bit ‘scary’?

• ritasj

I think glass is a little scary..and in view of your need of something dramatic..I may just sort of disappear...I like your black with brass detail idea...but not too ornate...you want drama but not so much detail that the eye stops there...again...drawing attention to the cramped size

• divachar

Wall came down (well gyproc) did ... thought I would include photos from both views.

• ritasj

How big is this house?..are all the rooms on the small side?...is there a way to move the stairs?...if not it may be a good idea to get a very pretty but smaller front door with sidelights?
    ?

• Angie K

I love it with the wall gone. Now a nice railing will look nice. I would also add a glass door and side lights if possible. I a little light will be great in your space.

• divachar

It’s a 1406 sq ft bungalow with BIG ideas! I’m pretty much gutting all and am putting together not for resale but for myself. I work from home and am creating a much more larger office and things that I will personally enjoy for the long haul!

• divachar

Angie, I’m including a photo of the doors. There will also be two sidelites with these doors, yes I agree taking out was the right thing to do, once I do a feature wall on the other side and get railing in it should look pulled together!

I’ve been noticing what I type and what my phone edits is sometimes quite off... super annoying! Forgive me if you read something and it doesn’t make sense.

• ritasj

Two doors and two sidelights are too big for a 1400 sq.ft. Bungalow...instead of making it look more important it will look odd...a picture of the whole home from the street would help on this...these doors also don’t look right for a bungalow....unless you are completely changing the architectural style of the home...

• ritasj

And YES... the whole site is erratic...posting requires lots of compensating for
    unexpected glitches...

• divachar

ritasj, the house was originally built in 1979 with these doors and I have to respectfully disagree with you on this as the doors are central, I would post a photo of the exterior but it has my address on and for my work / security life I cant disclose. It’s difficult to explain without a photo but I’m changing it to a more modern exterior and there is only one window, the doors, and the garage door that face the front, I’m going to be enlarging the window and the doors become very central due to the way it’s built. I wanted to blend the existing exterior with a more modern feel and with the B&W I think I can pull it off.

I had initially considered an architect to see if we could build an additional to the front but there are two other rooflines with low pitch that make it impossible unless I completely overhaul the exterior and I already am spending money I didn’t want to on the exterior. That’s a subject for another post. When I have time I may blur out and post but it could still be identified I’m sure.

• hazelcraddock

Sounds like you know what look you want and how to get it. Please keep posting before and after photos.

• chocolatesnap

You say you have taken down quite a few walls, I hope you have a structural engineer evaluating each of them--checking load bearing, etc? Especially as you talk about making a bungalow built in '79 more open concept--

• divachar

Yes, I had a structural engineer over first thing on advisement... as I thought my plan was crippled before I started. He came and informed me that I could take every wall out if I wanted to as the two different roof lines are sitting on girders, so the interior walls are not supporting any load, needless to say that opened up the plan... lol

• ritasj

Gotta say..I have never seen a cottage that has no windows facing the front??..and never a cottage that has double doors...it is however...amazing to find out that all interior walls can be removed!...we had our home built that way and have no interior walls except for closets and bathrooms...1500 sq.ft. feet feels like a 5000 sq.ft. home

• divachar

There is one window to the front and I’m going to double it in size... most people think it’s the living room when in fact it was a bedroom and will now be my new office.