wheresraz

master bath - bathtub inside wet room opinions

wheresraz

wanted to get opinions from people that have experienced bathtubs that are enclosed in a wet room. we want a steam shower and a jetted tub and the designer combined the two into one big glass box wet room.

has anyone experienced this that can share their thoughts on bathing experience and steam shower experience in that set up?

my initial reaction is that it's a bigger space so less efficient for the steam shower experience and that i dont think i'll like relaxing in a bathtub that's enclosed in what feels like a smaller space compared to the actual bathroom size. that said, i've not experienced this set up so that's just an initial reaction.

pros i can think of is that i can relax in a bath while inside a steam room and that it probably will look great from a design perspective.

note, the bath will be predominantly used to relax in while reading a book.

GreenDesigns

Worst, least practical idea ever. Most expensive idea ever. Unless you want a 50K wet space expense, just by itself?

• di0spyr0s

I’ve not had the wet room/steam shower experience, but I have spent a lot of time reading books in the bath.

If there is any way at all to set your tub under a sunny window, do it. Nothing beats a sunny Sunday afternoon in the bath with a good book and a bottle of wine.

Make sure there’s a spot for your towel next to the bath - it’s inevitable your hands will get wet and you’ll want to dry your them before turning the page!

Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

That's going to be expensive and a PAIN to clean.

Consider putting the entrance to your closet in the bedroom. Then you can eat up that extra space and get the bathtub out of the shower.

• damiarain

Following Sina's suggestion, you could do something like below:

ETA: I would want a door on the bathroom - otherwise when someone walks in and turns the light on, it shines directly onto the bed =(

• AJCN

My sister has a 4'x5' steam shower with bench, and I think it is just a tad bit too small. When I was exploring the idea, my contractor said not to make it too big either. We ended up installing a 4'x6' non-steamer. That 1 extra foot is nice. Something in that size range is probably better for steam than the huge 10'x7' one that your designer has proposed.

Would you be willing to change to a drop-in tub instead of a freestanding one? If you use the tub a lot you might appreciate the pros of a drop-in. Drop-in takes up less space, is easier to get in and out of, and you have some decking to place your items on such as your toiletries, book, and glass of tea or wine, etc. And if you change your closet entrance to the master bedroom, maybe something like this will work, and you could get a built-in chest of drawers in the closet?

• MongoCT

Has your designer or contractor sized a steam generator for that space? Depending on ceiling height, you could be looking at one designed for a 750-1000cuft volume. I recommend oversizing the generator a bit based on surface materials and insulation. Depending on your sourcing, you could be in the $4k-$5k range just for the generator (I use Thermosol), and the electrical requirements? In the range of a 100 amp breaker.

I advocate that steam rooms be only as large as it needs to be. Unnecessarily over-sizing a steam room simply wastes money and can result in a lesser experience.

Good luck with your build.