Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annatime

Above the Stove Venting Options - Help!

annatime
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I currently have a microwave above my electric stove to vent but am doing a kitchen renovation and absolutely love the attached photo. Is it doable/advisable to enclose a minimalistic under-cabinet ductless range hood with cabinetry? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Comments (9)

• Hamma
    4 years ago

I'm suspecting you're looking at a "hood liner insert", i.e. something that fits inside your cabinet. I'd check if there is a recirculating kit available for the model you're considering, in case you absolutely cannot have it vented outside (a more preferable option, I think).

On another note, the inspiration picture you provided baffles me...Do people really cook anything in those kitchens, with wreaths and cutesy wood plaques/sayings (I can't see what it says)? It looks so dangerous to me....

annatime thanked Hamma
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

" minimalistic under-cabinet ductless range hood " - this type of wood hood you show above will require an insert type of exhaust unit - not a range hood. Quite often it can be supplied through the cabinet manufacturer, otherwise you would purchase one that is the proper size for your stove and either the hood is built to it or you use an adjustable liner.

Your appliance person and kitchen designer can help you

Good luck!

annatime thanked Debbi Washburn
  • annatime
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the advice thus far! Does anyone have a ductless hood insert with a wood cover in their kitchen? If so, do you like it?

• annatime
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner Very helpful, thanks! Your kitchen is beautiful.

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Ductless is useless. Say hello to a filthy hood with the paint all scrubbed off from the frequent cleaning. Which is why stainless is a much better choice if you’re going to do ductless. Or, get it ducted. That’s pretty much a must to have happen. Better to spend 6K on that than the 6K fancy wood hood. The rest of your house will thank you by staying cleaner and less smelly.

annatime thanked GreenDesigns
  • Helen
    4 years ago

As others have posted, a ventless hood really doesn't do much - it's about as good as the standard over the range microwave/hood which also doesn't vent well.

However, the need for a strong vent really depends on your cooking habits. Induction or standard electric is less problematic than gas. If you don't fry or otherwise generate large amounts of greasy food into the air, a strong hood vented to the outside is less critical.

I had a crappy completely ineffectual hood for many years and it really wasn't that much of an issue because I didn't regularly fry bacon or chicken so there wasn't all that much to vent.

I recently remodeled and went with a "real" hood which is vented to the outside. Mine is a copper hood with an insert. As others have posted, if you want a "decorative" hood, you purchase the insert and then send the specifications to the cabinetmaker or hood maker. They screwed up my hood on the first go which delayed installation as I had to wait until they sent out a copper hood with the right measurements. Since it was their fault, I didn't have to pay anything - just deal with the delay in finishing the kitchen

annatime thanked Helen
  • annatime
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Helen I don't do any frying, so that's very helpful. Thank you.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

That is a hood and I would need to see your kitchen design to advise about such an over the top expensive hood i a regular kitche with an electric stove IMO a wood enclosed hood is hard to care for gets greasy and discolors over time save your money get a nice stainless hood and IMO a better stove first.

annatime thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting