bayarea_girl

Palatine Roses bare root mail order for fall 2019 and spring 2020

bayarea_girl
last modified: August 30, 2019

Palatine Roses will open their website for bare root rose mail orders for both fall 2019 and spring 2020 delivery starting September 9th 9:00am EST. We can start working on our list now. Anyone who missed their chance to order Augusta Luise last year, this is the time to order it again. Helen

• Alice

@frizzycat44 I also suspect that this may be the case. But I think I want the other roses enough that I will let the order go through...

bayarea_girl thanked Alice
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Judith,

Thanks for the heads-up on Julie Andrews from Regan, I see they finally posted pics. I’m afraid I may need to head to Regan next, their Julie is different from any on HMF, and its quite nice!

Then I’ll need to find a good sale on pots to expand my ever burgeoning pot ghetto!

bayarea_girl thanked BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

Boy am I thankful I get up early to watch Kennedy! All of the ones I most wanted sold out!

i wish we knew how many there were to start with!

bayarea_girl thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • alameda/zone 8/East Texas

kathyc, I am glad to know I am not the only one disappointed with Sunstruck. When it first opens, it is the most beautiful rose! But shortly it turns into a faded out nothing. I kept trying to like it but it just faded too quickly. Hoping Barock will be a similar color.

Ben.......what size pots do you start your plants in? Julie A is a very different looking rose - looking forward to getting it. I got Emma Haftl last year from Palatine.......it has a bunch of lovely light pink ruffled blooms on it now......its the same kind of unusual color as Julie.

Looking forward to hearing more of what you all have ordered! Whats really fun is that I dont have to wait until spring to get them! And David Austin's 2020 catalog is so slow to come out........not til December. Already wanting Mill on the Floss.......

Judith

bayarea_girl thanked alameda/zone 8/East Texas
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Judith

I like to start roses in at least 5 gallons...Some that I’ve started in 20+ gallons and made it their permanent home.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Judith I love that the Austin catalog doesn’t come until December. My husband gets me a gift certificate for Christmas and it comes with the catalog. I probably spent two hours last Christmas just poring over it :)

If it came out earlier I wouldn’t be able to help myself....I’d cheat and look early!

bayarea_girl thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Lbpetals z10b

Like other on here I was so thrilled to get Biedermeier & Black Caviar this morning. Unfortunately after the confirmation email I received another email letting me know those two were sold out.

bayarea_girl thanked Lbpetals z10b
  • bayarea_girl

Here are the current sold old roses (3pm PDT): Augusta Louise, Barock, Belle Sans Flatterie, Biedermeier Garden, Black Caviar, Brilliant Veranda, Bullata, Chartreuse de Parme, Dornröschen, Duchesse de Montebello, Edgar Degas, Emma Haftl, Garden Sunshine, Great Maidens Blush, Grimm Brother Fairy Tale, Kazanlik, Larissa, Mme Pierre Oger, Our Anniversary, Pomponella Fairy Tale, and Poseidon, Rosa Alba Semi Plena, Summer Memories, Sunbeam Veranda, Westerland. Helen

• sara_ann-z6bok

I wasn’t going to order yet, but after seeing how fast some roses were selling out I thought I better get it placed, I have already missed out on Pomponella Fairytale. I would like to get some Kordes climbers, but really need a better plan for where to plant them, holding off on that

Pope John Paul II X 2

Earth Angel

Dee-Lish

Pompon Veranda

Gipsy Boy

Yolande d’Aragon

Moonstone

Summer Romance

Madame Anisette

bayarea_girl thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Anyone know when Regan starts selling their bare roots?

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

I called them yesterday - was told when the boss finishes the website, they will be ready and it should be sometime next week. They have some goodies! I found out Edmunds probably wont be ready until October - but that could change. Just got ARE's catalog yesterday. Noticed Mier y Teran wasnt listed - dont know if this was an oversight or if they arent offering it - glad I got it in their Labor Day sale.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Thanks Judith!

I had also contacted Hortico...they said it would take several weeks to count their harvest, then update their website.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Was just looking at their website.......thanks for update Ben. By the way, what soil do you use in your containers? I have some good soil I buy in bulk and keep on a trailer for potting [bark fines, sand, mushroom compost] but thinking I might need to add a more balanced soil with this for my containers. Have you by any chance been to visit the new Chamblees nursery near Tyler? When it cools off a bit, we want to visit Tyler, see the rose gardens there and go see the new Chamblees. I saw the old nursery on a recent trip - everything gone but the office and there were piles of dirt like something is going to be built, so guess the property was sold. So sad and desolate........how I will miss that nursery!

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Hi Judith

I didn’t know if/when the new Chamblees would open and what they’d carry. Please do report back if you visit! I did visit the Municipal Garden back in July, they had some serious black spot issues, hope that get resolved by fall.

I use Stay-Green Moisture Control Potting Soil from Lowes. I find the roses like it and it’s value priced. Below, Soul Sister, purchased from Chamblee’s enjoys her Stay-Green Potting soil.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

Hi folks

Thanks for mentioning the sale in this and other threads! I hadn't marked the Palatine opening on my calendar as usual, so I would have been heartbroken to miss out! I had meetings all morning so couldn't get there early enough for Black Caviar and Biedermeier Garden, or Garden Sunshine and Our Anniversary (love the Jalbert roses). Hopefully they'll be offered again next year. I did balance that out with getting Paul Gauguin which I've wanted FOREVER, and (ahem) just a FEW others...

Amber Sun, Barock, Butterfly, Gipsy Boy, Goldelse, Mme Jean, Olivier Roellinger, Out of Rosenheim, Papageno, Paul Gauguin, Pincushion, Pirouette, Pompon Veranda, Postilion, Pretty Dancer, and Regensburg.

Oh and Rifls, I did put in Pearl of Niagara last year and I think it is a Palatine introduction. It was pretty nicely hardy for me and has bloomed a little in its second year, which is a good track record in my yard, particularly in part sun. The flowers are relatively large and well formed with a true white rather than cream color, so Mother of Pearl is probably not anything more than a distant relative at best. I think it'll be a nice one, but it's too early to pass much of a judgment officially.

Cynthia

bayarea_girl thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • bayarea_girl

Ben, thank you for the Sta-Green Moisture Control Potting Soil recommendation. I'm currently using Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Soil, but I'll try yours.

Dianne (nanadoll), you are the Delbard expert, so this question is for you and anyone who knows about Delbard roses. How many roses are in the Delbard Painters Collection? Here is my partial list.

Delbard Painters collection:

Alfred Sisley

Camille Pissarro

Claude Monet

Edgar Degas

Henri Matisse

Marc Chagall

Maurice Utrillo

Paul Cézanne

Does Paul Gauguin belong to this list? Helen

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Ben, thanks for recommendation - going to Lowes this afternoon and will pick some up. Plan to try mixing it with my bark fines/sand/mushroom compost mix.......I called Chamblees this afternoon - got directions to their nursery. They are selling 1,2,3 gallon pots. The one gallons are $12.95 - so glad they are continuing with this! A new one is Princess Charlene of Monaco - one I have been wanting to get. Hope to visit once it cools off and roses start blooming again.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

I think it does belong, and it has a similar feel Helen. Those are the primary painter's roses I am aware of, and since Camille Pissarro, Marc Chagall, and Paul Cezanne all seem to be coming into commerce this year my only unobtainable painter will be Claude Monet (woo hoo!). I think Rose des Cistercens from Delbard is a very similar rose to the painter's series, but without the painter name.

Cynthia

• bayarea_girl

Thanks Cynthia. Paul Cezanne is coming into commerce? Woot! Do you know the nursery that offers it?

Do you know if Rose des Cistercens offered by any US nurseries? I remember Beth had it in her garden but with the fire to her property I hope that rose survives.

I contacted PalatineRoses (using their web form) asking them to add Paul Gauguin to my order, and it was done quickly with no problem. They are one of my most favorite rose nurseries. Helen

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

I’m so late to share my order but I have been going non stop these couple days! I chose the the November shipping date , only 2 weeks after the baby is due . Totally reasonable right ?! Lol

Do I need all of these ? No

but I want them ! Lol

bayarea_girl thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Helen

I used to use Miracle Gro Mositure Control back when Costco had it...the roses loved it too. Then Costco switched to Miracle Gro Organic, and my roses rebelled against that nasty stuff by producing poor growth and sad flowers :(. So I found the Stay Green Moisture control reasonably priced at Lowes, and the peace was restored to the Pot Ghetto.

Here is Rosie the Riveter, happily growing in Miracle Gro Moisture Control for 3 seasons.

Jen,

Gosh you are ambitious. Perhaps get your pots ready and soil moistened now so there’s less work after the baby arrives?

• bayarea_girl

Ben, that's one happy rose, LOL. How often do you water and fertilize your potting roses? Just curious, how many roses do you have right now?

Jen,

I think Ben gives good advices. When I placed my order for Palatine I blocked my mind from where I put them because if I didn't do that I would order like 2 roses instead 16. However, I know even in pots, 16 still require a lot of work, and there're Regan, David Austin... It's never end, but so much fun :) Helen

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)

Thank you, Cynthia.

bayarea_girl thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Helen,

I have about 90 roses. I make it a point NOT to count , or I’d feel like a rose glutton. About 20-25 are in pots. How many do you have, and how many in pots? I love your collection, you have so many hard-to-find varieties.

I water every day in the summer, and fertilize every week for potted plants.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Ben, went to Lowes this afternoon - they had only 2 kinds of Sta Green but not the moisture control - they had the yellow and dark blue bags - one of flower, vegetable soil and the other was potting soil with fertilizer. Also had Miracle Gro Rose Soil - so I decided to wait. May call and see if they can order it........

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Ben, your potted roses look so healthy

Do you change out the soil or do you add fresh to the top ?

bayarea_girl thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • bayarea_girl

Ben, I have about 170 but I don't have the exact number of how many in the ground or pots right now. I'm guessing 2/3 in the ground and 1/3 in pots. I love unique beautiful petal packed roses :)

I'm behind on my rose fertilizer schedule. I did it beginning of the season. I need to do it again soon. LOL. Helen

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

That great advice ben !! I do need to buy pots for those ear marked for that . Maybe I should have chose a later ship date but I was so excited to be able to get these to begin with!

• sidos_house

Admirers of the Delbard Painters may want to consider Olivier Roellinger while it is available. This rose was released about 10 years or so after the Painters and derives from the same cross as Guy Savoy. I suspect flowers aren’t reliably striped but potentially striped.

See HMF and:

http://www.theheritagerosesgroup.org/articles/single-newsletter-10.pdf

bayarea_girl thanked sidos_house
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Judith,

The potting soil is ‘Sta-Green MoistureMax Potting Mix’.

I didn’t get the name exactly right the first time.

Kristine, I haven’t had to amend my pots yet, but I dread the day is coming soon. Here Heirloom has pretty much completely taken over her pot, and I’m sure her roots are pot-bound.

Helen,

How wonderful to have so many roses! I can’t have enough of all the different forms, colors, fragrances. Fortunately, I’m a collector, not a landscaper, so as long as the roses are healthy, I’m happy. I could care less if their colors are compatible or if the landscape is harmonious.

Jen,

Stay healthy , we need more garden and baby pics.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Ben, I am blown away every time I see a picture of your heirloom rose I am so glad I purchased that 1 it's so beautiful

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Ben thanks for the photo of the potting soil - my Lowes didnt have that one but now I know what to ask for! I bought an Heirloom at the Certified Roses trailer sale for $5.50 - havent potted it yet, but if it could look half as good as yours I would be thrilled! Thank you! I always love your posts when you post photos.......your roses are fabulous!!

• Ann9BNCalif

Ben - all your roses are fabulous but I'm really impressed with the quantity and quality of your potted roses! I can't grow a rose in a pot to save myself. Yours are truly exceptional!

Ann

bayarea_girl thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Welcome back, Kathyc! Don't be a stranger. Lilyfinch, you're an animal! Wow! I hope you have help planting! BenT, thanks for the info on the potting soil. I've stayed away from the crystals since we get so much rain, but I think I don't fertilize mine enough looking at your weekly schedule. Do you use a water soluble fertilizer.... weekly weakly? My potted roses are always ragged. Alameda, am I to understand Chamblees is returning to their prior price for the 1 gallon size? I sure hope so. There are only a very few I actually need from them, but many that I still want! : D Price makes the difference for me in that circumstance. Also, I've noticed ARE (and others) don't have all their roses in their catalogues. I noticed this with Ghislaine de Feligonde last year and I had a hard time finding Caroline Hunt on their website recently, but they are both still on offer. I'm so envious of that Certified trailer sale, but with all my cuttings, it's probably for the best.

bayarea_girl thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • bayarea_girl

SOLD OUT roses (12pm PDT 9/11/2019): Augusta Louise, Barock, Belle Sans Flatterie, Biedermeier Garden, Black Caviar, Bullata, Butterfly, Chartreuse de Parme, Dainty Bess, Duchesse de Montebello, Edgar Degas, Emma Haftl, Garden Sunshine, Great Maidens Blush, Grimm Brother Fairy Tale, Gros Choux d'Hollande, Kazanlik, Larissa, Mme Pierre Oger, Our Anniversary, Queen of Denmark, Reine de Violettes, Sidonie, Skyrocket, Sunbeam Veranda, and Westerland.

AVAILABLE again roses: Brilliant Veranda, Dornröschen, Garden Sunshine, Pomponella Fairy Tale, Poseidon, Rosa Alba Semi Plena, and Summer Memories.

SaraAnn, at this moment Pomponella Fairy Tale is available again on their website. You should ask them to add it to your order right away if you still want it.

Poseidon is also available again for anyone who missed it earlier. Helen

• FrozeBudd_z4

Bayarea_girl, thanks sooo much for that, I had really wanted 'Garden Sunshine' and have now phoned in and ordered it up along with a few others!

bayarea_girl thanked FrozeBudd_z4
  • nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

Ah Helen, you're right - I got my Pauls mixed up. Paul Gauguin is available but Paul Cezanne is still on my unobtainable list. Still, not bad compared to virtually all of them being unavailable till recently. Yes, Olivier Roellinger is very painter-like to my eyes, and it's still available folks (hint). Thanks for the heads-up about Garden Sunshine - I'd also wanted that so I can add it to my list too!

Cynthia

• Christian

I ordered 2 Augusta Louise and a Dee-Lish this year. I’m trying two Augusta’s since my one I got last year got neglected and shaded out by a butterfly bush.

bayarea_girl thanked Christian
  • bayarea_girl

FrozeBudd & Cynthia, I'm glad it helps.

Cynthia, I agree. The 3 Painters I'm most excited to see their blooms are Camille Pissarro, Edgar Degas, and especially Marc Chagall.

I mentioned this thread to Rachel at Palatines, and here is her response. They are awesome people. Helen

"I was just reading your comment this morning. It means so much to us to be supported by gardeners like you. As a small family business they are the fuel that keeps us going during the hot (or cold), hard and stressful part of growing roses.

It makes us so happy to be a contribution to the rose world and rose culture alike.

Wishing you a thousand blooms!"

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

From Palatine’s Instagram

We maxed out their server again, lol.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)

Vaporvac: I think the lower 1 gallon Chamblees price alameda mentioned may only refer to a special price for pick-up sales now. The brand new Chamblees website is showing $22 for 1 gallon roses.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

I didnt ask about ordering since I am close enough to pick up.........but she definitely said they had 1, 2, & 3 gallons. The 1 gallons were the ones I always bought are now a few dollars more, but still a bargain. I am making the trip when it gets a bit cooler and I will report back with photos.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Ben -and any one else on Instagram! Can I follow you ? Jen.lynn.r

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

I don’t post a lot but you can find me under saconnon on Instagram.

bayarea_girl thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Jen,

I haven’t started posting on Instagram yet, but I think Ann and Helen have nice sites.

• pippacovalent

I'm makingandgrowingthings on instagram. I grow more vegetables than roses but all I ever seem to take photos of are the roses lol.

bayarea_girl thanked pippacovalent
  • Lisa Adams

The above from Palatine Roses is neat to see. This does make me ponder what might happen to these small rose farms if Houzz should have so much trouble that we couldn’t post, or more people would leave. I’m sure the sale was mentioned on “the other site”. I haven’t checked, but it’s another reason we want Houzz to keep GardenWeb/ the Rose forum user friendly. Just a thought. I managed to restrain myself from ordering any new roses this year. I have my hands full with what I have. I love looking at what everyone else is getting, though! Lisa

bayarea_girl thanked Lisa Adams
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Thanks Ben!! I have been following Ann and Helen and now pippa and Stephanie too. I find it quicker to post and easier but of course I love it here too. Lately I have been trying to post and once I put a pic in the submit button goes lite green and won’t let me so I have given it a little break .

:)

• bayarea_girl

SOLD OUT roses (3pm PDT 9/13/2019): Augusta Louise, Barock, Baronne Prévost, Belle Sans Flatterie, Biedermeier Garden, Black Caviar, Bullata, Butterfly, Chartreuse de Parme, Chloris, Cornelia, Dainty Bess, Double Delight, Duchesse de Montebello, Edgar Degas,Elfi von Dassanowsky, Emma Haftl, Great Maidens Blush, Grimm Brother Fairy Tale, Gros Choux d'Hollande, Kazanlik, Larissa, Mme Pierre Oger, Moonstone, Mothersday, Our Anniversary, Queen of Denmark, Reine de Violettes, Rosa gallica 'Officinalis, Rosa Mundi, Rosanna, Rose du Maître d'École, Sidonie, Skyrocket, Sunbeam Veranda, Westerland, and Yolande d'Aragon.

Helen

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Lots have sold out - I added two to my order - Pirouette and Foxy Lady. And Regan's should be open for business next week........