Software
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

Third year they leap...

7 years ago

"The first year they sleep; second year they creep; third year they LEAP!" Argh! Patience my foot! This is Madame Emilie Souffrain. She has REQUIRED the best of everything, the heaviest feeding, copious water, most perfect position and exposure and all the "laying on of hands" I could muster to FINALLY, FINALLY, in year number three, produce this one shoot, which the caterpillars are having a field day eating. I pick them off as there is NO SPRAY in back which is the Canine Goddesses' domain. I have permitted her very few flowers, which she attempts to sneak in continuously, in the mold of Grey Pearl, Annie Laurie McDowell and so many others. This bloody thing never produced anything worthy of budding, until this. The mildewy, arched cane full of reddish laterals from the lower left corner across to the lower right of the shot, which, hopefully, will provide blooms I can allow to mature. We just don't appear to have enough heat to push some of these things quickly.




Comments (7)

  • 7 years ago

    Well, she definitely looks worth waiting for, Kim. Even with PLENTY of heat, I have two climbers who have yet to show ANY inclination to throw a long cane (I would be very happy with something like your Emilie's) after three years in the ground: 'Rhode Island Red' and 'Lace Cascade' though both look prosperous, bushy, and bloomy enough. Next year, guys, or else! Meanwhile, I have a supposedly shrubby Alba (Jeanne d'Arc), throwing a 9' cane of monstrous proportions after just one year in the ground...

    roseseek thanked catspa_zone9sunset14
  • 7 years ago

    That's your problem, catspat, you put them in the ground. Cold soil equals slow to no growth. Try a fifteen gallon nursery can. The five gallon I had it in dried out too quickly. For reluctant growers, you need warm roots and TPN (total parental nutrition)

  • 7 years ago

    Kim, I am sure your patience will pay off.


    I think your Warm roots explanation has borne out for me. My roses in pots on a hot patio roots have grown better than roses in the ground with even more afternoon sun.

    roseseek thanked totoro z7b Md
  • 7 years ago

    Cane looks great, Kim. This might be a rose for my garden down the road if I ever have room for it. Sounds like it would love the heat we have here. I just don't need, nor have room, for a 12 foot rose.

    Totoro, I have to tell you that I misread your post and thought it said, "your warm toots explanation has borne out for me." I thought to myself, what did Kim refer to on that...until I read your post again. Guess it is time for some new glasses.

  • 7 years ago

    Roseseek, "Cold soil equals slow to no growth..." You always give great advices and explanations. I have learned so much from you. Thank you Roseseek. Helen

    roseseek thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • 7 years ago

    Lovely! Thank you, Helen! Think of the Romans using steam passed under potted roses to force flowers out of season for their "celebrations". Then, florists who grew potted roses in warmed houses and over steam pipes to force winter flowers. The story of "American Beauty", bought for a princely sum and brought to the US for florist use. It proved a dud for the northern grower who gathered the canned plants around the furnace to dump them, then got busy and forgot about them, only to find the warmed plants were in full, glorious bloom. After reading of such instances, it convinced me I should start bare roots as well as own root plants in pots so the warmth of the soil would help push them. The warmth increases the plant and soil bacteria activity, so the nutrition in the soil is more readily available to the rapidly growing plant. They really do grow quite a bit faster in warmer soil. Give it a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.