Software
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

A few "new" OGR's

7 years ago

Some pretties poked their heads out of the weeds.... Both are nicely scented and both repeat. The parentage of both is [(R. Brunonii X R. Gigantea) X Mlle Cecile Brunner] X [Reve d'Or X ((Echo X R. Gigantea) X Marie Van Houtte)], or in short hand, Nessie X Faith Whittlesey. This first one was actually quite a bit prettier yesterday when I noticed it had opened, but it was hot, humid and I was DONE with being outside, so here it is today.

And, in bud...


A pink sister seedling, actually, one of MANY... These are two years old and the pink one is still in its two gallon can.


(I wasn't joking about the weeds...)


With its petals pried open a bit more...


This fell apart when I tried to remove the weeds from the flower. [(R. Brunonii X R. Gigantea) X Mlle Cecile Brunner] X (Tom Thumb X R. Banksiae lutescens) or Nessie X Purezza.


Imagine this spending two years in a one gallon can of weeds and still flowering... Nessie X Annie Laurie McDowell. No prickles and tons of scent!



Sometimes, something interesting can come just from sowing a few self seeds. This is from Mme Antoine Mari. The foliage is REALLY neat and quite brown-purple in spring. I love the sepals, too. Two years old in a one gallon can of depleted soil with Bermuda grass and still looking this good. "Test by stress".




Comments (11)

  • 7 years ago

    They are beautiful Kim. How exciting to see these unique roses. I especially love the pink sister.

    roseseek thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    How beautiful, and very exciting! I just planted some op seeds from my Brightside Cream.

    This one had self-sown a baby, but I didn’t realize what it was until I’d ripped it out of the ground. I tried to pot it up, but it didn’t make it. I decided to try some of it’s very ripe hips this time. Cold-stratified for 8 weeks, so I’m hoping that will work.

    I‘m fascinated by the genetic possibilities of seedlings! It’s like a spin of the roulette wheel, with no bank account issues on the back end, lol! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Very pretty! Can't wait to see what develops for these in the future. Really nice! Congrats on your new babies!

    roseseek thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • 7 years ago

    Mme Antoine Mari's self seedling developed into this...

    The pink Nessie X Faith Whittlesey has matured into these..
    And, this is a new moss from (First Impression X Art Nouveau) X (Lynnie X Kim Rupert).




  • 7 years ago

    Baby Antoine Mari really looks like her mother. Gorgeous all.

    roseseek thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    They are are all so beautiful! I love teas so much, and really love that you are creating “new“ old teas!! So much beauty in these new babies. :-)

    roseseek thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you. They grow so well along the California coast and in many of the inland areas, they just seem the natural ones to play with. I don't know how well something like these highly scented, extremely double ones would open with Florida humidity and rains, though. Perhaps some of them might one day find their way to Malcolm for him to play with, should he be interested...


  • 7 years ago

    They are all really beautiful, wonderful to see them in bloom and watch them grow.

    roseseek thanked Krista_5NY
  • 7 years ago

    OOOH, terrific eye candy, Kim! The Nessie X Faith Whittlesey looks so dramatic and elegant at the same time, and I'm guessing it smells nice too. With Faith in the breeding line though, I suspect the new baby's hardiness won't be all that strong, sadly. I'll have high hopes for the new moss since it has hardy parents as well as gorgeous rich color.

    Nicely done!

    Cynthia

    roseseek thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, Cynthia! I don't think anything in the line would be hardy enough for your area, other than Echo (poly) and perhaps Cecile Brunner? The rest would suffer greatly in the cold there. Yes ma'am, they DO smell good!

    The Nessie X Annie Laurie McDowell bud opened and it's HOT today. The hot "blob" off the coast which has set itself up to stay has it fifteen degrees hotter than average. We're 92 today, so things are frying. This is the Nessie X ALmD.