Software
Houzz Logo Print
margaret_metzdorff

1930's Tudor House - What to do with big dark brick fireplace

Here's a photo of the fireplace before we moved in. The room may look bright but that is because the front door was open and there was snow on the ground -- it is a dark room with dark trim and facing east. We've refinished the floors and stained them on the darker side which only compounded the darkness of the room. Please help, do we keep it original

for the sake of the house or dare I say paint or tile over? I can't see tearing it out.

Comments (17)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    As noted you need layers of light- recessed lights, a pretty chandelier/ pendant. maybe sconces, table lamps. We also can't see the window treatments or current wall color. Don't paint the brick or trim!

    Margaret Metzdorff thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • 7 years ago

    ...

  • 7 years ago

    ...

  • 7 years ago

    Lights not paint! I like the idea of lights showcasing the fireplace. It is too beautiful and original to the home to paint.

  • 7 years ago

    We replaced the hearth, which appears the same as yours, with the lightest shade we could find in tiles. Removing those red clay tiles and the grate will make a big difference.


  • 7 years ago

    your fireplace is beautiful .

  • 7 years ago

    Leave the fireplace alone, You mess with it and the value of your house will go down. The bricks were probably made locally and the company is probably out of business. I would go visit your county courthouse and look up the history of the property. The local historical society needs to be visited as well.

  • 7 years ago

    Please, back away and take a breath. That totally charming, beautifully crafted fireplace is a wonderful feature. Add some lighting.

  • 7 years ago

    You have a beautiful fireplace.

  • 7 years ago

    I realize my opinion won't be popular but I would totally support you painting the brick. I think it would look amazing. I have always been a fan of painted brick and how it brightens the room. I know a lot of people see historical charm here, and I respect those views (just adding my own), but your house is not a museum so if it makes you happy, do it. I would just personally prefer the uniformity and crispness of painted brick to the multicolored brick here. just my opinion. you have many well thought out opinions here on reasons to keep the brick. just wanted to add the reasons you may want to change it.

  • 7 years ago

    I would see if you could clean the brick and see what other options there are for the glass doors. They were added in a different time period.

  • 7 years ago

    I loathe messing with antique features in a home and I can't stand painted brick. Yet in this case, I find myself actually gravitating towards painting it. I just don't find it attractive. However, everyone is correct that you need to add layers of lighting to this room. I would do that first and then see if you like the fireplace any better.

  • 7 years ago

    It’s beautifu! I wouldn’t paint it. Maybe work on your lighting? I have a dark living room as well, and have lots of lamps. A lighter area rug could brighten up the floor.

  • 7 years ago

    Add more lighting and then wait 6 months before painting the fireplace. You have the right to paint it but it would be a shame to see the original brick covered. Last weekend was our annual historic houses tour and it is always interesting to see how much work homeowners put in to try to restore the original features which have been painted or altered over the years. I can say that your fireplace would definitely be a notable feature if anyone was listing highlights of the home.

    If you do choose to paint, seal the brick first with a few coats of shellac to keep the brick from absorbing the paint.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I think your last response should be painting that brick and not the first response. However, I would definitely spray paint the chrome. I really believe that painted fireplaces will be our generations version of carpet over hardwoods. I would focus on lighting since that seems to be the biggest issue of the room, although more costly. I would invest rather than settling for the cheaper option which may or may not solve the lighting in the room. My guess is it would help nominally.

    Hope this helps and congratulations on the charming Tudor!

  • 7 years ago

    I would paint it and paint it black .