Software
Houzz Logo Print
lxst

Echeveria with weird spots/nibbles? Help!

7 years ago

Hi, there -


I'm kinda new to succulents; can anyone tell me what might be causing these weird little "crop circles," nibbles, and pinhead-sized marks on my echeveria plants? I have them in my west-facing window with fast-draining soil and the pot they're in DOES have drainage holes. They've grown this summer, so the pot now may be too small for the three plants that are in there, though. The echeveria didn't have these problems until I put all of these in the same pot. Extra notes: I was having fun adding arrows to the pics, so don't mind me! Also, they are wet in some of the pics because I just sprayed them with a mix of rubbing alcohol and water in case they have bugs. If anyone has any ideas, I'd welcome the input!








Comments (5)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    It is probably impossible to keep plants absolutely blemish free. What I see is no bugs or diseases. Not sure what you describe as nibbles - sometimes plants develop oedema/edema that is a disorder, not a disease. It happens when plant takes in more water than it can transpire. It could shows as harder, pinhead-sized bumps, or bigger spots. I can't see any of your soil, but make sure it is well draining (you said it is - but what did you use?)

    If spraying plants (that I do not think was needed in your case - use any remedy only if sure it is needed), they should be kept out of sun until they dry. Some sprays could cause 'burn' on plants if sprayed in sun. Also, many succulents have powdery coating on their leaves (often referred to as farina) that protects them. This shouldn't be rubbed off, so when handling - try to handle them by stems rather than leaves. It is unavoidable sometimes, but one should try. Pot is going to be crowded pretty soon, and you may have to repot; I believe both grows quite vigorously. If you like, you can keep different plants together, just make sure they require similar sun/light and watering.

    Alexis Turner thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • 7 years ago

    What Rina said.

    Al

    Alexis Turner thanked tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
  • 7 years ago

    Hi, Rina -


    Thank you for the response! I was thinking the misshapen leaf shown by the left arrow in my first photo and the weird circular and half-circle marks in my 3rd photo might be from pests nibbling on the leaves (I definitely wasn't positive about that!). You think those things could be caused by edema, though?


    My soil is a cactus and succulent mix from a local plant shop. I'll attach a picture of it to this comment. I'm not sure of the base, but it has pumice and perlite in it.


    Thanks for the info about the spray and the farina! I will try to chill out before spraying plants--my bad!


    I'm really appreciating the lessons I'm getting from having plants! I'm learning that even if plants aren't 100% picture-perfect, they are still really beautiful and interesting. I'm also learning a ton of patience as I try to propagate things.



  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    From what I can tell looking at photos, marks in photo #3 look like water marks - hard water leaves them on the leaves. Could be from store if you got them recently. When watering, wet the soil mix, not the plant. I use collected rain water - if you have access to outdoors and containers to collect (and want to do the 'work' :)

    Leaves could get misshapen for many reasons: most often - mechanical damage (plants squeezed together; something falling on them; critters nibbling and so on). Could be also just a bit of decay that has already healed over from leaf being torn or nibbled on. Plant will not die - just aesthetics. Birds sometimes pick on juicy leaves, but usually leave bigger 'poke' marks. Squirrels, chipmunks, mouse, voles - they will chew off bigger pieces (if they like the taste :) - see my Kalanchoe...must be tasty :


    Oedema could be just a raised 'pimple' or a spot. Here are both on a jade plant. It has been raining lately just about daily and my plants are outside - there will be, most likely, lots more oedema - I am away and can't put plants indors:


    If you try to get rid of pimple, you have to scratch hard and it will leave a raw wound that would scab over. Best is to leave it and eventually, leaves will be replaced naturally.

    There is some, possibly, on underside of your E. Perle von Nurnberg in photo 4.

    I can't tell you what the tiny circular mark/crater is in photo #1 from. But I wouldn't worry much about it.

    Good there is perlite and pumice in your mix - but if mine, I would add much more. Perlite (sifted or rinsed) would be enough, is it easier to get. IMO, better draining mix would have just about equal amount of perlite and/or pumice and soil. Something like this (photo from another member):


    Alexis Turner thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • 7 years ago

    Sorry for the late reply, but thank you so much, Rina! I especially appreciate the info about adding more perlite. I'm going to try that and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County