Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

A specific spacing question

7 years ago

Not long ago a fellow forum member brought up the question of spacing,but here I have a specific situation that I'd like to present to anyone who is interested, and read their opinions on the matter. I have just planted out Mme. Solvay https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.35613.1 which is a climber that supposedly can go up to 4-6 meters in height. I'd like to place a couple of smaller roses at it's feet; I was thinking Rhapsody in Blue https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.24115.1&tab=36 and Saphir https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.78492&tab=36. The height of the former is supposedly a maximum of 2-2.5 meters, though nurseries like Barni and Lens list it as being much smaller -more like 1.20 m (about 4 feet),whereas Saphir is listed as reaching a maximum of 1.30. So,how far from the base of mme. Solvay should the shrubs go? Lens states spacing for RinB as being 45 cm (about 1.5 feet),but they are presumably talking about a group of the same rose. What do you think? Keep in mind that my climate is very harsh-very hot, almost rainless summers,and my soil is not great,so I think it's possible that these roses will remain smaller than the maximums given.

Comments (7)

  • 7 years ago

    That should read "then add HALF the diameter you feel most closely represents what you feel
    each of the two roses you wish to plant at the climber's feet are." Houzz, in its infinite wisdom, refuses to allow me to edit my post.

    User thanked roseseek
  • 7 years ago

    Bart, though our winter climates are very different, our summer climates are probably pretty close. Triple digit and dry. For what it's worth, I removed my two, very much loved Rhapsody in Blue bushes because they couldn't take hot temps. The first blooms of the season were lovely, then shriveled up, shrunken wads the rest of the season, if they even stayed on the bush. Usually, the petals fell as soon as they opened. By fall the bush was so stressed that it just didn't want to produce anything. I had one in sun and one in part shade and they were about 6 years old, so had time to adjust. I hope you get more favorable reports from others in your climate.

    User thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • 7 years ago

    O, sorry i 've taken a while to get back and say thanks to you both. I dug up Rinb from it's impossible spot, and found it is trying to go own root,so that'll be going into a pot for a year instead of into the ground. Flowers, truth be told, in my climate, with my VERY limited possibility of providing artificial irrigation, I tend to think of all roses as being fundamentally plants that provide one glorious late spring flush of bloom,and anything else is just icing on the cake. Barni does sell Rinb,and their policy is to only offer roses that are adapted to the Italian climate. They do suggest to provide shade for it. That colour is so unique that I'm willing to close an eye to short-comings. The place in which I had put this plant has awful soil, and idiotically I planted an Our Last Summer right next to it,so the fact that it not only survived but did actually grow,bloom, AND has started to go own-root speaks highly in it's favour.

    Kim,I love your "ungentlemanly" approach to rose spacing. So, you're saying that, if I manage to lose weight, I could cram more roses into my garden,LOL? THAT would motivate me to diet better than vanity!!!

  • 7 years ago

    PRECISELY, Bart! LOL! If "you"require three feet of space to comfortably move between the plants, a "smaller version" of you might only require two feet, hence a net gain of one foot of space around EACH plant by reducing your "volume"!

    User thanked roseseek
  • 7 years ago

    With that being known, then, I would definitely grow RinB. It is really beautiful when it's happy and not quite like any other rose.

    User thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • 7 years ago

    Lol, roseseek and Bart...now THAT‘S a weight-loss program I’d be inclined to join. Except I’ve been acquiring roses faster than I’m losing weight, so I fear by the time I catch up I’ll weigh about 10 or 12 lbs. :-)

    User thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL