aineskow

Feedback on kitchen layout - IKEA - small galley

AMS
September 22, 2019

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! I first started posting about my kitchen remodel almost 2 years ago (!) - first layout post. Not much has changed, but I have lived here for a year and a half now and I'm ready to pull the trigger!

My proposed layouts and a layout of my whole house are below. But first:

• I live alone, and like to cook and bake. I use my cooktop far more than my oven on a daily basis.
  • My house is a 1.5 story from ~1948, with ~1200 sq ft. It is important to me that the kitchen look period appropriate, but not a replica.
  • Because of funds, etc, I am planning on using IKEA cabinets with the Axstad fronts. I know they're thermofoil, I'm OK with it. I'm planning on squeezing a small trash and recycling under the sink.
  • Due to family generosity, I will have nice appliances and am planning on a 31" Fisher Paykel fridge, a 30" GE Cafe induction range and microhood [yes, I've decided], and an 18" Bosch dishwasher. I mention this only because if a different appliance could change my life, it's a possibility. Note: I'm only 5'3" and cannot reach the top shelf of the super tall Euro fridges (I tried).
  • I will be having an electrician do what's needed for induction, add recessed lights, and extra outlets.
  • My personal splurge will be soapstone counters (or if I chicken out at the last minute, honed Virginia Mist).

Something I would love feedback on specifically:

• You'll see in the layout below that on the fridge side of the kitchen, there are ~40 inches between the counter and the far wall. I plan to put a 31" wide fridge here, and then have my handy-woman custom build a 6-7" wide pull-out broom storage or pantry. I figure that the fridge door needs to be able to open, and the storage would be nice. Is this totally crazy? I got the idea from this:

Kitchen renovation in small 1930s Colonial · More Info

And now, IKEA layouts:

House layout:

Thank you!

• Jeanne Cardwell

30 inch stove flanked by 30 inch cabinets.

AMS thanked Jeanne Cardwell
  • Jeanne Cardwell

Left to right: 24 inch cabinet, 18 inch DW, 30 inch sink base, 24 inch cabinet, 28 inch fridge.

AMS thanked Jeanne Cardwell

what is the feedback on ikea kitchens?

My brother-in-law is a very skilled contractor and trim carpenter. I was very surprised when he said they were putting in an IKEA kitchen. It was not an easy thing to do, as he said it was quite technical, but they love it. It looks very high end, and has performed great for them and there two kids. I also had a customer (a doc) tell me that he had also put one in his old house and that it was the best kitchen he had ever had. So two thumbs up from discerning people. Hope that helps.

small galley kitchen needs sll the help it can get!

Sounds like there a many great ideas, now it would be a good time to write them down and convert into a kitchen floor plan / elevation design.

IKEA gray cabinets too dark for small galley 1930s kitchen?

So I ended up putting the remodel on hold because some more pressing projects came up (I ended up getting a lot of new electrical, tearing up carpet and refinishing all the original floors, re-plumbing the main floor bathroom, etc. etc. etc. - had to do the functional before the pretty ;-) ). But I just couldn't deal with the state the kitchen was in without being grossed out whenever I tried to make food. So I bought new appliances, a new water filtration system, installed undercabinet lighting, and painted the floors black. It's not perfect, but it will definitely tide me over until I can spend the money to make it fresh and pretty ;-). This picture is actually before I finished some additional updates and decorating, but you get the idea :) (apologies for the clutter - projects = there's always "stuff" everywhere!)

Feedback from Ikea kitchen cabinet buyers

Hi Stephanie, In a frameless line IKEA is fine and quite reasonable. However all frameless lines are less durable and easier to damage beyond repair than the inexpensive framed lines that now exist. And IKEA designers are at the bottom of the kitchen design ladder. Below a Lowes or Home Depot designer on average for kitchen design experience. Customers also are more likely to design an IKEA kitchen themselves - another problem in the making. . There is no sensible argument from anyone equating the durability of a particleboard IKEA cabinet with a well made plywood framed cabinet. To do so would show a lack of knowledge of our industry. However if you want a contemporary slab door on a modern kitchen you will likely need to be in a frameless line. And since the expensive plywood and plywood core frameless brands only increase the construction value of a frameless cabinet to a small degree getting IKEA can make sense! Just don't get a shaker door or other non slab door style and think you are saving money and getting the best constructed product for the money. . Of course the ability of the kitchen designer is the completely undervalued part of the equation. And unfortunately being a CKD only means you aren't a terrible kitchen designer, it doesn't make you a good one. . In general the best kitchen designers I have met are very smart people with great spatial relations skills and many years experience in kitchen design and construction. Some are CKD's, some are not. All are good at educating their customers and defending good design principles. And some of the worst designers I have met are on the NKBA talking circuit spreading bad advice like the flu.
  • Jeanne Cardwell

Oops, meant to post this one!

AMS thanked Jeanne Cardwell
  • Izzy Mn

ed If you want to make it even more efficient you can add a pot rack above the sink between the cabinets. I made my own with a steel bar attachment on top of the cabinets and made hooks with hardware found at hardware store. The "S" hooks they sell for pot racks face the wrong direction. I hang only my best looking most used four or five pans.

AMS thanked Izzy Mn
  • AMS

Wow, lots of great feedback - thank you everyone!

@Izzy Mn (are you in MN too?): that's a great idea - I had also thought about putting a book shelf up there for cookbook display.

@Jeanne: that kitchen is so cute! That layout could work if I was willing to downsize to a 24" fridge, but with a 30" that would leave only 6" of counter next to the fridge. Or I'd have to switch to a smaller sink base (24") and then I would have 9", but I think that would feel really cramped (?). I will noodle on this. :)

@Lisa: I'd love to see what you did with your 5.5" space if you have photos! And I appreciate your comments about planning the space. I had originally planned for the 12" pullout and 24" on the right of the range, but was concerned that the 12" pullout would lead to waste space. Though I admit having 24" would be lovely next to the range. I plan to have spices, pots/pans, and some lesser used items like my immersion blender and hand mixer.

@Ig222: thanks for the suggestion. I think having the 'landing zone' on the right side of the fridge makes sense too. Eek - I have a lot to think about again!!

• AMS thanked Lisa
  • Lisa

On the 12/24 vs 18/18 thing, you probably want to think about what your biggest pain point is in current kitchen and what is more important to you. Storage or working spaces. I imagine in that layout you posted doing the prep work next to the sink and just using the counter space by the stove just for spoon rest, salt and pepper, etc. and a place to set things I may be adding to the pot/pan. Also a landing space for things out of the oven. I don't imagine I'd do much work there, I'd just want room to hold things I'm using.

So I think 18" on each side would be fine for me. I'd use one side for a trivet where I could place hot pans and I'd put any things I need for immediate cooking tasks on the other side. Especially in a galley kitchen where it is fairly easy to get to counters on other wall. I would prefer to have the storage space that 2 sets of drawers would give me.

But those are all personal decisions so it is best to think it through and imagine how you will work in there.

AMS thanked Lisa
  • Lisa

To help you visualize, I just took 2 pictures of the sides of my rangetop with an 18" ruler. Of course, I do have the luxury of more space here and I have more countertop in the corner, But the truth is I keep all the things I'm using when cooking in the 13 inches part of the counter to the left of my rangetop. The 24" on the right is just used for storing hot pots and pans.

Not sure if this helps or not, but thought it might be useful for visualizing your space.

AMS thanked Lisa
  • damiarain

If you go with the 12" pullout cabinet, you could do something similar to this hack (LINK) where they put a 3 shelf Rev-A-Shelf in a 12" Ikea pull out to improve the storage-capacity

AMS thanked damiarain
  • AMS

Thank you @Lisa! Those photos are super helpful (beautiful kitchen BTW!). I am going through the same thought process myself (ugh - I keep rethinking the same things over and over!). But: my biggest paint point right now is that I have NO counter space next to the range or fridge (see glorious photo below, from before I owned the place - the carpet is now gone, but everything else is the same!!). While a set of 24" drawer storage may be more useful for larger pots/ pans, I'd only have 12" to the left. BUT, with @damiarain's hack, there's even more to consider!

@damiarain, that is an excellent idea. Too. many. things. to. think. about. This is why I haven't done anything yet despite living here 1.5 years (my friends think I'm nutty for taking so long to decide)....

• AMS

And @lisa - thank you for describing your hack in such great detail in the link - I will definitely try to replicate!

• Lisa

@AMS

Did you think about keeping the same layout that you have right now with the obvious replacement of one 36" upper and one 36" lower in between oven and refrigerator?

It is smart to take as much time as you need to make sure you are good with the layout. It is the most important step in the process! No matter what you decide, your new kitchen will be so much nicer with some great organization with all the drawers.

AMS thanked Lisa
  • bbtrix

Hi AMS! Glad you’re finally getting ready to do your kitchen! Have you seen this thread? https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2467902/4-broom-closet-from-ikeafans

It explains how to do a broom pull out.

Which model FP fridge are you getting?

AMS thanked bbtrix
  • AMS

@Lisa - yes I did think about that - to get 36" between range and stove, I'd have to put the range against the wall, or get a teeny fridge... Currently the little microwave cart between the range and fridge is 24" wide.

• AMS

Hi @bbtrix! Better late than never, right? I have seen that thread - I'm hoping to replicate! The FP fridge I'm thinking of is this one:

https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/kitchen/fridge-freezers/fridges/activesmart-fridge-17-cu-ft-counter-depth-bottom-freezer.RF170WDRX5_N.html

• damiarain

I can't quite tell from the dimensions above if you have planned for the 13/16" minimum clearance along the sides for that fridge? Also, how are you planning to align the 30" over-fridge cabinet over the fridge + clearances?

A tiny detail - I would switch the swing on the upper cabinet next to the fridge (so the two uppers around the range are accessible from the range)

AMS thanked damiarain
  • AMS

@damiarain - I am ware of the huge clearance requirements for this fridge, and was hoping that the pullout broom closet may have peg board (with holes) or something slightly more open to allow for circulation. I also know two people who built this exact same fridge in years ago and haven't had problems (e.g., used less clearance). But it is on my mind, and every so often I waffle and wonder if I should just get the 30" Liebherr (whose top shelf I can't reach) so I can avoid the issue. As for aligning the fridge, I had planned to shove the fridge as far left as possible to maximize space for pullout. That's part of the reason I did not select the french door option, as the asymmetry would be really obvious and painful.

And yes, the swing will be switched on that cab - laziness on my part at IKEA for not figuring out how to do it in the software.

• Lisa

@AMS

You currently have 2 18" cabinets on either side of the oven in your plan. If you re-arranged your plan to swap the left-most 18" cabinets with the stove/microwave/etc, then you would have the two 18" cabinets next to each other. Which would be equivalent to 36" single cabinets.

I am guessing that your current stove is 36" from the picture so you are gaining 6" there. And you have space in between the stove and the cart. If your plan measurements are correct, you should have the space.

If that is still too tight, you could do a 30" cabinet in the middle instead and you might have more room to deal with refrigerator clearances. That still might be better than splitting up the counter in to two smaller spots.

On the other hand, I think it is not great to have an oven next to a wall, so maybe it is a moot issue. But seeing your picture of existing setup made me think it might be an option.

AMS thanked Lisa
  • cpartist

Where are you going to store your pots and pans?

AMS thanked cpartist
  • cpartist

Have you considered not having the sink under the window or making the window larger.

AMS thanked cpartist
  • Jeanne Cardwell

Now that I’ve seen your kitchen and the wall between kitchen and dining room I think your plan is solid. My only thought would be to consider a 24 inch stove and a 24 inch fridge. I’m from the school of the more countertop the better. Also, does the wall to your dining room need to come out a few inches on each side? Picture looks like the stove is encroaching on the opening. Your place is darling, please keep us posted!

AMS thanked Jeanne Cardwell
  • Danette

Make sure you figure out where the fridge is going before you order it. You cannot reverse door handle side on most FP fridges (mine is on the "wrong" side for kitchen layout).

AMS thanked Danette
  • AMS

@Lisa: yes, I see what you mean. Having lived with no space next to the range, it's frustrating, and I would forgo wider space between the fridge and range to avoid that (e.g., pot handles hit the wall all the time). My kingdom for another foot of space!!

@cpartist: interesting question. :) When I first started, I thought I'd keep the pots/pans where they are now (stored to the right of the sink on the lower shelf - so, with new kitchen, next to sink in pullout drawer). But then I thought - why not have them closer to the range? But I think an 18" wide drawer would be tight for pot storage. Which is why the ideas above about 24" drawers next to the range (with 12" on the left) are appealing, as I think I could actually get my most used pots/pans in a 24" drawer. Truth be told, I really only use two items regularly: large sauce pan and non-stick skillet (I eat lots of pasta :). So as long as those two were super accessible, I'd be happy.

Regarding not having the sink under the window or moving the window - yes, I've considered it - have the sketches to prove it :) I tried really hard to get the sink and fridge on the same side of the kitchen so the oven could be centered on wall by its own, but it ended up requiring only about 6" of counter to one side of the sink. A friend of mine has that setup and it's really hard to work in. Moving the window would be nice, but I'm not willing to put that much $$ into this renovation. Honestly, my kitchen works for me now, so I can't even imagine how much more awesome my renovated kitchen will be - I'm giddy just thinking about it!!

@jeanne - I knew someone would recommend tiny appliances! I actually considered a 24" fridge - when I lived in London for years I shared a short 24" fridge with a flatmate and it was doable (but we also shopped every day and ate out a lot). So I know I could do it... To bolster your idea, I actually am saving my current fridge/ freezer and putting it in my unfinished basement along with my standing all-freezer (in the upper midwest we love our backup basement appliances!). So a small fridge is a possibility (F&P makes a 25" one)... let's see - what would it get me - 6 more inches. I suppose I could do 18" counter to left of range, 24" to right; or 12" to the left and 30" to the right.... This could work - I need to find a showroom with the 25" fridge to see how small it feels... BTW, you are correct that the dining walls are 25" deep, and the stove does extend past it a bit. My countertops extend about a half inch past the wall currently (on the other side).

• AMS

Thanks Danette - good to know!!

• Jeanne Cardwell

I like your idea of 12 inch cabinet on left of stove, 30 inch to the right and a 25 inch fridge. That would give you a more workable area for food prep. Exactly how many inches is the stove wall? I think I read 8’10”, which is 106 inches and this layout uses only 97 inches. Lastly, I would store brooms by basement steps and get all the countertop you can!

AMS thanked Jeanne Cardwell
  • AMS

Thanks @Jeanne Cardwell. I am counting on at least 0.5" of spacing/filler to left of 12" cabinet so drawers open, and also the fridge panels (for built in look) are .625" each, so the above plan would leave ~7 inches for fridge door clearance/broom closet. You're right, I could hang brooms on hooks heading down the basement stairs, but still need a place for cleaning supplies. I think my under sink space will be full with the garbage/recycling. Any creative ideas for how to store those? I suppose they could go in the 15" tall, 18" wide drawer next to the dishwasher (though I had planned on using that for tupperware).

ETA: yes, the wall is 106" long.

• bbtrix

We went around with so many of these suggestions last year and it all comes down to what size refrigerator can you live with, and what is more important to you, counter space around the range or 4 cu. ft. additional fridge space? Are you able to store all of the dry ingredients you prefer to have on hand in the cabinets you have configured? How much prep space do you really require next to the range since you have 36" on each side of the sink to do your prep? I would prep on the sink side in your kitchen then bring my prepped food to the cooking side. Can you cook comfortably in 18" or will 24" make a huge difference?

Reading that you live alone, like to host dinner parties, like to cook and bake, will have a fridge and freezer in the basement for bulk and frozen food/beverages, I know what would be important for me as a cook. I would go with your sink wall config but I would not get their single pullout for the sink cabinet. I'd be sure to get a sink with a rear side drain, get two doors and do my own pullouts with their drawers and hardware. You should be able to get trash and recycle in one pullout and cleaning supplies on the other. This sink has a center drain so can only fit one trash bin.

On the range side, I'd do a 6" Rev a shelf filler pullout configuration to allow for can and staple storage.

You could also store pans if needed, but you've got the 36" drawer stack across the aisle that you can use for pots/pans/casseroles. The 36" stack holds a tremendous amount. I'd go with the FP 25" if you prefer to stick with Fisher & Paykel. It's 13.5 cf which really should be ample for you. Last year I shared with you that I have 24" LG's in my rental units. My daughter and her son lived in one of the units for years and it always had plenty of room. The FP has more cf in the fridge than my 24" LG as the FP a lot more space to the fridge than freezer. I'd then have a 24" drawer stack next and a 15" stack to the left of the range. I would not want to go less than 15" between the range and wall. My pots and handles are too large. The downside of this configuration is that you'd have to hack the fridge cabinet since they only come in 30 and 36 widths. If you were interested in this plan I could go into detail about how I would do it but it would be time consuming if you aren't interested.

You've had some time to live there now and have a feel for the space. Every fraction of an inch counts so I would seriously prioritize your needs: fridge size, pantry, and counter space. What is most important for your everyday needs and cooking style. I would not use precious inches in the kitchen for broom storage when the basement wall is around the corner. If you stay with FP, download their installation guide which has exact specs for installation types and clearances. Air flow is very important for refrigerators to work correctly. Variance from the specs would likely void the warranty.

Or, if you prefer having a large fridge and are comfortable cooking with 18" of counter go with your plan. Maybe partition off 18" to the right of your stove and barricade it like a wall to emulate the side of the fridge and cook there for several days to see how it works for you.

I know it's painful work, but it is now that you need to prioritize and determine the exact dimensions of your fridge, the filler pullout, fridge surround configuration, and doorway trim so you know exactly how many inches you have left for the cabinets.

AMS thanked bbtrix
  • ulisdone

I would consider resale when designing space for the fridge. A 30” fridge is closer to standard in an American kitchen. Many people would not consider a kitchen with only a 24” fridge space. It’s just too small for a family.

AMS thanked ulisdone
  • AMS

Thank you @bbtrix for your sage advice, as always! I really appreciate your feedback as you are so knowledgeable of IKEA kitchens in particular. It is painful work, for me, and I'm sure for everyone I bother with my constant chatter about this (apologies everyone! :)). I am going to visit an appliance showroom later this week to reassess my choices (I think I have to abandon the FP fridges - the side clearance requirements are too big and messing everything up; Beko has a 29" fridge that only requires 1/8" clearance on each size; maybe Liebherr isn't too tall?). Thank you for the reminder about the under sink solution - that is much better. I haven't chosen my sink yet, but will aim for a rear-offset drain. You are absolutely right that I need to abandon the broom closet fantasy - I need to add this to my decision list (I have started keeping one since I go round and round so much). Last night I went through the thought exercise of just abandoning all space to the right of the fridge to maximize counter space, but even the fancy fridges designed for tight spaces require 2 inches of clearance, so my thought is that - of course - your idea to increase it to 6 and do the rev-a-shelf is perfect. Thank you!

@ulisdone - thank you for the advice. I am in an interesting position - I live in a very desirable neighborhood, on a very large lot, in a very small house. I am not considering resale in my decisions because the next person who buys this place will, like others on my street, likely either knock the house down or blow out the kitchen and extend it. So, unfortunately, my decision is all my own...

• cluelessincolorado

I will refer you to CalypsoChick's NYC galley which I may have done a couple years ago because I think it's so great! https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2696249/my-finished-nyc-galley-kitchen about 1/2 way down posts. She had 8" between range and wall, I had 9" in a previous kitchen. It's not a ton for sure, but I had enough space for a wok handle to spin around and we had the Cafe. I'd rather have 12", but in that kitchen I had elbow room to the right and went with the minimum for my handles and safety.

AMS thanked cluelessincolorado
  • cluelessincolorado

Also, can you switch the frig and range? Is there room on the left side of the kitchen to have the frig open towards living space? Would alleviated the 6" needed for FP frig door opening.

AMS thanked cluelessincolorado
  • bbtrix

CalypsoChick's kitchen is beautiful. I also have wondered why you don't consider the fridge to the left of the range. Moving it and choosing the Liebbher would solve a lot of your problems. With this you'll have no wall interference and full fridge door opening with very minimal clearances.

30" and 18" cabinets flanking the range:

24" and 24" flanking the range:

What does your hallway leading to the basement stairs look like? Is there room to hang a step stool? You'll need it to access the top shelf of all your cabinets anyway.

AMS thanked bbtrix
  • AMS

Thanks @cluelessincolorado! That galley you provided a link to is great. I could in theory switch the fridge and range. That would put the range in a corner, which maybe wouldn't be that bad (I must admit my mother's opinion was that it would be like cooking in a cave, which is why I initially didn't consider it). However, if I did switch, It would enable me to do something like put a pegboard (or similar) on the wall next to the range to hang frequently used items (since that wall is so deep - 55" I think). In the current position, when the fridge door is opened, it is against a wall, whereas in the new proposed location it would open into the doorway. Of course, I live alone, so not a problem :) It would require a true counter depth fridge (e.g., Liebherr or somesuch) since that wall is only 25" deep. I shall noodle, thank you! Side note: I've been thinking about this so long it's hard to remember why I ruled certain things out in the beginning - thank you for encouraging me to reconsider!

• damiarain

We rented a house with the range in a corner where the wall was probably about 5' deep - we had storage on the wall for our pans and lids - it was very handy - tho some of the less-used items did get greasy/dusty (tho the rental also didn't have a vent hood smh). What was less handy was the beadboard on the side wall that got splattered with cooking-stuffs - it was impossible to keep it clean thanks to those darn grooves. Below is a set-up that was very similar.

I might try and get at least a tiny bit of counter on the wall-side - our old the stove was like an inch from the wall (no counter there) so of course bits of ie onions managed to fall between, thus requiring regular cleaning. I much prefer our current set up where the stove is surrounded by counters and the clearance between them is mere millimeters.

AMS thanked damiarain
  • cluelessincolorado

Something else to look into is using the space between framing on the basement stair wall. If the studs were 16” apart you might even be able to fit a shallow cabinet there For your broom. If not, you could still install a very handy spice cabinet, esp if you shift range to that side. If the kitchen is well lit, that should lessen the cave feeling.

AMS thanked cluelessincolorado
  • AMS

Thank you everyone! My mind is spinning. :)

@bbtrix - thank you for those additional renderings. I went to an appliance store yesterday and looked at the 24" and 30" Liebherrs. The store had them installed in a run of cabinetry, and you are correct that they can open quite wide despite being in a cabinet (photo below in case anyone is interested). I am going to discuss the appliance switch with my contractor to see if it could work - one important goal of the remodel is to get heat in my kitchen, and I know one possible heat register location is behind the fridge (when situated on the left). ETA: The photos below are of the 24" wide, 79" tall fridge.

You asked about the basement hallway - it's more of an entryway - see photo below (if you step through the opening and turn left you go down to the basement; turn right you go outside). There is definitely room to hang a slim stepstool, which I use all the time (currently stored next to fridge).

• AMS

@damiarain - thank you for those photos. I was thinking of something like that. If I switch the fridge and range, then I think I could get at least 12" and up to 18" between the range and wall, so that would help reduce the grease factor.

@cluelessincolorado - excellent idea. I will definitely ask my contractor about this. I hadn't considered it before (with the fridge against that wall) since the fridge door would block most of the wall when open. But if I switch appliances, that changes everything!! :)

• bbtrix

What did you think of the 24” Liebherr as a solution? Any others that you liked? The vent does complicate the design of that wall. Hope he can move it to the window wall or to your current fridge location.

Straying from the fridge issue, have you made any decisions about the dining room?

Love your home!

AMS thanked bbtrix
  • AMS

Thank you for the compliment, my place is growing on me too :) It just needs some cosmetic work - don't we all - ha! Honestly the 24" Liebherr is super cute in person (not that it's important) but I got a kick out of it. My only concern is that I will meet the man of my dreams (insert maniacal laughter here) and then it will be too small. My current fridge has 19 cu. ft. (14.5 fridge; 4.5 freezer). My freezer is almost full, the fridge is about half empty. The 24" Liebherr is 12.7 cu ft (9.4 fridge, 3.3 freezer)... I didn't see many other dainty options (sure, the SubZero's were great, but they were also $9000 and I can't justify spending more on a fridge than the rest of the appliances and the cabinets combined).

Re the dining area. You will not be surprised to hear that I haven't made any decisions. ;) I long for a built in bench, but friends and family think it would be impractical. I have decided the room is too small to put any IKEA built-in type cabinets though (without major hacking). I put a 12" deep bookcase in there for awhile along a wall and I felt crowded...

• cluelessincolorado

Couple more questions ;)

I think you said you like to entertain. Where does the entertaining happen i.e. more indoors vs outdoors? You've been there a while, where do bottle necks happen?

AMS thanked cluelessincolorado
  • AMS

I do like to entertain - due to my dainty indoor dining area and large deck, entertaining happens primarily outdoors between the months of May and September :)

• AMS

Hi all, so I've been agonizing about fridges. IF I can switch my fridge to the left (should find that out on Tuesday), then I think I have made a decision! I like the 24" Liebherr, but I can't reach the top shelf, which makes it impractical for me - I know this would annoy me in the long run. So, I'm now leaning strongly towards the mid-height 73" tall 30" wide Liebherr (below) - not the super tall (79") one where I can't reach the top shelf. It has a smaller freezer compartment, but I will have two freezers in my basement so I should be covered. Link to details on fridge: https://home.liebherr.com/en/usa/ncsa/residential-appliances/freestanding-semi-built-in/30-inch/details/cnpef-4516.html

With this decision made (I hope!), I went to IKEA again, this time with an eye for my new layout with my fridge switched. I wanted to see if a 24" counter on the left side of the range and 18" on the right would be 'enough'. Turns out there was a display kitchen with exactly those proportions - see below and pretend the tall cabinet on the left is a fridge. It felt really good! Sure I wish I had more space, but I think it will totally work for me, AND the 24" drawer held a lot - see next photo.

This kitchen also helped me realize that my primary prep space will now likely be to the LEFT of my sink, since the range will be so much closer to that side of the kitchen - I actually pretended to cook in the kitchen above and I was immediately annoyed with prepping on the right side since it was 'so far' from the range. This means I would need to move my dishwasher to the right side of the sink... Thoughts??

• bbtrix

I would for two reasons, closer to DR and out of the hall doorway. I think this is a good compromise without sacrificing fridge space. I have both 24” and 18” Ikea cabs and they store a lot. And your 36” will be great!

AMS thanked bbtrix
  • AMS

I don't want to get ahead of myself @bbtrix, but this kitchen reno may. actually. happen. :) Thank you for all of your help!

• Gcubed

Following to see final product. Looks like it’s going to be great!

AMS thanked Gcubed
  • AMS

Thanks @Gcubed! I hope so!

• Lisa

@AMS I think the space around your range is going to feel so luxurious after what you have been dealing with so far! It sounds like your plan is coming together. Have you done it up in the planner yet? Post it here if you have.

AMS thanked Lisa
  • AMS thanked 4rbnglw
  • AMS

Thank you @4rbnglw - that is great to see, it really does have similar issues! I love the finishes they chose as well.

• AMS

Hi all, I finally got around to updating the IKEA renderings for the new layout with the fridge switched (see below). My latest debate is about drawer configurations. I mapped out everything in my kitchen, and food/pantry items will be in uppers, as will dishes and glasses. My drawers I intend to use for all prep and cook/bakeware (though cake pans/pie dishes will be stored up as well). I originally thought the best layout for me would be 5/5/10/10 in all drawer stacks - I don't see the need for 15" tall drawers. But then did some searching on gardenweb and saw pictures of people's kitchens and 15" tall drawers look useful for some tall items like pots... So now my thought is to do 5/10/15 on both stacks flanking the range, for taller pots and the blender, and then 5/5/10/10 on the sink side (though the planner wouldn't render properly so it looks like 5/10/15 to the left of the sink). I feel like I need lots of 5" drawers for flatware, cooking utensils, measuring cups, saran wrap, tinfoil, hot pads, dish towels, trivets, all those things... FYI, right now I keep my small appliances in the basement (KitchenAid, crockpot, instantpot) and it's not a huge deal to bring them up when needed. Obviously I don't use them very much.

I am meeting with a planner at IKEA next weekend to finalize things - I'm now considering getting quartz counters from IKEA too, and I think a sale is coming up... Right now I'm looking at getting started on the remodel in January (!!).