Software
Houzz Logo Print
jjkoc

Planting Munstead wood

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

For those growing Munstead wood. I am thinking of putting my plant in-ground. It’s been growing well in a large container. I have been procrastinating on planting it because it’s so thorny.

The position I have available is a new west-facing bed, which will get a few hours of afternoon sun and very little indirect morning sun. There is also another position that is SW facing, it gets a lot more direct sun.

The concern I have is that I don’t want MW’s petals to get toasted to a crisp in the SW position but I don’t know if the W position will provide enough hours of light to bloom well.

Any thoughts on MW shade tolerance?

Thank you for your thoughts and any pics of positioning/lighting.


Comments (7)

  • 7 years ago

    Kansas is quite a ways from southern California, so all I can do is tell you about Kansas.

    I have Munstead Wood growing in all-day sun--and that includes the really HOT western sun that, during July-August, has been known to fry more than one flower in my garden, but not Munstead Wood.

    Based on my experience I'd say MW is a sun-lover from the get-go! The only thing I would advise is do not forget to water regularly during the hottest weather--July-August, for me.

    Kate

  • 7 years ago

    I have Munstead on the eastern side of my front walkway that runs north/south. So he gets afternoon western sun along with reflected sun from the sidewalk and from the house (walkway planter is next to the house/garage). I have him on his own root and he has been planted there a good 6 years or more.

    He does fine. Yes, when it is over 107 F for days, the blooms fry but then I fry too! He mostly gets afternoon sun, plus reflected heat and he does just fine. I think that where you are talking about placing him would be fine.

    I do have him on drip (actually my whole yard is on drip) and I can only water him during certain hours on certain days of the week. He does like his drip system (as do all the Austins). He is one of my neighbor's favorites. In fact, I have to watch out for my neighbors. They love to stroll up and down my front walkway and stare over the fence into the back yard! One will sit on my front bench (rather than the bench in her yard). I have to make sure I am appropriately dressed at all times! I have never seen anything like this before!

    As far as pictures go, Munstead's red does not always come true on my cell phone. As you know, he is a much deeper red than what is portrayed.

    This was taken in Sept of last year after a very hot and long summer.

    My house is not tilted, but the photographer (me) apparently can't shoot straight. He is on the right.

    This was taken on a warm afternoon just before sunset.

    That is more of his darker moody color.

    I do use those guards around all of my roses on the front walkway just so people don't get stabbed coming up to the front door. You can see them in the second picture.

  • 7 years ago

    Mustbenuts--love your MWs and other walkway plantings. Very attractive!

    Kate

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks all for your comments, so I am gathering that W or SW afternoon sun would be fine if sufficient water were provided.


    Mustbnuts, those hoops are a great idea. What are they called?


    I was thinking of planting pelargonium in front of MW to distance the prickles from the path I will create.


    I am still not looking forward to digging the enormous hole and easing the plant out of its pot...


    Any suggestions?

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for the compliment!

    No suggestions on transplanting other than you can do what I do with cactus. I wear leather gloves and then wrap the plant parts that I need to touch with several layers of newspaper or an old rolled up towel. That way you don't stab yourself.

    The planting stakes are the jardin half round planting stakes from Gardener's Supply. A bit pricey but so worth it. They really last and are well made. Eventually the plant grows over them and they continue to provide the restraint needed so one can get up my walkway but they are not really visible as summer progresses.

    I would think twice about planting pelargonium in front of your roses if you are thinking of the scented graveolens variety. I planted one around my fig tree and was never able to get rid of it when it spread without removing the whole tree.

    Good luck with all of this. You might want to wait to transplant until you have pruned Mr. Woods and the plant is dormant. That should help with less plant to grab and move. I know you can do it!

  • 7 years ago

    Yes, for moving, wait until the plant is dormant, prune it back more than usual; then, set it on your shovel and carefully pull that shovel to the spot where you want to transplant it.

    Of course, if you have a really large yard with lots of "corners" to pass, that shovel routine may be a bit much, but I'd just go slowly and be patient. Better than getting prickled to death by MWs sharp thorns.

    Good luck. : )

    Kate