Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenr__sternberg

ZZ plant rescue

This was left at a plant meeting last week, I couldn't bear to leave it behind.

Not knowing what else to do, I decided to unpot & check the roots & tuber, which upper part visible here seems perfectly fine.

Comments (91)

• green_vibes (z. 7/8)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

ZZ Raven has been selling in nurseries in Europe for at least a year, so it won't be long now 'til you see it in the US, as well.

Here's some patent and other info on this cultivar:

https://www.nature-and-garden.com/gardening/zamioculcas-raven-zz-plant.html

https://www.nature-and-garden.com/gardening/plant-patent.html

Aside from Raven, there seems to be another black cultivar on the Australian market, named Jungle Warrior:

https://www.houseplanthoarders.com/product-page/black-zamioculcas-zamiifolia-jungle-warrior-larger-sized

• Mike the Fiddle Leaf Fig Guy
    4 years ago

Ive seen people ordering them from Thailand. That could be an option

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks GV, I haven't seen anything abt Jungle Warrior yet.

Thanks Barb for the list of retailers. I can keep an eye at Home Depot, tho' I was looking for it there last year, esp. since I know they buy some stuff from Costa Farm.

I did ask MeyerMike where he got his, but he hasn't answered yet. Then too I believe he also has overseas Garden Buddies, like in Europe maybe.

I can be pretty patient, so I'll just wait. I'm a bit nervous that the black plant might look a bit like plastic, having never seen it person.

• green_vibes (z. 7/8)
    4 years ago

@Karen S. (7b, NYC), I was going to suggest just that: don't chase and definitely don't spend a lot of money on a plant you're not certain you'd like.

I'm not particularly drawn to ZZ Raven, and yet for a brief moment I was tempted to buy it, only because it's so coveted and could get it for cheap, from a local nursery; but these are not good reasons to acquire plants, imo, so I passed on it.

Likewise, I think it's good that you decided not to chase it: wait for it and, once you're sure you really like it and still want it even after seeing it irl, the plant will come to you either by way of gift or at the right price.

ETA: I see that my comment triggered FLFG who seems to have no idea that it is indeed fully legal to purchase a patented plant from an authorized source to offer as a gift to someone else. I thought I’d allay his worries here, instead of turning this thread into anything other than what the OP intended it for.

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked green_vibes (z. 7/8)
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm not following any trend, I learned of the plant more than a year ago & have been waiting for it; not cause it's trendy, but 'cause it's an interesting novelty & variant of a plant I've grown for 8, 9 yrs now.

You missed the point Andrea clarified abt the copyright; breaching it would involve SALE or RESALE, which don't apply when it's a GIFT.

Work on improving your comprehension skills or come back w/ a law degree before you bother me abt this again.

ETA: this comment of mine was a response to an idiotic comment by Mike the FLFG, which has since been deleted. That's why it no longer seems to make sense.

• Photo Synthesis
    4 years ago

Not a single person here is seeking this plant merely for the fact that you've deemed it trendy. Or has it not been made abundantly clear that no one here cares about your stupid lists?

As for myself, I had an opportunity to buy one of these plants back when Costa Farms had it for sale on Amazon and I didn't. Do I regret not buying it? Not even close. I'm not about to overpay for one of these. Before long, the market will be saturated with them. Only then will I consider getting one. Now don't you have an extremely rare fiddle leaf fig that needs neglecting?

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked Photo Synthesis
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Have you seen these yet in person PhotoS?

• Photo Synthesis
    4 years ago

Well, it was a last minute decision, but I went ahead and finally decided to buy one of these. For starters, I already had a gift card, but couldn't decide on what to buy with it, so I decided on getting this. It was only $35, which was only $10 more than my regular zz plant when I originally bought it. Thats a reasonable price for a decently sized plant like this. When I looked online, other people are still trying to sell cuttings for outlandish prices. At least this is directly from Costa Farms, so I know it's genuine. I know this isn't the best time of the year for shipping plants, but they offered two-day shipping. As soon as UPS received it here in my town, it was delivered half an hour later, which was much sooner than I expected. It was cold when I brought it inside, but no damage was caused by it. That was my main concern. Costa Farms left a note in there to contact them if it suffered from any cold damage, but they did a remarkable job of packing it to keep it safe. When it comes down to it, I'm glad that I made the decision to buy one. They're definitely worth the price. Especially since it didn't cost me any $$ to begin with, lol.

The individual leaflets were covered in water spots, so needless to say that I spent a good amount of time and elbow grease cleaning each and every one of them. But it is a labor of love, and this cool looking plant looks even better.

After waiting for at least three years, I'm glad that I finally have one for myself. I already can't wait to repot it and see it grow into a monster like my other zz plant.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Congrats to you PhotoS & w/ a gift card too, well done!

Am friendly green w/ envy; looks so nice after you cleaned it up. Thx too for showing the tag, I'll keep an eye out for it.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Karen, no worries. I have a baby one you can have. I now have three of those black ones. They are so beautiful when in the home. So unique. Great job with your rescue too. I have been follwing this and it seems many have been too.) Hoping all is well my friend.

Just e-mail soon and we can try to get that plant to you when it warms up. I'll take a photo for you if you would like it.

Photo, congrats. It's even hard to find varigated ones too. Mines is getting bigger and bigger)

Mike

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Here is the variegated one

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Karen. I can’t edit using my phone but wanted to show you the baby one I started growing very well if you’d like it. Hopefully you can see it

4 years ago

Congrats on your black zz Karen

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked Mike the Fiddle Leaf Fig Guy
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

MeyerMike,

Wow, your variegated ZZs look so beautifully grown, that all light-colored branch is pretty dramatic.

Yippeee, thanks so much, you know I'll be delighted to take it on when it warms up somewhat, am guessing not for at least a month or more to be safe.

Am so curious where you found these? Can you tell us?

Does the Raven need anything different? Am assuming the light requirements would be the same.

Thanks again MM, so much!!

• Photo Synthesis
    4 years ago

Judging from their Instagram account, it looks like they get plenty of sunlight that's being filtered thru a (50%?) shade cloth. They also left a comment saying that their initial shipments will go out in the 3rd week of January, so keep an eye out for them. You can also see that they have quite an inventory built up and ready to go. 🌿🌿🌿🌿

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked Photo Synthesis
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago

The little seedlings look an awful lot like citrus to me, although the pictures are not clear. Is there a pip in the soil if you clear away a little mix?

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Floral, you may be right abt that, I DO mess w/ citrus seeds in several of my potted kitchen plants. This was in there for a time & is now near there. But sadly, the seedling just dried out, the heat's nearby & got to it, The youngest little seedling still going. I just tried jiggling, rocking the whole thing in the pot, If a citrus pit, it's down too far to tell.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

Following

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago

If it's citrus you should be able to smell it on your fingers if you rub a leaf.

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Karen, hello.

Mines are kept in an East, South, or West window and grow very well. Even in a very bright room I have a huge 4 foot high one with no direct sunlight.

I use lights for that little one because there was spare room on that shelf and I want it to grow fast. But I will send it in Spring. You just say the word and I'll pack it up and ship it to you.

Thanks for the nice comments and thanks for all you do here on this forum after all these years.

Mike

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
  • Andrea ME z5b
    4 years ago

So, just wanted to comment on the black zz situation; one of the growers I buy from in Florida just posted that there will be a new black zz in the market later this year or early next and may not be patented, I say hurray!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

So happy. I found a Raven ZZ plant and have ordered it. Can hardly wait for it to arrive.

Question for meyermike. You have 4' tall ZZ plants? Will you tell me how your treat/water/fertilize them, please. My current ZZ plant is nowhere near that tall. Maybe I am not treating it correctly.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

WalnutCreek, I just had Raven ZZ arrive and it's beautiful!! Healthy, black and full, rather large for it's size and price. I love it. About the same size as Photo's. Now that makes three that I have. I wonder if some are from different cultures? It seems they grow different sizes. As for my large one, it could be a different strain? Not sure. It started smallish but then after a couple of years the new growth got taller and taller. Maybe mature? Not sure.

Feed it a lot and make sure it gets good light. Mines is not in front of any window but it's near a skylight in the corner ofmy plant room. I really should stake it. It leans against the wall in some way. They stalks are HUGE

4 years ago

Who is the seller who sells non patented one? I know that black zz is patented

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Walnut (I'd call you WC, but that means bathroom in French).

Interesting Idea abt maybe different sizes in different varieties of ZZ. That IS the case w/ Spathyphyllum (Peace Lilies). I've seen the very large leafed version called Mauna Loa, I have a regular size one up on a shelf here & the smaller leafed version right here next to where I sit & work laptop.

Then too, it's more likely to be related to age / maturity.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago

WC = water closet. The French borrowed it from the Brits who have used it since the 18th century.

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

@Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.), I am set up for private messaging. Would you mind private messaging me where you ordered your Raven from. Just got a notice from the place I ordered that they no longer have, so they cancelled my order.

4 years ago

Zz raven is currently trending as it becomes available in home depot in the US distributed by Costa Farm!!! Check out your local home depot!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

Local Home Depot did not have, nor did Lowe's. Went online to Home Depot and ordered. Thank you, Mike. It was a bit more than I wanted to pay, but I caved.

4 years ago

Post a picture when you get it!!! When is it going to arrive?

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

Will make a note to remind myself to take a picture and post, Mike Fiddle.

Meyermike, what do you feed your ZZ plants with, please. I want to do this correctly.

Also was looking very carefully at my regular ZZ plant yesterday with my granddaughter. It appears to have two of the fossil looking bulbs in it, and the plant does need to be repotted. So, hopefully, this week I will wash all the dirt away, separate, and repot and, maybe, try to start some new plants.

Karen, what medium did you use to pot your's in, please.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I wouldn't wash it Walnut, It's Winter, I'd wait 'til Spring. If you must do this now, I'd suggest doing it dry as I did mine. Then wait a few days to water. Helps protect the roots / tubers & allow things to heal a bit before watering.

I forget what my mix is, likely C&S mix w/ pumice either 50/50 each of that, or 1/3 each combined w/ another 1/3 of Reptibark.

• barbmock
    4 years ago

You guys are such enablers! Now I am wanting one of those Ravens too.

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked barbmock
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Walnut Creek, sorry about the delay. Deaths in the family lately(

I used Foilage and full strentgh in a gallon of water every week and water between that when it dries out with regular rain water. NO tap water. The salts have always stunted anything I grow in my tap water. Hope that helps) If I remember I'll take a pic for you.

I am with Karen. The best time to do that would be while spring is in full gear. I try to not do anything with mine until almost Fathers Day once they are vigorously growing with more sunlight and warm temps.

Barbmock, they look so nice against your green and variegated plants.lol

Mike

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Walnut,

I'd guess MeyerMike meant to write 'Foliage Pro' as his fertilizer (I use it too). If I'm mistaken Mike pls say so.

Floral & Interested Folks,

The rogue seedlings dried out, but it does appear they were citrus.

Unfortunately, I think I yanked one of them out too soon, root still looked OK , oh well.

But boths pots of the subject ZZs continue fine.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

@Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.), so sorry for your losses. Those are always so sad to us living. And, thank you so much for the information.

@Karen S. (7b, NYC) and Myeremike, thank you both for the advice on holding off on repotting my current ZZ until Spring has settled in very well. I will wait. Also, Karen, most of my gardening experience has been for outdoor plants (with the exception of some African Violets). Now that I am somewhat disabled, I am focusing on houseplants. My point is, I do not know what C&S mix is, so would you mind explaining. I did Google it and nothing turned up. Googled Reptibark, too. Is what you use, the reptile bedding? TIA.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

Thank you. I think it is genius to use the ReptiBark for planting. Would have never thought of Cactus/Succulent mix.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Condolences to you MMike.

I knew what you meant abt FP;>)

Walnut, I 'm in this apartment 30 yrs, indoor gardening for almost all of them. Indoor container planting is all about the drainage; things MUST drain well & fast. I grow a lot of succulents but also collect Hoyas. So I use whatever Cactus & Succulent soil I can find & add equal parts of Perlite or Pumice. C&S mix even tho' it purports to be that, often has a lot of peat which slows down drainage.

ZZ plants w/ their thickened stems acting as water storage organs are kind of succulent. Makes sense to me.

I added the bark component for my Hoyas, which are epiphytic in nature so it gives a looser, airier mix. Same use for my tropicals (Spaths, Aralias, Aglaonemas). It's probably not economically sound & I don't use a lot, but I wanted bark that was ready to use, didn't need rinsing or soaking. I also learned it was used in vivariums, so it was safe for animals (devoid of chemicals...)

I tend to fertilize my C&S plants less than other people, some folks don't use any all.

Also, given what you explained of your outdoor growing experience, I don't find this so much an exact science & wouldn't worry about such correctness. For many yrs. I used commercial fertilizer & it was fine.

We sort of suggest, recommend & advise guidelines here. Given that folks' conditions vary from each other, different things work for different people, sometimes you gotta tinker w/ it a bit.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

@Karen S. (7b, NYC), thank you so much. Your info is most enlightening. When all my gardening was outside, never had to worry about drainage, because the moister quickly evaporated. So that info truly will help me with my future endeavors.

4 years ago

Just saw ashley’s video. Costa farm released black zz, begonia maculata and raindrop peperomia. Trendy and rare plant selections. she found them in her local home depot!!!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

Got my ZZ Raven from Home Depot. Will try to remember to take and post a picture.

4 years ago

Costa farm is ruining the rare plant market lol 😂

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

M FLFG,

Pls make your own thread to share such crappy comments, you spoil my normal, reasonable, sometimes interesting & fun thread w/ this nonsense.

Walnut, congrats, I look forward to the pix.

4 years ago

What did i do this time? I was helping walnut source zz raven

• Photo Synthesis
    4 years ago

If it's a "rare" plant, Costa Farms isn't selling it. If it's a "rare" plant, it's not being sold in retail stores. Stop calling plants rare when they're not. It's that simple.

• barbmock
    4 years ago

We should all be grateful to Costa Farms. They are finding and producing beautiful new plants and making them available to everyone. Many times rare plants are rare because they are very slow, or hard to grow, or not appealing.
    The new ZZ Raven is a perfect example of good work from Costa Farms.

4 years ago

so when a rare plant is distributed in retail, that makes it not rare anymore?!?! who knows if they are being retailed in small quantity. I would have to disagree

• KarenS, NYC
    3 years ago

Updating, the newest frond is all grown up looking like the rest of the gang.

Haven't yet seen any signs of the Black ZZ called 'Raven' here in my area. Then again, I haven't been in Manhattan since 3/20. Haven't been to my local BBS in a month, don't know if they even got in any Spring plants, given the Corona virus shutdowns.