jaykaym

Help with kitchen lighting please

Jaykaym

To set the stage for this: This is for a condo kitchen with a window over the sink, side by refrigerator is the eating area with a window in that wall. The Island separates kitchen and TV area where there are no windows (one of the reasons we are opening that into an island), and peninsula opens into living area where there are ample windows. Currently we have puck lights over the peninsula and the kitchen has a giant florescent fixture in the ceiling. It is very light (and very ugly).

We are raising the ceiling and will be able to install LED pancake lights. Our electrical contractor has found that a 6 in light has the smallest height profile and we will be using those. The big question that we can't agree on is how many and where to put them. We will have unde

rcabinet lights on the side with upper cabinets.

Issues are:

1) I would like 2-3 lights over the peninsula but I wonder if the 6 inch lights are too overwhelming for having 3 lights. These will be on their own switch

2) I will have one light over the sink on it's own switch.

3) The big question is where do the other lights go? I would like a light on each side of the range, I would like a light in front of the refrigerator, and I figure I need one on each side of the sink as that is where I do most of my prep work. But then I have no lights in the center of the kitchen.

I've attached a floor plan of the kitchen where I have the lights marked with X's. My husband says this is overkill. The electrician rolls his eyes. I need your opinions before I give up on this and potentially turn my kitchen into an operating theater.

Many thanks in advance.