Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djacobz568sewi

I am so frustrated!

djacob Z6a SE WI
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have been trying to post for days now with pictures to no avail. The pending will go for hours before I finally delete it. Is it me?

Comments (23)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    4 years ago

Join the club.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5799093/cant-post-photos-for-at-least-october-3-just-me

Houzz needs to fix the problem or it will lose members to other more "advanced" forums.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5
    4 years ago

Have you tried reducing the size? It was mentioned here somewhere. I see there is now an option. I tried it... Reducing it to medium, and it loaded instantly!

Give it a try.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5
    4 years ago

GH, I would not be surprised if photo size is the problem. But I can find no "instructions" on houzz from houzz re the details of picture posting in forums. All my photos are taken with my phone and as far as i can tell, for my android phone, I would need to alter the camera settings prior to taking any picture to obtain a lesser quality ie lesser size photo. This isn't convenient for me. (I do not have this issue with other forums to which I post pictures to)..

4 years ago

In fact, maybe they would prefer it.

Yikes!

And why would that be?

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    4 years ago

yup. Quick way to reduce the image size is open it up... take a screen grab of the image and then post your screen grab.

Also make sure when you select the image and it first shows grayed out a bit... to wait there until it refreshes at full opacity ... before you hit post.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked Nevermore44 - 6a
  • woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    4 years ago

It sounds like you are having the same problem as I had a short while ago - see: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5809909/aarrgh-posting-problems#n=27

My files were small and it didn't seem to make any difference! I was later able to post the pictures on the thread. There appears to be no rhyme nor reason to the stuff that happens re picture-posting. VERY frustrating!

I assume Houzz's interest is in selling stuff - either to the people who post or selling ad space/access to posters to businesses - so has limited interest in investing much in the quality of the posting experience. As long as it is good enough to keep a reasonable number of people returning, that's probably all they will do. Posting slows down/drops in the gardening off-season anyway so they are probably even less interested in doing much at this time of year :-(

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5
    4 years ago

Rouge I take all my photos on my phone and upload from it.

It now shows a ‘new’ option to resize it when you go to upload a picture. Have you tried lately? If not why don’t you try and see if you have the option now too.

or... Maybe it’s just on iPhones?

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

ive been trying to create a post in the tree forum for 3 days .... it never shows up .. whats that all about ...

from my laptop.... using the houzz address in the address bar ...

ken

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

so i post the above .... and bingo.... the tree post is there ... lol .. kizmet ...

ken

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    4 years ago

Here is an interesting thread:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5344619/posting-photos

I like the idea of writing your post and then submitting it. In the next thread you post your pictures (resized, if needed). The smaller the photos, the more you can add. (Well, that's what the above thread said.)

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is really strange, that “frustrated“ post was posted on the 19th and there were several answers to it. All of the above posts are new and showed up since last night. I posted myself that since my iPad updated to the new iOS I have the option to resize the pictures and that has been working ===>>> where did that comment go??? Very weird!!!

4 years ago

djacob, the post you are looking for is on the other "I am so frustrated!" thread!

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    4 years ago

one post has more forums listed??????

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    4 years ago

I just lost a post even without having a photo in there... just text..... same thing, gray and then just gone.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • lindalana 5b Chicago
    4 years ago

Lakeside Surf Rider, ok , still works for me. Sorry can not comment on solutions. I too find it frustrating.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked lindalana 5b Chicago
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don’t know how I wound up with two identical posts. I posted this in hostas, perennials and using houzz. I just saw there are two posts. Go figure—first I couldn’t post then I got 2 for 1.

• beverlymnz4
    4 years ago

So I missed this drama. Is there a shortcut for resizing photo's on houzz or did everyone do that first-with their own soft ware and then post.

This is a bump.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked beverlymnz4
  • bkay2000
    4 years ago

I reduced all mine with my own software to 96 dpi and they usually post just fine.

As someone posted previously, if there is another garden forum we could go to (not Facebook), let me know.

bkay

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked bkay2000
    4 years ago

Beverly, I usually take large pictures with my smart phone because it is better quality. But if I know I am posting on the forum, I will set the size of my photos to be smaller so I won't have trouble posting them.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
  • hostas_for_barb
    4 years ago

Yup, same problem. Very frustrating. I can't even type comments in on my Android phone - I get in a few characters and then they disappear. I am left uploading pictures from my Android phone. Then I immediately go to my MacBook and edit my post - then I can type in a comment and label my pics. Two step process. Ugh!

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked hostas_for_barb
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My iPad has now always asked for the size I want to post. Not sure if that was a Mac update at some point as my phone does same thing.

• gdinieontarioz5
    4 years ago

The choice we now see on Apple products was in a fairly recent iOS update, I forget which one exactly. I now always choose ‘small’, and the photo posts in seconds.

Test: one... two... three

But why oh why does Houzz these days think it knows the proper orientation better than the photographer???