Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iseethesunrise

Kitchen remodel questions

iseethesunrise
4 years ago

Hi all. I’m remodeling my kitchen, and I have several questions. The perimeter will be white shaker style cabinets and the island will be quarter sawn oak. I’m planning on black leathered granite for the countertops. Do you think the black granite will be too dark with the quarter sawn oak island? The stain for the island will be a medium brown. I was also considering a lighter countertop for the island. Do you think that would be too busy in my small kitchen? The island will be a bit larger but the rest of the footprint will remain the same. I’m planning a white subway tile for the backsplash and new appliances. I am not planning on matching the island stain with the floor. Any guidelines I should follow for a complementary stain for the island?

Thanks for any help and insight you can offer!

Comments (37)

• della70
    4 years ago

Just a couple of random ideas -- I would make certain the island had space to store everything you have on top of it. I would not put the microwave above the stove, if possible. Lastly, you have a beautiful shade of green in the dining area which I would use on the kitchen walls and any accessories to add cohesiveness to the entire space.

iseethesunrise thanked della70
  • njay
    4 years ago

Your space is small. In my opinion, I would do all the cabinets and all the countertop surfaces the same. I think mixing finishes and counters will look choppy.

As for the backsplash, don't buy anything until everything is in place. There are a million white subway tiles, and you shouldn't pick one until you know how it will look with your cabinets, counters, and lighting.

iseethesunrise thanked njay
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

You kitchen may be in a smaller foot print but the room is a decent size. You absolutely can do a darker island or even do all 1/4 sawn bases and white uppers - the wood bases are more durable than paint. I would however keep the countertops the same color.

Once you start working with a designer they can put it in the 3d renderings for you to see....

Good luck!

iseethesunrise thanked Debbi Washburn
  • AFritzler
    4 years ago

Your kitchen is about this same size as mine, maybe a bit bigger. I have 1 stain colour and 2 granite colours. I always suggest to my clients that they stick with either 2 counter colours or 2 cabinet finishes, not both. The only time that I can think that we did 2 of each was when the clients were doing concrete counters but didn't want to spend the extra money of concrete everywhere. We chose a very similar looking laminate to the concrete counters, so similar that you may not notice the difference unless right up close.

iseethesunrise thanked AFritzler
  • iseethesunrise
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your input! Do you think I can do a black countertop with the wood island?

• AFritzler
    4 years ago

Absolutely they go together. My own kitchen is stained wood with black leathered counters on the outer cabinets. I love it!

iseethesunrise thanked AFritzler
  • iseethesunrise
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much! I feel much more confident now!

• mollyds1
    4 years ago

You have a table pretty close. Sure you need those stools too? And do what you can to get the garbage can under counter hidden somehow. Whatever color cabinets you’re getting paint above the cabinets the same color, or very close, so transition from cabinet to wall is not so stark. Or take cabinets to ceiling.

• Lynn G
    4 years ago

I love the look of natural wood. Re-think perhaps going with a medium to dark stain. It looks more flat - don't see the beautiful lines of the wood, or the depth of it - natural wood has a sort of glow to it with un-matched warmth. Also, quarter-sewn oak is just beautiful - let that beauty shine through!

My favorite counter material is also natural wood. Wears well, can be refinished if needed, and when someone down the line tears out/replaces the kitchen you put in the wood will biodegrade. I just can't tear up tons of stone from the earth to make "pretty" counter tops (that constantly go out of style). Even if you don't want to put it on your natural wood island, might want to consider it for your counter where the cabinets are white - adds a wonderful warmth to that white!

I like that you want to go with a simple tile style for a backsplash. Some people get so stylized and intricate. It can look too busy.

A lot of decisions to make - didn't realize how many til I did a reno. Good luck!

iseethesunrise thanked Lynn G
  • felizlady
    4 years ago

My only concern with your plan would be white subway tiles next to black counters...it may be too much contrast. DO wait on the backsplash decision until everything else is installed. Will the new appliances be stainless steel? Again, if white, it could be too much contrast with the black counters.

iseethesunrise thanked felizlady
  • Micheal Shisanya
    4 years ago

good

• Annette Vusich
    4 years ago

I would change the backsplash and paint the walls the pretty green colouring. Without serious decluttering you won’t notice all of the expense. Buy matching stools, get rid of the garbage.

iseethesunrise thanked Annette Vusich
  • mjfmbf
    4 years ago

A suggestion about your backsplash subway tile... my kitchen was redone earlier this year. I chose a subway tile that had some rough edges with brown tones. I have some stacked stone on the exterior of my bar and at my fireplace nearby, so it pulled in that feel to the kitchen instead of the straight glossy, all white subway tile.

iseethesunrise thanked mjfmbf
  • mjfmbf
    4 years ago

Close up of the backsplash tile from the other photo...

• Sara Turner
    4 years ago

My kitchen was recently remodeled. We did a pecan stain on Alder (we worked with our existing cabinets and added more cabinets). I think the color is classic as the original cabinets are from 1959 and we just added new doors in matching stain.

iseethesunrise thanked Sara Turner
  • stl1990
    4 years ago

The Kitchen Space photo from Pro in above comments provides great inspiration for what it seems you are trying to do. Because of my small kitchen limitations, I incorporated:

1. 8" ledge sink with side drain so "pullout" trash could go under kitchen sink (great use of the space under half of the sink) www.creategoodsinks.com
    2. kitchen island countertop so backless stools slide completely under the counter which makes a cleaner line
    3. microwave above stove but raised a couple inches so not "in my face" when cooking and projected out a couple inches along with above microwave cabinet to add interest which was matched with the moulding.

Listen to people's suggestions but review several times before finalize. It's YOUR kitchen and YOU will be living in it. It's your decision and important you love it.

• kirbybunny7
    4 years ago

@Sara Turner, love your kitchen! Am thinking of doing something similar, with stained hickory cabinets, white counters and a fun backsplash. What are your counters? Is your backsplash from Fireclay? Thanks!

• iseethesunrise
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My cabinet maker has all the material and is in the process of building the cabinets. The perimeter is definitely going to be painted white, and the island will be quarter sawn oak. The cabinets will go to the ceiling and will be inset. The kitchen and/or nook will be painted to match. I'm not sure if I'm going to change that color or not. The rest of my house is pretty neutral (SW Latte and SW Steady Brown). I painted the nook last winter. I'm definitely going to wait until the kitchen is finished to decide on the wall color and on the backsplash. The appliances will be stainless steel. I'm thinking of a type of subway tile for its simplicity. I will have a trash pullout in the island. That table in my hook may be too large. I'll have to see after it's completed. I do love the size and shape of it for games, and we do play quite a bit. The popcorn ceiling in my downstairs is being removed starting tomorrow. I'd like a warm white for the cabinets. Any suggestions?

mjfmbf What size is your subway tile? I like what you did above the range.

• stl1990
    4 years ago

This is what I did for countertop edge in walkway area to minimize corners and continue square theme. The width of my island worked well with this design since it was only "tip" of a circle. Also the stools can be pushed under so clean lines in walkway. The pic may need to be opened to see square corners with inner projected curve (circle tip) for seating.

iseethesunrise thanked stl1990
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

RE picking stain color: you want to get one that has a bit of the golden elements of the floor, while not being the same as the floor IYKWIM. Some stain colors are more red, some grayish, some muddier, and so forth. Be sure to have your cabinetmaker give you stain samples on the wood that you are using so you can try them out in your space. If you are lucky he might even custom mix a stain to get it just right for you.

My kitchen is small, and closed in, to boot, but with the light cabinets, light wall color, and wood floor I don't find the dark counters to be too dark. I think I would choose to stay dark on the island too.

I leaned toward SW Dover White as a soft, warm white, when I was choosing my cabinet paint - although I ended up choosing a more complex off white.

Could you find a spot for your microwave in the island, and get a good recirculating hood? I don't know personally, but I keep reading that the MW combos don't work that well - and I have learned since my remodel what a difference a better hood makes for the cleanliness of the kitchen and adjoining room!

iseethesunrise thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • iseethesunrise
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I so wish I could have found another home for the microwave! The only options were an island drawer and the cabinet to the right of the sink. I decided my island and cabinet space were too essential. Since my husband and I are both tall, he is going to raise it up a couple of inches. He's also going to be able to vent it to the outside so maybe that will help.

stl1990 I love that curve on your island.

• dempsey2012
    4 years ago

The leather granite counter top will look good and you should probably have it throughout. I would remove some of the upper cupboards as they close in your space and make it look too fussy. Maybe a couple cupboards with glass fronts? Definitely have uppers go to the ceiling. Seriously consider taking the microwave away from over the stove--again fussy and not attractive. Make the island larger and closer to a square shape with lots of under counter storage. I find people always go too small with their islands. You are not going to have a marching band walking around it so you have the ability to add to the size. Do not do the backsplash until you see how everything looks. White subway tile is not my first instinct. for this kitchen. Finally, consider a cabinet colour other than white as I am not sure it works with the more rustic island wood you are planning. I love painted cabinets and there are beautiful colours that look great with brushed hardware and add warmth, especially since you are going with stainless steel, which is rather cool. Finally, consider a counter depth fridge that allows you to have wood panels on the front that match your cupboards to give the place more cohesion and a designer look.

iseethesunrise thanked dempsey2012
  • dempsey2012
    4 years ago

And a panel ready dishwasher.

• nickodemus
    4 years ago

If all you do in your nice kitchen is microwave food, tile is ok. And so is a black countertop, although personally I think it is way too industrial to go with such traditional Shaker style cabinets. if you really cook, I mean sauté, fry, stew or boil anything, ever, tile is difficult to clean. Think about it. All those grout lines? And if you ever flour your island to roll out a pie crust, or make cookies with kids... Well, let’s just say, that black island surface might not remain pristine.

As for the so-called subway tile backsplash, I think it is, by now, way past passe. Be original! And practical... Use a solid surface backsplash. The granite-like Formicas are incredibly servicable and downright cheap to buy and install!! When I redid my kitchen 30 years ago, I couldn’t afford tile which everyone suggested (and I rejected because of cost and cleanability!) so put up a backsplash in the same classic granite pattern Formica that is on my countertops

So easy to just wipe clean. It may not be high-end or impressive enough for you...so use real granite!

And when you finish your kitchen, use it! Make something from scratch and I don’t mean a salad! Have fun!

• pdwu
    4 years ago

costly, but I would move the sink to the island.

iseethesunrise thanked pdwu
  • Sara Turner
    4 years ago

@kirbybunny7 my backsplash tile are regular porcelain tiles with charcoal colored grout. And the counters are quartzite plain white prefab that I got from Granite Outlet in Sacramento. My budget remodel took a lot of searching for bargains!

• mjfmbf
    4 years ago

@iseethesunrise the subway tile are about 12”x3” and the squares above the stove are about 6”. I went to The Tile Shop store and someone there helped me pick them out. Annie Selke brand.

• granny4ten
    4 years ago

I had the black granite and it was a nightmare to keep looking clean. You could see every speck of dust.

iseethesunrise thanked granny4ten
  • blueskiesinNM
    4 years ago

black leathered granite is not the same as shiny granite when it comes to "showing every speck of dust" I had leathered and loved it.

iseethesunrise thanked blueskiesinNM
  • Susan Kjell
    4 years ago

You have a similar space to ours. I debated like you over the two tones for the cabinets but we finally went for it and I do not regret it. The island feels like a piece of furniture instead of being just part of the kitchen. I also think getting a countertop with a little more movement in the tile makes it a focal point and keeps it from being "dirty". Our floor is Acacia which goes through the whole house and picks up some of the brown tone of the island.

iseethesunrise thanked Susan Kjell
  • Badass Chick Extraordinaire
    4 years ago

Our countertops are black granite and I love them. They look awesome and are so easy to keep clean. But ALL of our countertops are black. I'm unsure about mixing/matching countertops...

iseethesunrise thanked Badass Chick Extraordinaire
  • Susan Kjell
    4 years ago

Mixing countertops was scary to me too and when I talked to our designer she said it is done all the time. I think having a predominantly black color in the island and then doing all black on the side counters helps to make it look seamless. I would also choose the same finish on all the counters (matte vs shiny).

iseethesunrise thanked Susan Kjell
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago

Go look at my page, idea books, new build Gabe, I have different granite & Maple cabinet
    /island color, island is a "Thunder " (grey brown) and other perminter are a "Spice".

iseethesunrise thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago

island granite is Everest white- which is creamy & perimeter counters are a black granite - which I now wish I had gone with the leathered.

iseethesunrise thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • HU-2697236231064
    4 years ago

I think I would go for a quartz counter top that resembles marble rather than black. Or at least on the wood island. All black will be too dark, and maybe a little dated.

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    4 years ago

I would go with black countertops on perimeter cabinets and with marble looking, light quartz on island. The balance would be just right.